United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb

Mississippi Queen is a racing game where players race paddle boats up the Mississippi River. The game board consists of tiles that get connected together in 1 of 3 possible spots. Each tile has a hex grid on it that players use to move their boats along. Some of the hexes are open water; others contain island, sand bars, logs or docks. The board will have at least 2 tiles placed at all times. As a player enters the tile that is furthest along the rive a new tile is placed. A random tile is drawn from the stack and then a special die is cast that will indicate if the river is to be built straight, left or right.

To win the game a player must be the first to reach the finish line after stopping to pick up 2 passengers along the way. The passengers will show up as the map is built. They appear on docks randomly pictured on the tiles. Players have to maneuver they boats to pick up these passengers, but the must enter the dock at a speed of 1.

On his turn a player can move his boat. First he must adjust his speed. This is kept track of on one of the board wheels. (Numbered 1-6) A player can move the speed wheel 1 space for free in either direction (faster or slower). If a player needs to adjust the speed by more than one, he must spend 1 coal for each additional change. So to go from a speed of 6 to a speed of 3 cost you 2 coal. The amount of coal a boat has is kept track of on the right wheel. Coal can be refilled by stopping at a coal dock. (if playing with the black rose expansion there are other ways to fill coal)

In a nutshell that’s how the game playes. There are rules for bumping other boats and penalties for ending on a sandbar or log jam.

I enjoyed my 1st play of this game, however we used the black rose expansion and I am not sure this did much but to prolong the game. I would certainly add in a timer next time we played this to keep the late race AP down to a minimum.

The game offers a solid, easy to teach race system with a variable course for added replay value. I recommend this game to race game fans who are looking for a game on the lighter side that still offers interesting choices to the driver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g s
United States
Moab
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I find this game a lot of fun, in part because my son finds it a lot of fun, so it is one of the games we can play together. Not sure how long this would otherwise hold my interest. But...all in all, it is pretty nifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.