Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug O
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been interested in this game for a while now...

One thing holding me back is the price!!!!! I'm now seeing this available at on-line stores for ~$60, which seems a bit pricey for the contents included.

I expected this game to retail at a price closer to recent games like Scoville or Penny Press, and be available at the OLGS's for $35-$45.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why so expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's the publisher price policy.. his price are higher than normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Fowkes

Farmington Hills
Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to have it, but not paying current prices. At that price I'm betting they won't move much product and months from now they'll eventually have to lower it. Even Caverna was available for under $70 at some point during the last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lollixo wrote:
I guess it's the publisher price policy.. his price are higher than normally.

Not exactly. Their prices are similar to other publishers', but they force online stores to limit discounts to 10%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sekwof wrote:
Would love to have it, but not paying current prices.

Ditto. Penny Press it is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug O
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fing it very interesting that the designer of this game is EXTREMELY involved in both starting and answering threads for his game. However...

He has chosen to be silent on this issue. I would like to see him add to this discussion and weigh in on how his game set the price point.

Right now, I see the game being offered at an Imperial Assault price point, whereas it's main competition (Penny Press) is being sold on-line at $25-$30 less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OgieGamer wrote:
I fing it very interesting that the designer of this game is EXTREMELY involved in both starting and answering threads for his game. However...

He has chosen to be silent on this issue. I would like to see him add to this discussion and weigh in on how his game set the price point.

Right now, I see the game being offered at an Imperial Assault price point, whereas it's main competition (Penny Press) is being sold on-line at $25-$30 less.

The only reason I haven't commented is that I have no say in the pricing of the game - that is wholly down to the publisher. I would love it if the game were cheaper, but its not my money being spent to produce it. I really don't know how publishers decide on their RRPs - I guess it will vary from publisher to publisher.

BTW, I don't see Penny Press and Extra! Extra! as competitors. Yes they have the same subject matter as theme, but they are very different games which I suspect will appeal to different audiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayfair's pricing policy limits OLGS and FLGS to the same discount - 10%. So, yes, you will see less of a discount on Mayfair titles online, but it's a program designed to help brick and mortar FLGS stores compete. Your average FLGS can't afford to offer 30-40% off. With their overhead, that makes most operate at a loss by selling games. However, many FLGS can't compete with the deep discounts and consistently lose sales because of that.

Many have often complained about it but in the end, that extra 20% still only equates to about $10 on an average $50 game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
it's a program designed to help brick and mortar FLGS stores compete.

Yes, FLGS like Target and Toys "R" Us. (That policy only started when Mayfair signed contracts with them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug O
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Mayfair's pricing policy limits OLGS and FLGS to the same discount - 10%. So, yes, you will see less of a discount on Mayfair titles online, but it's a program designed to help brick and mortar FLGS stores compete. Your average FLGS can't afford to offer 30-40% off. With their overhead, that makes most operate at a loss by selling games. However, many FLGS can't compete with the deep discounts and consistently lose sales because of that.

Many have often complained about it but in the end, that extra 20% still only equates to about $10 on an average $50 game.

I understand that Mayfair's policy is making this game appear more expensive when compared to other publisher's games at an OLGS. However, your example of "an average $50 game" highlights the problem. This game should have a MSRP in the $45-50 range, but is listed with a $65 MSRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OgieGamer wrote:
FunkyBlue wrote:

I understand that Mayfair's policy is making this game appear more expensive when compared to other publisher's games at an OLGS. However, your example of "an average $50 game" highlights the problem. This game should have a MSRP in the $45-50 range, but is listed with a $65 MSRP.

I don't make the prices nor am I involved in production, so I can't argue that. There is a lot of double sided-cardboard and a lot of cards in the box, though.

However, to revise my previous statement about the $50 game, we're talking a $13 difference in this instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
There is a lot of double sided-cardboard and a lot of cards in the box, though

Well, that is down to me.

I wanted the game to work for all player counts (from 2 up to 6) and to cater for casual gamers who want a 45 miniute game and those (like me) who prefer a 2 hour game. Hence each player board is double-sided (with very different designs on each side); the tiles are double-sided (to provide a Tetris element to the game); and the game boards are all double sided (one side for 2-4 players, the other for 5-6).

There are also three decks of cards to make the set collection both interesting and challenging - and that is after I removed 2 suits (fashion and arts) at the publisher's request.

Sorry! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.