Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
45 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Ticket to Ride complexity = 1. Alchemists = 4. I'm looking for a 2. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Wilson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group primarily is comprised of me, my girlfriend, my friend, and his wife. My friend and I are pretty much up for any level of complexity and prefer the heavier games. My girlfriend can play anything, but she prefers games that keep her attention and don't make her think too hard or keep track of too many things. My friend's wife can also get into anything eventually, but she's often daunted when I bring over something heavy (Caverna).

Today, my girlfriend told me that:

· Ticket to Ride's complexity is 1.
· Splendor's complexity is 1.25.
· Alchemists and Euphoria's complexity is 4.
· She would like a game with complexity 2.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for games with twice as much complexity as Ticket to Ride and half as much as Alchemists.

Thanks in advance!

~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see, divide the 2 into the...carry the....subtract the remainder...

The Castles of Burgundy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Portage
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm gonna suggest Alhambra. It's light complex and you don't really have to keep track of anything. There are a few similarities between it and ticket to ride but I think its SOOO MUCH better.

Best of luck finding that perfect 2!

also +1 to castles, its more complicated but I'm a fan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex s
United States
LaCrosse
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Alien Frontiers, Airlines Europe, or Roll for the Galaxy? Definitely agree with Castles of Burgundy once you're familiar with the symbology on the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilan Vonderwalde
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

The Castles of Burgundy

Yep.

You could also look at (these vary between 1.5 - 2.5 I would say):
Black Fleet
Castles of Mad King Ludwig or Suburbia
Tikal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthes
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relic runners is 2x ticket to ride

Tigris and Euphrates is Alchemists/2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Miller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to The Castles of Burgundy

Suburbia may also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not a fan of Castles of Burgundy. It's just a dull experience in my opinion - I'm probably in the minority here though :-)

I've been playing a lot of Abyss with my girlfriend lately! Really a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich JOKING!

So, assuming you didn't say 2 x 4 ? and you just want a 2, then...

Okay, try Pandemic. It's a co-op, and fun to play with anywhere from 2 to 4 players.

For a little more complexity and great experience, try Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. You might have trouble finding a copy though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've been on an Elysium kick today. Game play is very straightforward, but the cards offer some strategic decisions, although not overly complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how about Stone Age - it's a favourite for my wife & me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG has a weight ranking system, and using that data, we get

Weight of Ticket to Ride = 1.9

Weight of Alchemists = 3.7

You can agree or disagree about these weights, which are based on the opinions of many people, but all we are interested in to answer your question is the relative weights.

You want a game that's 1/3 of the way from Ticket to Ride to Alchemists, which implies (based on the above) that you want a BGG weight of 2.5

Here are the top-ranked games with weights between 2.4 and 2.6:

Pandemic
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Shadows over Camelot
Lord of the Rings

Now, I'm not saying these are definitely games your group will like (three of them are cooperative games, so you'd have to think about whether you like those,) but they seem to me to be about the weight you are seeking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Viticulture. I happen to think it is not too complex, although some might disagree. Five Tribes I think could solidly fit in this category, as well as Abyss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Knipp
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me to your acorns.
mbmbmbmbmb
captainraffi wrote:

The Castles of Burgundy

love your math disagree with the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Knipp
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me to your acorns.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your girlfriend sounds very much like my Wife. I love Terra Mystica, she tolerates it at best. She likes Agricola though have you considered that oldie but goody?

Also she might like Steam Park, its a smart little game doesn't take too long to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Knipp
United States
Tarpon Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Bring me to your acorns.
mbmbmbmbmb
RHelms wrote:
I'm really not a fan of Castles of Burgundy. It's just a dull experience in my opinion - I'm probably in the minority here though :-)

I've been playing a lot of Abyss with my girlfriend lately! Really a great game.

Nope I am going to hop on your unpopular Band wagon. I am going to utter a blasphemy here and say that Stefan Feld is overrated. Though of the three Feld games I have played CoB is his best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ich bin dran!
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
captainraffi wrote:

The Castles of Burgundy
The rule instruction can be a little rough, for a beginner, but it can be light and entertaining once you get started. At this level of complexity, I chose Rialto as a transition game for my family, from Ticket to Ride. It has some mechanical similarities to TtR, but introduces a little action selection and area control.
Eric Brosius wrote:

Pandemic
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Shadows over Camelot
Lord of the Rings

Now, I'm not saying these are definitely games your group will like (three of them are cooperative games, so you'd have to think about whether you like those,) but they seem to me to be about the weight you are seeking.
THere are some good choices on that list, if you can find one there that fits her interests. I think my family would like Lords of Waterdeep, but they would never be able to get past the theme.
dios_et_dios wrote:
Maybe Viticulture. I happen to think it is not too complex, although some might disagree. Five Tribes I think could solidly fit in this category, as well as Abyss.
Abyss could be a good choice, as long as she doesn't turn her nose up at the box. San Juan (second edition) seems to have caught on with my family, as another card game at a similar level, and was easy to introduce because of my families fondness for Puerto Rico (the island). I hope to use it to move them toward Puerto Rico (the game), but San Juan is such a great game in it's own right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Sattary-Javid
msg tools
mbmb
Versailles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia
Vikings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Canuck
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you've said about your girlfriend, I'd recommend Pandemic as well -- just because there is an important element of interaction, so you never get quite bored, and it's simple enough to keep track of.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue is a simpler cooperative game, but one you have to coordinate with others. You can make it insanely hard but still keep everyone happy with it.

Another one that's not been listed here is Caracassonne. Sure, it gets a bad rap because it's an introductory game that's been around a long time, but it's simple to pick up with varying levels of difficulty if you add inexpensive expansions.

Finally, though it's expensive and a big box, Star Wars: Imperial Assault is actually easy to grasp once you get through the initial rules, and you can play with heavy gamers (who want to analyze everything) and those who just want to have a good time throwing yourself at the bad guys.

At least, those are the ones from my collection which my group seems to like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
You want a game that's 1/3 of the way from Ticket to Ride to Alchemists, which implies (based on the above) that you want a BGG weight of 2.5

Pandemic
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Shadows over Camelot
Lord of the Rings

I agree with your line of reasoning - in addition to your excellent suggestions how about:
Istanbul
Vikings
Cinque Terre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Russell
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If you're looking to build on Ticket, maybe Airlines Europe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RenaissanceMom wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

Pandemic
Stone Age
Lords of Waterdeep
Shadows over Camelot
Lord of the Rings

I agree with your line of reasoning - in addition to your excellent suggestions how about:
Istanbul
Vikings
Cinque Terre

+1 for Istanbul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McKay
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
+1 Stone Age
+1 Vikings

I think Castles of Burgundy would be a more like a 2.75 on your scale.

Pandemic and Shadows over Camelot are the right weight but some people just don't like co-ops.

I recommend Ra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
EMPIRE BUILDER a train game also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.