Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm having an issue with my rss feed on my site. Does anyone out there have experience troubleshooting rss feeds, especially from Wordpress sites? I'm stumped.

I'll go into more detail if anyone chimes in, but I've tried a few things and it seems to validate fine...it just doesn't push out the update when I post new content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you verified that your new content is showing up in the RSS feed itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have. When I go to the feed I see it there, but it wasn't pushing out to Feedly, or another site which aggregates feeds.

Interestingly, it just updated my Feedly, but over three hours after the initial post. And when I added the feed to a different Feedly account it hadn't shown the new post yet, even though it hadn't scraped it before.

This sounds like a caching issue, but I haven't made any changes to...well, anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you confirm whether the delay is

a) the RSS feed isn't updating for a period of time after you make a post

or

b) the RSS feed is updated, but Wordpress isn't showing the new items from the feed yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sure. I'll get a little more specific, as that might help. My site is boardeveryday.com. My post from this morning went up as scheduled at 10:00 am and when I checked boardeveryday.com/feed/ shortly thereafter I could see this morning's post.

For the next...well, three hours, I checked Feedly to see if there was an update, which didn't happen until 1:00 or so.

I noticed this problem when my post from Wednesday didn't show up on boardgamelinks.com, which just pulls from feeds and tosses the links up. Wednesday's post and today's post aren't showing on there. I've reached out to the site's creator to see if I can get an idea of whether he's getting an error message or not, but haven't heard back yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To answer your question, it seems like the RSS feed is updating, but isn't get pushed for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Seems to be working now. I signed up for FeedBurner. Maybe that helped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RSS feeds aren't pushed. Feedly has to pull, i.e. check the RSS feed for updates. It sounds like they may only be doing that at some periodic interval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ah, interesting. I thought they were a push. Just did some reading and found that this is a common misconception based on the pull cycle most RSS readers have. To the reader, it appears that the content is pushed, but it's really just very frequent pulls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.