Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a four player game of TtR USA 1910 with the mega game rules in play. The rules include the use of all tickets (so a larger random sampling) and both bonus cards were in play (longest route and globetrotter which is 15 for the most completed tickets). When one draws tickets they draw 4 and keep at least 1 so there's a little better chance to get some good tickets there.

I own TtR: Europe and that's all I play so the game seemed too dumbed down to me and at the same time unforgiving. Example: Ryan failed to complete 3 tickets because he missed one connection, in TtR:E he could have simply taken the station and made those tickets. (Why didn't they throw a bone to the TtR: USA owners and give them stations and passengers with this expansion?) The strategy also felt lacking because there are no tunnels to chance, but I don't see how they could change that without a new board, so I forgive DoW there.

I don't want to sound too down on the game DoW did an awesome job, once again, with the production! The cards are beautiful and the globe trotter and logest route cards look great.

The other thing that happened this session was that I had the northwest free and clear so I racked up the points on the 3 continiuous 6 tile spaces for the 15 points each. I really ran away with the game with my long route and ending the game early with others having incomplete tickets.

The final score was:

Steve(me) 153
Dave 98
Richard 74
Ryan 73 (lost 3 of his tickets due to one connection)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ironcates wrote:

I own TtR: Europe and that's all I play so the game seemed too dumbed down to me and at the same time unforgiving. Example: Ryan failed to complete 3 tickets because he missed one connection, in TtR:E he could have simply taken the station and made those tickets.

Yes. Part of what makes Europe multi-player solitare.

Quote:
(Why didn't they throw a bone to the TtR: USA owners and give them stations and passengers with this expansion?) The strategy also felt lacking because there are no tunnels to chance, but I don't see how they could change that without a new board, so I forgive DoW there.

Um. Giving more random chance makes the game more strategic?

I don't think words mean what you think they mean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More available decisions makes a game more strategic in my opinion. Drawing cards on a tunnel, while random, can be migigated by stocking up one or two extra. Having the option of playing a station -4 points on your turn will make the scores closer and you'll have to beat your opponents with better strategic decisions, not the game killer block.

Good points though and I hear what your saying, I just feel like there's nothing really added on this expansion besides the globetrotter card. Even if DoW threw in stations one could still play without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.