Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Gilliland
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I own S1, S2, S3, TM and AN.

I have a lot of the extra zombie packs as well but not all of them. I do have dogs and crows.

Given the Balance of the game, and for faster set up and put away I am looking at combining all the decks. I am assuming you cannot just add them all together given there will be a lot of bloat. I have looked at the cards and saw a lot new powerful cards.

Has anyone noticed a pattern to follow for the zombie spawn cards and equipment cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rienzo wrote:
Has anyone noticed a pattern to follow for the zombie spawn cards and equipment cards?

From my experience you really can combine them all together. I really does work fine in most scenarios. The only problems come when you have objectives that require you to find certain items or defeat the entire zombie deck. Those scenarios I either don't play or house rule somehow. Works perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heuer
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The compendium goes into detail on how the spawn cards are designed and gives recommendations for creating your own deck. It also gives recommendations for combining equipment decks between season 1 and 2. They point at that you really should do whatever your play group likes but I'm looking forward to more official recommendations in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teskal Flink
Germany
flag msg tools
Check the excel file I made, there is a advanced zombie matrix and also a list of all spawn cards. I uploaded also a list of equipment cards and tokens within this file, but BGG is still checking it.

>>here<<

I think it is a big help.
You can also think about making 3 decks. One if you enter a Mall, one for the prison and one for everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seasons 1-3, TCM, AN as well as crows and zombie dogs. I'm thinking of building multiple decks to have and then just choose one at random to start.

Deck 1 will have more standard zombies with a few cards of toxic and berserker spawns.
Deck 2 will be most of the berserkers with some regular, toxic and skinners included.
Deck 3 will be most of the skinners with a few of everything else mixed in.

I was thinking of including more of the crows and dogs in the first deck, but including a few of each in the other two as well. That way you could treat Deck 1 as early outbreak (mostly regular zombies as well as animal carriers), Deck 2 as later outbreak (more mutated zombie types) and Deck 3 as much later outbreak (More skinners and fewer regular zombies).

I'm still debating how to create the search deck. I may end up doing something similar and create multiple decks for searching and pair them with the spawn decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The game certainly plays fine just mixing everything together, but you may find more crowbars when searching than is exciting for you.

Mixing all the zombies is fun too, but it does cut down on the amount of extra activations from special zombie types(unless you bought extra anyway), and it really takes away the main threat of Seeker zombies.

Like Brian, I tend to craft my zombie deck for specific themes or mission types.

As for the item deck, by season 3, it might be more fun to strip it down to essentials. Rip out a bunch of crowbars and fire axes, maybe take out a chunk of pistols. Whatever it takes to make those item draws for exciting.

"Aw heck."
"What is it?! A zombie?!"
"Naw, it's another crowbar. "
"Gotcha. Hey look! an AK-47!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Rienzo wrote:
I own S1, S2, S3, TM and AN.

I have a lot of the extra zombie packs as well but not all of them. I do have dogs and crows.

Given the Balance of the game, and for faster set up and put away I am looking at combining all the decks. I am assuming you cannot just add them all together given there will be a lot of bloat. I have looked at the cards and saw a lot new powerful cards.

The Zombie cards work fine all mixed together—the Seekers in particular demand some mixing, since if you've just got them (one full language-set) and one base game they end up being 20% or more of the spawn deck, which causes extra-move chaos beyond what's feasible to plan for.

The equipment deck is potentially another matter—though I think it depends more on your playstyle and what you enjoy than on mixtures being intrinsically unbalancing, at least as long as you use a rich mix of zombie types. I'll grant that if you don't use Berserkers or Toxics things like the Automatic Shotgun get out of hand, as well as the Nailbat if you're using a small equipment deck.

The big change with the full-mix equipment deck is that discarding things hurts—there's so much in the deck that anything you discard is never going to be seen again barring a very deliberate Flashlight-aided attempt to run through the pile. Your mileage may vary, but I think that that's a good thing for Ultrared weapons—if you pull a good one at Blue or Yellow on a map in which you're expecting to be in Red for a while, you can't just ditch it and count on getting it back later; instead, you're forced to decide whether having it when you can use it is worth occupying an inventory slot until then.

Anyway, I recommend mixing it all in. You might want to also throw in another copy of the Seeker cards; IIRC you'll have about 240 spawn cards with 12 Seeker cards to start with, which is a little light. I'm hoping to do an analysis of spawn deck composition at some point in the near future.

Edit: another thing you can do is get creative with mission or campaign design—make a few different decks with varied distributions, then draw from different decks or compositions thereof for different buildings or spawn zones.

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.