Popular Tags: pirate [+] [View All]
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

-------------------------------------------------

On behalf of Bloodline Games I am proud to officially announce our first game, Merchants & Marauders™. We mark this announcement with the launch of our website, rules release and a contest.

Merchants & Marauders™ is a fun and exciting game set in the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy. The game features gorgeous miniatures, an innovative trade system, intense combat, and virtually no downtime! 5 ships to choose from, 16 unique captains, special crew you can hire, ship modifications, grape shots and chain shots, over 200 cards and stunning artwork to boot.

The pirate game you have been waiting for!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25292

Expected release: Q1 2007
MSRP: TBA.

The Website & Rules
Is this a game for you? Well the best way to find out is by going to our website at www.bloodlinegames.com , and take our guided tour around the Caribbean. Additionally you can download our pre-print version of the rules (proof reading is not complete and a few additions and changes are pending).

If you spot anything out of place, be it typos, inconsistencies or if something seems unclear, then please send me an email or PM . That way we can do some last minute changes before the game hits the printer – we want to bring you the best game possible!

Contest
During the course of the game players can pick up rumors and claim jobs offered by various in-game personalities. While the game already features a large amount of both, we would like more – that’s where you come in.

Go to our website and submit your job and rumor suggestions, and have a look at those already in the game. There will be 5 winners who will all receive a FREE copy of the game. Winners will be have the game shipped to them as soon as they are ready – you may see a copy long before any of your countrymen!

4 winners will be randomly drawn. Each submission gives you one chance of winning. So if you make 20 submissions you have 20 chances of winning! Additionally we will pick 1 submission that we find the best and most creative use of the game rules.

Contest ends December 20th!

Do business with us
Do you want to do business? We are looking for distributors worldwide – perhaps even co-publishing. For business inquiries send us an email at business@bloodlinegames.com

----------------------------------------

I hope you like what you see cool. Feel free leave any comments or questions here. Your opinions mean everything. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Pasquantonio
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks very interesting (and the rules definitely need another proofreading session); it would be nice to find another good pirate game.

The game is tagged solitaire -- is it playable solo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
Reading through the rules now. Looks and seems great. I love the artwork!

Will see if I can think of something for the contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second that the art alone is enough for me to buy this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm. Your site must not be compatible with my browser. I don't get much of anything on the page. Just a menu, but nothing comes up if I click on anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Works with IE, not with Firefox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules, page 2 is numbered 16, and pages 12 and 23 are the same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like beautiful graphics throughout. Very nice! I'm intrigued....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go to http://validator.w3.org/ it'll spit out a list of things to fix on the website. Looks like the iframe is the problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is nice. The bounty system is very cool. I started to dig into the rules, but I don't think this is a game for me.

Errata and comments PM'd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having some browser issues with the new IE, /em gripes about the new IE taking away the normal tools /end griping. Is anyone else only seeing the section in the top part but not in the bottom... oh 80% of the browser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Your website being incompatible with my browser is enough to stifle my interest for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian,

Glad to hear you're intersted in hearing about such things, because it shows you want a top-notch product.

There are some typographical and grammatical errors on the web site's pages. Since the pages appear to consist of artwork from the game itself, it can temper people's excitement... I have PM'd you items that I spotted on some of your materials (too many to bog down a thread here). Mostly typos, such as a word with two letters flip-flopped here and there. If these graphics came directly from the game itself, you'll want to verify them. They could be a web-only error for all I know.

I am certain that BGG members (and myself!) would be glad to help by proofing and commenting on your materials as you near publishing dates.

The game is visually beautiful and looks very promising. You've put a lot of work into it. I wish you much success! Do let us know if we can help you further, and how.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi James, you raise good points. But you needn't worry - everything will be fixed. We care a lot about making the game perfect. The rules are an elaborate preview for people to get an idea about what it's all about. There has been a large demand to see something so we figured it would be ok to show the rules in their current pre-print state. The cards on the website and in the rules have not yet been proof read, but are being so as we speak.

