Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Notice of Bankruptcy - One of the designers on this site rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
O.k.

So i received a notice of bankruptcy, addressed to my BGG username/real name, stating that I may be the creditor of a debtor, who happens to be a game designer here on BGG. To the best of my knowledge, I have never done business with this individual, but am wondering if anyone has received anything similar? The letter just arrived today.

thx in advance,
jeff
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So,

I did a little digging, and the designer in question ran some Kickstarters, one of which I backed (and did receive).

Interesting, as this is the first time I've seen this before.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_canak wrote:
So,

I did a little digging, and the designer in question ran some Kickstarters, one of which I backed (and did receive).

Interesting, as this is the first time I've seen this before.

It wouldn't be related to this, now would it?

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1384749/ftc-brings-hammer-do...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting,

but negative. Mine is for another.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad it is not for Airborne In Your Pocket.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the 5th Street games?

I received one for Farmageddon (expansions are still owed), others have for Smash Monster Rampage, etc...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I also recently received a similar notice, and mine involved 5th Street Games. It did not say '5th Street Games' in the notice, but the name of the fellow (debtor) on the notice is with 5th Street Games, so I assumed it had to do with that, since I knew they were going to declare bankruptcy.

I am only a creditor because I backed an earlier game of theirs, (Farmaggedon), which I have. I was sorry to hear of their misfortune.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shockey
United States
Arbutus
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Too bad it is not for Airborne In Your Pocket.

Or Up Front...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;The old that is strong does not wither,Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:
I also recently received a similar notice, and mine involved 5th Street Games. It did not say '5th Street Games' in the notice, but the name of the fellow (debtor) on the notice is with 5th Street Games, so I assumed it had to do with that, since I knew they were going to declare bankruptcy.

I am only a creditor because I backed an earlier game of theirs, (Farmaggedon), which I have. I was sorry to hear of their misfortune.



I could be wrong but I took the fact that it said his name and not 5th St as being an indication that he had failed to incorporate 5th St and therefore filed personal bankruptcy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
winterplum wrote:
I also recently received a similar notice, and mine involved 5th Street Games. It did not say '5th Street Games' in the notice, but the name of the fellow (debtor) on the notice is with 5th Street Games, so I assumed it had to do with that, since I knew they were going to declare bankruptcy.

I am only a creditor because I backed an earlier game of theirs, (Farmaggedon), which I have. I was sorry to hear of their misfortune.



I could be wrong but I took the fact that it said his name and not 5th St as being an indication that he had failed to incorporate 5th St and therefore filed personal bankruptcy.


Perhaps you are right. I'm not well-informed on such things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Emperors Grace wrote:
winterplum wrote:
I also recently received a similar notice, and mine involved 5th Street Games. It did not say '5th Street Games' in the notice, but the name of the fellow (debtor) on the notice is with 5th Street Games, so I assumed it had to do with that, since I knew they were going to declare bankruptcy.

I am only a creditor because I backed an earlier game of theirs, (Farmaggedon), which I have. I was sorry to hear of their misfortune.



I could be wrong but I took the fact that it said his name and not 5th St as being an indication that he had failed to incorporate 5th St and therefore filed personal bankruptcy.


Painful lesson to learn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan D
United Kingdom
Brislington
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct.

it affected 5 kickstarter campaigns:

Farmageddon (the long promised expansion)
Mob Town
Smash Monster rampage
Ghosts love candy
Chromacubes

The first 3 backers have had to pay postage on top of what was paid to get their games (thankfully to the publisher who is basically giving the games away for free since they didn't get paid... Mad props to QPC publishing)

the last 2 never got published.

I was a big supporter of Phil... but he stretched himself too thin and was robbing Peter to pay Paul... so the money was never used for the games... terrible stuff really.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.