Subject: making AKBSCO (suggestions please) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
AKBSCO

I have been working on making a game called AKBSCO. It is based on the places that I grew up. I lived in Alaska (AK), born and raised. Finished high school in The Bahamas (BS). Currently living in Colorado (CO). Love all three places and thought of a fun little game that incorporates all three. I am asking BGGers ideas on this and how to improve it. (by the way feel free to use the idea and change locations for your own game if you wish) Of course this game is expandable/interchangeable to include other locations if you wish.

The purpose of the game to collect different resources and reach a certain number of points. The different resources have different point totals and certain numbers of each resource must be had to win. I am still working on point totals for each resource and thinking about having the hazard and resource spaces of the board placed randomly (by terrain) each game to keep things fresh. I have also toyed with the idea of adding the major hazards to the wild card deck (which would change below from "landed on space" to "drew card". Also there would be spaces that will tell you to go to another zone (possibly in the wild card section as well).

Each player moves their piece by dice roll to a different area on one of three boards (Alaska, Bahamas, Colorado). Different spaces on the boards give (or take away) different things. There are resource cards and also a wild card stack. The wild card stack gives certain bonuses (explained later). The resources are gold, timber, food, and furs (the resources are trimmed in different colors, but picked up randomly). The resources pictured will be specific to the area. There are also trading post/ports that allow players to trade resources with each other. Major hazards effect all players in the area: roll die for effect Even = escape, Odd = hit. Wild cards are all mixed together and seperated per zone. Special character cards give the player control of the special character for the area (designated by a playing piece). The special character stays with a player until another player pulls a special character card.

Under each area will be listed types of terrain, resources gathered there, hazards, and wild cards (including special character).

Alaska: Blue trim cards
mountain: timber and furs, blizzard (lose all blue resources).
Blizzard effects all players in Alaska.
snow: food and furs, nanook (lose half blue resources).
Nanook only effects player that landed on space.
river: gold and food.

Wild cards:
dog sled: +1-3 to roll (only on snow)
snow shoes: +1-3 to roll (snow or mountains)
igloo: safe from blizzard and nanook (discard after use)
sourdough: +/- 1 to roll

The Bahamas: Yellow trim cards
island: food and gold, hurricane (lose all yellow resources).
Hurricane effects all players in The Bahamas.
water: food and gold, shark (lose half yellow resources).
Shark only effects player that landed on space.

Wild cards:
boat: +1-3 to roll (only on water)
cave: safe from hurricane and shark (discard after use)
pirate: +/- 1 to roll

Colorado: Red trim cards
mountain: timber and furs,mountain lion (lose all red resources).
Mountain lion only effects player that landed on space.
plains: food and furs.
river: gold and food, flash flood (lose half red resources).
Flash flood effects all players in Colorado.

Wild cards:
horse: +1-3 to roll (plains)
cliff dwelling: safe from mountain lion and flood (discard after use)
native: +/- 1 to roll

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that makes a successful games is the ability to make interesting decisions.

Think of your game as a player. When it comes time to your turn, what decisions do you have to make? What control do you have over what you will be doing on that turn?

There are plenty of games available in the US that are based upon rolling a die and moving your pawn; I would encourage you to try some of the top-ranked games here on boardgamegeek and think about what mechanisms they use. I think you'll get many more ideas of interesting things for people to do that go beyond rolling a die, moving your pawn, and drawing a card.

Also, you want to think about how long the game will take and how that balances with the variety of interesting things to do. A game without a lot of variety is most successful when it is short. A good game should leave the players wanting more - wanting to explore the system again - wanting to start again immediately.

(p.s. It's "lose", not "loose".)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Chappelear
United States
Kensington
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Try asking these questions at www.bgdf.com, the Board Game Designers Forum. There are many great forum threads, and you can have your game reviewed by other designers, if you sign up in advance.

Good luck with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the suggestions I will continue to work on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Make this isn't finalized yet either, but a pronounceable name would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am now reworking the game as a card game that will be quicker and add much more tension. Also, I have changed the name to show how the game will now be very expandable. I am going to run it by BGDF and see what over tweaks might be needed. Oh, and I am thinking of calling it "Boom or Bust!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any incentive to leave Alaska or Colorado; each one has all three resources. If you can get all the resources you need to win in one location, why go somewhere else? That is especially true if that somewhere else is the Bahamas, which doesn't have timber or furs. The only incentive I can see is that if you are close to winning, you might move to the other four resource location, just to protect your resources from a disaster taking them all.

Disasters also seem a bit too powerful. Having twenty resources disappear because they are all the same color and you rolled poorly seems a bit much. It makes the game too luck driven. One might also ask why the shark won't eat food from Alaska and Colorado.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.