Popular Tags: solitaire-only [+] a1p [+] a-faire [+] [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb

This is an entry into the 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest

You are the Captain of the USS Crypsis - a RPTR class starship on routine patrol of the Auborne system when a distress call was received. Upon warping in you quickly realize it was a trap! With the help of your crew, you must survive until a rescue fleet appears.

Deep Space D-6 is a solitaire dice game about surviving the cruel depths of space. Each turn you’ll roll Crew dice and assign them to stations. You must plan carefully to take care of internal and external threats to your ship. Surive to win.

How to play:

Needed components:
6 d6 of the same color (The game uses custom 6d6 but you can also use an included converter)
1 d6 of a different color for threats
2 8mm cubes (green & grey)

The game uses Mini Cards so the full game can be printed on 4 sheets of A4 paper.

Playing Time: 30 mins

Competition Categories:
Small Game
Best Hotel Game
Thematic Game
Best Greyscale Printed Game

Files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l9gz37kgj9arnmo/AAAL8N-EJgXbdUxNy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crew actions in... action:

Commander:

Change an available crew die to any other side OR re-roll all available crew.

Tactical:

Fire weapons to destroy threats!

Science:

Fully recharge the shields OR place an enemy ship in stasis.

Medical:

Heal crew in the infirmary OR return a Threat die.

Engineering:

Repair the hull then go back to being lonely and forgotten...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Reserved

Hi. What does this post mean? I see it here and there. What is being reserved?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ex1st wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:
Reserved

It's just so that I can post relevant information closer to the start of the post so that people don't have to dig around rather than constantly update the starting post which can be misleading (I already had to do it once because of a bad dropbox link!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
ex1st wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:
Reserved

It's just so that I can post relevant information closer to the start of the post so that people don't have to dig around rather than constantly update the starting post which can be misleading (I already had to do it once because of a bad dropbox link!)

I see
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Garside
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
This is common practice and I wish I'd done it now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A small solo Space Alert with fewer components, faster play, and a smaller footprint! This looks awesome! can't wait to give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty cool

A couple of Q's

1) The infirmary. I assume that dice sent to the infirmary are not available for subsequent rolls (until healed)
2) The external threat "Hijackers" has a commanders Icon on it, does that mean it can be removed using a crew die action instead of taking 4 damage?
3) Do you have 5 or 6 crew dice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, they are not available
2) Yes, this might be too easy though. Maybe 2 commanders
3) 5

Sorry about all the changes going on. I keep tweaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will give it a go in a few more tweaks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Notes to add to the rulebook:

Start the game with 2 threats. Roll the threat die.

You can assign a crew die to an internal threat even if it won't complete it. Doing so allows you to lock a die in for the next roll.

Resolve threats left to right, top to bottom.

It is possible to have all units incapacitated through infirmary and threat detection. This results in a loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Version .05 is now uploaded.

-Threat values have been tweaked.
-Added new Medical ability.
-Science fully recharges shields. This is a reversal of a change.

The game is a lot harder, which is pretty standard fare for solo games right?

This should be the version to test and play. Thanks for anyone willing to playtest.

No more changes until after the weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules don't really say what the goal of the game is. I get that you are in space, but what is it that you are trying to do?

Edit: Never mind. Just saw that the title post had a picture that was not in the pdf download.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Gablovsky
Austria
Kittsee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have created dice set for Deep Space D-6 that can be used in Android app - Custom Image Dice: http://boardnaut.bitbucket.org/data/customImageDice/customIm...

App allows you to create and roll dice with custom images on their faces.
App download: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.boardnaut....

Now you can try out Deep Space D-6 without making custom dice. Enjoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acutally, you probably will need to print up the dice if you want to play the game. They are assigned to stuff as you play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
Acutally, you probably will need to print up the dice if you want to play the game. They are assigned to stuff as you play the game.

Yes, it would be neat if the app allowed you to add a comment (as an overlay) when you freeze a die. This would effectively allow such as assignment. A drop-down, pre-defined list for the set would be even quicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marian Gablovsky
Austria
Kittsee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radchad wrote:
I didn't played game yet, but from reading the rules and cards, I expect that you use dice right away and just in few times (internal threats, threat dice) you need to lock dice for longer. For this I was thinking to make myself few counters that I can assign to various places and in app I will just lock die from rerolling.

gamesbook wrote:
Yes, it would be neat if the app allowed you to add a comment (as an overlay) when you freeze a die. This would effectively allow such as assignment. A drop-down, pre-defined list for the set would be even quicker.
Thanks for suggestion. I will think about how to integrate this feature to app, so it is easily usable when rolling and also when creating dice set.

@Horror Leader: When I lock 2 threat dice and draw new threat, are threat dice returned to dice I roll each round? Or do I need to remove them with medical die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They are returned to your available pool. The medical ability let's you return a threat die in the locked position before it activates with a second.

