Popular Tags: [View All]
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoying the game and thought I'd start the ball rolling on the community tips front - please add your own.

Tips are given based on normal mode of difficulty and after only 4 days of playing on a PS4.

General tips:

1. Use the manual save feature - it's easy to get killed and lots happens between automatic save points; so use it or lose it.

2. Always investigate places of power as soon as you see them. Not only do they give you a free ability point but if you are spotty at bothering to collect them you'll likely forget which ones you've investigated. The map/HUD doesn't appear to keep you right.

3. Meditating even for the shortest time will give you full health and restock your potions (if you have alcohol).

Navigation and exploration:

4. Always investigate notice boards and take all that they have to offer. This will help fill in your map with points of interest. The game appears to be fairly relaxed and only when moving on the main plot line can you lose quests. (Generally this is well signposted.)

5. Your horse can be summoned by whistling and will ignore some obstacles to reach you. Dismount and cross the river - whistle and be amused as he crosses to join you.

6. Fall damage is excessive - press roll when you're falling to mitigate a good proportion of damage. (Seriously Borderlands 2 and Skyrim have spoiled us... Kids be breaking legs everywhere.)

7. Use your Witcher senses to see enemies and what you can loot. This is particularly helpful underwater and for avoiding combat. Once something has been looted it will no longer glow.

8. Sign posts act as fast travel points. The edges of the map also act as fast travel points. There is no cost of using fast travel, though you do get punished with a wee loading screen.

9. Generally speaking you should loot everything. No one cares, with the exception of guards/soldiers. Don't steal if guards can see you. If you do, don't fight them, instead run away and all will soon be forgiven.

Character setup/equipment:

10. Remember to equip skills - you can only have a small number equipped at a time, to a maximum of 12. Having a level in a skill means nothing if it is not equipped - so spend ability points with this in mind!

11. Match skills to mutant powers by colour for additional bonuses.

12. Meditate even the minimum amount of time for full health and fully replenished supplies (assuming you have alcohol one will be used up and all of your oils, potions and bombs will be restocked!)

13. If you can create a new potion, oil or bomb you might as well.

14. Generally you should try to avoid having to spend money on components. Remember you can break down existing items to yield their components which is far more efficient than selling them and then buying the components.

15. There is a potion called ‘clearance’ which allows you to reset all of your skills for a mere 1K Gold.

16. You can increase your carry weight by equipping a saddle bag to your horse.

17. Open all books/documents at least once before selling them - they may give you quests, recipes, places of interest or new entries for your bestiary.

18. Generally it's best to sell items to their respective trade/trader - eg weapons to blacksmiths and ingredients to alchemists. Traders level up their stock to suit you.

19. Know your recipes - 3 weak mutagens can make 1 better one, etc.

20. Always carry a repair kit, so if your stuff get damages mid fight or mid quest you can repair. (Repair kits can be used in combat.)

Combat:

21. There doesn’t appear to be any reason not to always hold block when in combat. It doesn’t work with all opponents but is worth a try. A counter can be done by pressing block just as an opponent strikes you - difficult to master and sometimes not worth the risk.

22. Don't roll if you can dodge. Rolling can leave you vulnerable, costs you adrenaline - delaying the availability of signs - and can remove the opportunity to counterattack.

On the other hand, Dodge leaves you free to take advantage of an opponents mistimed attack, without costing you adrenaline. This said some opposition or attacks require you to roll out of trouble, as dodge isn't sufficient. Generally the bigger the target the greater chance that a roll is required.

23. Being prepared for a fight will make it much easier and can turn the impossible possible. So use the correct oil, potions and research your target so you know their weaknesses.

24. Signs are a big part of the game. Different signs work better or worse on different opponents and situations- the Quen sign is hugely helpful in almost all combat situations.

25. Eat and drink during combat to restore your health. This is kinda the only value food has so stuff your face!

26. Due to the open world nature of the map and, as monsters have absolute positions and stats, it is possible to find a high level monster early on... While you may be able to kill it over the space of 3 hours it is probably best to come back when you are more of a match.

27. Hard and slow or fast and shallow? ... (At this point in the post I've drank some wine.)
If an opponent isn’t attacking you, they're waiting for you to attack them to take advantage. If this is the case do a slow heavy attack or wait until they go on the offensive to use your fast light attack.

If you do a light attack on a defending opponent you will receive damage and will become staggered giving them an opportunity to do significant hurt(sic).

Generally fast moving opponents require a fast attack response. Slow moving opponents require a doge/roll followed by heavy attack response.

28. Don't get flanked but do flank the enemy to do/avoid additional damage.

29. If there is an impediment to your attack like a shield or the enemy is in the air or on horseback try a blast of Aard.

30. As ever, it's better to have 1 dead enemy that isn't attacking than 3 damaged enemies that are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
resurrecting this thread...

Any advice for how to progress the game faster? I feel like it's taken me forever just to get to level 5, and I've been doing quests. The game seems to be advancing so slowly that I won't be able to do many of the quests I've collected for ages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
resurrecting this thread...

Any advice for how to progress the game faster? I feel like it's taken me forever just to get to level 5, and I've been doing quests. The game seems to be advancing so slowly that I won't be able to do many of the quests I've collected for ages.

In my experience the best way to level up is to do the main story missions -- they seem to give way more XP than any of the side content. The secondary content seems to be there for the player to enjoy, not to grind levels. I also found that past about level 10 when I was able to craft some decent armor sets and had enough skill points & mutations to work some synergies into my build the game became much less difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really sure about levelling up quickly - the game is a big one.

Would highly recommend collecting an item set (snake, bear, etc) as these will make the game a good deal easier and are OP when you first get them. I didn't bother picking them up until I completed the game... which was dumb.

Most side missions don't disappear when you advance the mains story but do have a quick check as a couple of them do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
I quickly ran into an issue where I was level 3 and the next main missions I had available were all level 6 or higher. Several side quests later and I'm still only level 5, but that's high enough for me to at least complete the level 6 missions without dying instantly.

I don't think I've run into any item sets yet. Do I have to buy the blueprints for those? I'm still very poor, only a few hundred gold. Selling items I find doesn't get me much, but I suspect it will add up eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.