Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both of these games seem to go for the same thing: a paranoia fueled hidden identity negotiation and backstabbing experience, stripping down BSG style gameplay to around an hour.

Has anyone played both, and compared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Reed
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Joel Eddy will chime in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can chime in. I did review both, so if you want detail on them each, feel free to watch... if you can stomach it!

Quick bullets:

Dark Moon is shorter than Homeland.

Homeland plays six versus Dark Moon seven.

Homeland's "trick" is the three teams part. That's good.

Dark Moon's "trick" is the forced voting everyone so often. That replaces the second deal of loyalty cards from BSG.

In Homeland, the terrorist has to be a bit more subtle? I'm not sure that's accurate, but what the terrorist do (and politicians to a degree) is done hidden. The agents have to dig for clues.

In Dark Moon, the infected player has to lie to everyone's face... a lot. There is a bit more table talk in Dark Moon, and more mental gymnastics and trickery. Homeland is a bit quieter.

Myself (and my Thursday night group... at least a lot of them) really enjoy hidden traitor/social deduction style games.

I think to a person One Night Werewolf is our favorite, and Dark Moon is a close second. But, everyone also likes Homeland (and Dead of Winter) as well.

Both Homeland and Dark Moon are nice because they are relatively quick but feel like a "full" game when you are finished. But, you can play two games in a row very easily with Dark Moon once everyone is familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to play Homeland... sounds pretty awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What scares me about homeland is the competitive Co-op aspect. I hate this about dead of winter. I suppose... if there is no way for everyone to lose then there shouldn't be a problem. Is there a way for everyone to lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrPretty wrote:
What scares me about homeland is the competitive Co-op aspect. I hate this about dead of winter. I suppose... if there is no way for everyone to lose then there shouldn't be a problem. Is there a way for everyone to lose?

If you want a game where everyone wins or loses together, Homeland is not for you. Neither is this one, I suspect. Nor any of this genre of hidden traitor coops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No I don't want it so everyone wins and loses together... what I hate about dead of winter is that there is a moderate incentive to just tank the game even if you are not the betrayer so no one wins rather than potentially being the only loser.

I assume this game doesn't have that since it's based on bsg. And I'm unsure of homeland?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Homeland the only possibilities are:

* One person wins
* Everyone loses

Everyone losing is unlikely, since it requires the terrorist track to fill when there isn't a terrorist mole player, but it's possible.

I don't see a non-mole player ever doing this deliberately, because (a) you don't know whether there's a mole or not until the end, and (b) you don't know how many VPs people have until the end.

So I think tanking the game is a non-issue for Homeland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then it is ordered. Thanks for your help.

I just don't want another Dead of Winter situation...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This crowd should really check out a 5 player game of specter ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played specter ops 5 player and it was certainly fun.

I am a little skeptical of the person in the role of traitor being fun after a few plays because they just seem kinda useless and the hunters have no reason to act suspiciously. And when you're found out what good are you really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Tsekov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zenmazster wrote:
This crowd should really check out a 5 player game of specter ops.
Very different. I cannot set preference anyway, both are great games. Homeland is good too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.