I'm going to try to do a quick gameplay video this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is color printed copy with stickered blank dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Looks really slick. Well done! Looking forward to testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played my first game last night and have a few questions as I am unsure if I am doing it correctly.

On the ship printout it has the rules which I followed and will go though them and what I did just to make sure I did it correctly.

I started with 2 threat cards.

1. I rolled my 5 dice. Setting aside any of the ones that came up as threat.

2. Check to see if I rolled 2 or more threat dice. If I have 2 trade them for another threat card.

3. Active the crew dice. Do what I rolled.
Medic - Get someone out of the infirmary or return a threat die to the pool.
Weapons - Shoot an external threat to possibly make it go away.
Shields - Move the shield counter up that many. Does double shields move it up 3?
Repair - Repair the ship 1 for 1 or 3 for 2.
Commander - change 1 die face to another die face except the threat die. Then return this die to used. Can one commander change another commander die?

4. Draw another threat card.

5. (no 5 on the card?

6. Roll the threat die and resolve any of the results that hit. I assumed that the minus hull items hit the shields first. At one point this got messy as a whole lot of threats hit on a die roll and I took a lot of damage! I was on man I am getting beat up here! I liked it.

7. Return all the non-locked and dice not in the infirmary to the pool (which is where I put them after I rolled). Might want to just have used dice go back to the pool. Any dice not used and not in the infirmary just goto the pool?

Card question:
I had 1 internal thread which I was unsure about.

Distracted. I rolled a 3 in the threat roll section. It says Return this unit then discard. I am not sure what that means? Or what impact that has?

Looks pretty cool and plan to try again here tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks mostly right. I fixed the missing 5 in version .51

1. right

2. Whenever a threat side is rolled, place it in the spot at the top of the board. When this area is filled, draw a threat card, then put these dice back into the pool for next turn.

3. Assign dice. As soon as you assign that crew member to a station, perform that action. You're supposed to put the dice on the spaces on the board, to indicate that they are used. You will sometimes have dice you are unable to place at all.

Medic - gets all crew members out of the infirmary. Or return a threat die that has been locked.
Tactical - Shoot enemies. After you place these dice, add up how much damage you get and spend them on defeating threats. You can split up the damage across multiple targets.
Science - Fully recharge the shields. This moves the shield tracker to maximum level every time. So you would never need to double shields.
Engineering - Repair the ship.
Commander - Change a Crew die to any face. A commander can change a commander.

You can also assign dice to threats that contain a crew icon in the bottom right. Once assigned there, immediately discard the card. You do not have to completely fulfill the card to place a die. In other words, if you have a Time Warp threat, you can place a Science Officer on it during one turn, then place another on it in a subsequent turn to complete it.

4. Draw a threat.

5. Roll the threat die and resolve matching cards. Shields always hit first. You really have to see which cards activate with each other and destroy the ones that overlap first!

6. Gather all available crew. Available refers to any crew that is not indisposed due to the infirmary or a mission.

Here are some specific card clarifications (Let me know if they are intuitive and understood without explanation):

Distracted - as soon as this card is revealed, place any available crew die on the ? space. This unit is unavailable until you roll a 3 on the threat die. Then this card goes away. It's a pretty dangerous card so I might allow a commander or medic to solve it.

Friendly Fire - as soon as this card is revealed, place all Tactical crew in the infirmary. If you did not assign any Tactical crew this round, this card does nothing.

Time Warp - a threat can never exceed its starting health value.

Cloaked Threats - this card is always activated last.

Scouting Ship - The maximum Hull you can lose from this ship is 1 per turn.

Solar Winds - This cannot be destroyed. The damage is inevitable!

Boost Morale - If there are isn't a locked threat- this card does nothing.

Nebula - While this card is in play, you cannot use shields at all. I recommend to take the shield cube off the track and place it on this card.

Thanks for taking the time to playtest the game! I appreciate the feedback. It is easy to get overwhelmed as threats keep popping up. Since v.05, I've only won once.

I'll be writing actual rules shortly and hopefully a demo video.

Good luck, captain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Since v.05, I've only won once.

gulp Any plans to make it a bit easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Quote:
Since v.05, I've only won once.

gulp Any plans to make it a bit easier?

The easiest way to lower the difficulty is to add more Don't Panic cards into the game.

Honestly, the game is challenging at first. Once you start figuring out the strategies involved with using commanders and taking a few risks with Science, you should be able to do fairly well. And of course, a lot of it comes down to the roll of the dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stapleton
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I forgot to ask this morning is to win the game you need to have no external threats? If I have dealt with all the external threats and if none are flipped over in step 4 the game ends after step 7?

Also thank you for your reply earlier that helped quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.