• [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info!!! I've been seriously itching to see those dam cards!

And now....onto what I think of them....and yes I read them all.

This might be just me, but does anyone else think the Rogue got the best cards? Seems like more variety there...which leads me to my second opinion.

While the cards look great, and there are some real cool effects in there, I think that too many are repeated. I would have liked instead to see the duplicate cards as generic lore cards. The way they are now, it seems like there are only a few that makes each lore master different. The Cleric and Wizard really look a lot a like to me.

Anyone else feel that way too? I hope they add a lot more lore cards in later expansions. Because right now, the cards really do seem to be a base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was interesting how the low-level Warrior cards were really boring, being mostly repeats from other decks. But once you get to some of the most expensive Warrior cards--Holy Crap!!! The Assault card is the sort of thing you plan an entire battle around. Looks like fun.

I like a few of the other touches--like the Cleric being able to use terrain for (Commune with Nature) or against (Hill Rumble, River Rage, Forest Frenzy). And I will agree that those Rogues look pretty awesome. There's nothing like screwing with your opponent's battle plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I don't like what seems to be a varying 'reward' for having a higher level lore master. There are only 2 Warrior cards that are any better at Level 2 than at Level 1, while 6 Cleric cards have level dependency. Except for getting the level 3 landmark if you're using Landmark rules, I can hardly see going above Level 1 Warrior to be worth doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Well it's very cool to see all the cards, I am kinda disappointed in 2 things:

1) The variety. I was expecting the cards to all be different. Or at least most of them. Instead, their seems to be alot of duplicates. Ah well, it's still cool though.

2) The lack of reward for having a high level Lore Master. I too was also worried, as not very many of the cards change effects based on the level of your Lore Master. In this case, there doesn't seem to be much reason to get more then 1 Lore Master up to level 3 (for the extra cards and lore you can carry and such).

Anyway, very cool DOW. And I was very impressed that there is only 1 card out of all of them that may cause a question about how it works (First Strike, it's a Warrior card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McIntyre
Canada
Unspecified
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget about possible scenerios where you might have limited choice of lore masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Kennedy
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also disappointed to see the equivalent of the "All Out Offensive" from Battle Cry (order all units) re-introduced -- only stronger since everyone also gets +1d. It costs a lot (13 lore) but that sounds like a game breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Cote
United States
Central Village
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very cool cards in there - can't wait to try them out. One thing I found surprising; I figured the cleric would not be worth much, but he gets a couple of really cool effects (Mists of Terror looks like it could be pretty useful)

Can't wait to play; my copy will be here Friday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
thelivekennedy wrote:
I was also disappointed to see the equivalent of the "All Out Offensive" from Battle Cry (order all units) re-introduced -- only stronger since everyone also gets +1d. It costs a lot (13 lore) but that sounds like a game breaker.

The difference here is it costs, at the very least, 13 Lore. That's at the least 7 turns of saving up Lore and never drawing any new lore cards for that entire time. I'm thinking it's not gonna be so bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. That assualt card look way to powerful.

thelivekennedy wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Price
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmb
Shryke wrote:

The difference here is it costs, at the very least, 13 Lore. That's at the least 7 turns of saving up Lore and never drawing any new lore cards for that entire time. I'm thinking it's not gonna be so bad.

Nope, you mean 'at most' 7 turns. Don't forget you'll be collecting lore for all the lore symbols on dice rolls from combats.

Steve P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Price
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmb
LEHaskell wrote:

I assume that any die showing a Lore face can be re-rolled for a crit. On the second roll, do Lore faces count as crits or only banner color faces?

If the card says Lores are hits then they count towards re-rolls. Remeber the rules say all lore cards supercede the basic rules, so lores are hits.

Only banners on the re-roll. Check the example, it shows shields casuing hits but on the re-roll requires banners.

Steve P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven Volckaert
Belgium
Kortenberg
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stenicplus wrote:
LEHaskell wrote:

I assume that any die showing a Lore face can be re-rolled for a crit. On the second roll, do Lore faces count as crits or only banner color faces?

If the card says Lores are hits then they count towards re-rolls. Remeber the rules say all lore cards supercede the basic rules, so lores are hits.

Only banners on the re-roll. Check the example, it shows shields casuing hits but on the re-roll requires banners.

Steve P

Correct! However there is also the Fireball card where "Any Lore rolled kills the entire unit!" Here a lore rolled will kill a creature instantly. No re-rolls required.
I'm not sure if there are any other cards like this.

Lieven

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
All-Out Offensive was a gamebreaker in Battlecry. But Battlecry didn't feature a Battle Back option. Perhaps that, coupled with the high lore cost, will make it more balanced than in BC.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few generic effects (such as adding +1 die to an attack and so on) that are repeated for several Masters. I'd say 2-3 cards in every Master Deck (15 cards each) are repeated in some other(s) Master Deck. I'd say this is a feature, not a bug. Every Master has a very well defined "personality". And take into account that, while in a typical game you mix cards from several Masters in a single Lore Deck, you could also want to play with a single Master deck (like the scenario with Level 1 Wizards).

It is strange that there's little incentive to go for a Level 2-3 Warrior, though. Maybe the Warrior's Landmark will prove very powerful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel de la Casa
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the repeated cards fall on the low cost/low power side. The really powerful effects of each master are very unique (only exception: "counterspell").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.