Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm lookin' for some chit chat help (to state the obvious).

I'll keep it brief.

My wife and kiddos and I are looking to go tent camping on the MN north shore this July. I can't decide which one to stay at. We have done the 'set up camp at one park for a few days, pack up and move to the next camp for a few days' thing in the past and it was more stress than what it was worth. We would like to set up camp for a week in one location and then visit other attractions (around the area and at other parks) throughout the week.

Options we are considering (from north to south):

Judge Magney
Cascade River
Temperance River
Tettegouche
Split Rock

Most important to us:

1. not insanely overcrowded (or, even if pack, doesn't seem to be)
2. good swimming area for a 7 year old and a 10 year old
3. awesome hiking with cool lookouts/views
4. biking (paved or unpaved - doesn't matter)

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice, horror stories, etc. regarding any of these? I'd like to make reservations by the end of this weekend if possible.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin, Karen, Acacia, and Janek
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Game on!
badge
45 Jack-o'-dapter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew,

Thank you very much for your assistance and for sharing those beautiful photos! My wife and I finally settled on Tettegouche - however, for the particular week we are going on vacation, every tent site is filled up.

As are the ones at Cascade River.

As are the ones at Temperance River.

As are the ones at Split Rock.

As are the ones at Judge Magney.

cry

However, when I was searching for an alternative this afternoon I saw that a drive-in site had opened up at Judge Magney. Its availability is 2 nights shorter than what we had wanted, but it's better than nothing!

I think what we'll do is make an attempt at the non-reservable first-come/first-serve sites, either at Magney or even shoot for one of the parks along the way (Tettegouche hopefully) and just pay the small modification fee (though I've never been charged for it in the past).

Regardless, the north shore is relatively new to the four of us (my wife stayed at Gooseberry many years ago for a night or two) so we're thrilled to be going!

Again - thanks for your help!

Justin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.