If anyone has further comments to typos etc, please PM me so we can get them fixed.

I'll keep uploading the rules with the newest edits.

The errors in the website will be fixed asap. (some are already fixed)

Thanks for your nice comments everyone!

As for specific rules comments, I'll get back to them later.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
COMMENTS & QUESTIONS

The rules for Scout, Blockade, and Port seem very cavalier in their simultaneity. There are still cases where some form of player order is needed. What if 2 players Scout with 2 6's? Might one want to see what the other does before making his own decision? What if 2 players Blockade againt 2 players leaving a Port? What if I want to base my ship purchase/upgrades on yours? Or change what I buy based on a possible changing demand counter?

Rules have been edited to make it clearer. Some of the issues you mention might seem like issues, but really aren't once you play the game

Quote:
I was in Port the previous round. I choose Scout, but another player chooses Blockade. Scout happens before Blockade, but the Blockade catches me before I get to sea. Seems like this breaks the action sequence.
True. Blockade needs to me moved up before Scouting. We just had not done that yet. It's done now - Good catch!

Quote:
Can you buy goods in a Port in one turn, then Port again and sell them? Seems too easy and a little anti-thematic. I almost expected to see something to the effect that you cannot buy the in-demand good from that Port at all, simulating its scarcity

Thing is if you draw the good in demand then the that good is no longer in demand and the Demand Counter is exchanged with another one face down. You will not see this counter till you leave port fully and enter again (which is also mentioned in the rules). So it is possible to but goods in port, and sell them in the same port the following round, but NEVER with a profit which makes it worthwhile.

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
manhattandoctor wrote:
Make your website work in Firefox and I might be interested more in the game.

It doesn't work with IE 7, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on the issues now, and will hopefully have them resolved today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[UPDATE] The website is now viewable in both Firefox and I.E. 7.0.

There are still a few minor cosmetic issues, but nothing serious.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
I'm getting this game for sure! I have been looking for a pirate game that fits my taste for quite a while.

It seems like combat should be quite fun, if it does not last too long. I can imagine it being quite a nerve wrecking experience seeing ones beloved ship be blown to peices bit by bit

Will you be taking orders from your website even if you have no distributors?

I have sent you an email with a few suggested edits and typos I found
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I love the artwork!

Quote:
I second that the art alone is enough for me to buy this game.

Really??

The board looks great, and the player's card looks great, but the cards look very unprofessional to me. The raw "art" on the cards is okay, but the DESIGN and PRESENTATION is poor.

The ship cards alone are quite boring and plain, with that single column of attributes. You need a new designer who will devise a symbology and presentation library for your game that is consistent, attractive, and intuitive.

Take a look at the World of Warcraft TCG for a recent example of excellent card design.

EDIT - I hate to do this, but the other thread just popped up. Check out the cards in the Sea Rovers game (your competition?). Fantastic card design!

http://www.historyinactiongame.com/main/products/searovers/s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schoenherr
msg tools
mb
To each his own. I guess it also depends on the volume of cards. The thing that mainly looks good about the cards in SeaRovers (and they do look good) are the classic paintings.

I prefer the overall look and style of M&M (although I see the SeaRover cards do look nice). But hey, first of all the game itself looks more like its up my alley, and that is what counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Steve... The cards in SeaRovers do indeed look fantastic. Van Overbay is wonderfully talented graphics designer!

That said we are very proud of our own components, and I think and hope, that once you see it all together you may appreciate the overall aestetics of the game It all really fits together. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Marcussen
Denmark
Odense C
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Van - I would love to get your opinion on it

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilson
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, this does look interesting ... not to overgeneralize, but looking it over I got the feeling this was kind of like "Sid Meier's Pirates!", made multiplayer & translated to a boardgame? Is that too far off? How would it primarily differ?

That would be a good thing if it were, IMO, that game is excellent for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.