Subject: flood of similar image submissions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekmod [+] [View All]
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been using the GeekMod feature to help evaluate submitted game images. Lately, there has been a large number of very similar images of various chess sets - looks like someone is adding pics of there vast collection to the image database. However, many of these images are just repeated submissions, with the pieces arranged differently, or shot from a slightly different angle.

Is this considered misuse? It looks like someone is trying to get lots of GeekGold with relatively little effort. Obviously we don't want the database full of very similar images that have no other merit of their own. Do we accept pictures of every chess board ever made, or at some point decide that these are "too similar" to those in the database already (even though it might be slightly different wooden chess set to all the other pics?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Just decline'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Oliver
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lajos wrote:
Just decline'em.

I've noticed the flood too, and I *have* been declining them. Yet the majority are still making it through. This is basically the same user, and from browsing his profile, he's made a GG living off of submitting various slightly different pictures of public domain games like Chess, Checkers, Backgammon and Go.

It's somewhat depressing to realize other mods are seeing these and are declining them as well, and yet they still make it in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I geekmod too and I decline those. I've noticed though that more and more of the chess sets are getting declined than before.

Not just those but I've seen other submission abuses, 4 or 5 line reviews, one line sessions and endless combos of shots from different angles showing the exact same game pieces.

The problem is that according to the FAQ, if you buck the crowd too much, you'll have geekmod privileges taken away. So when you see these things approved over and over you begin to be careful about what you decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is what geekmodding is about. Decline images that are too similar to what we have. That's the check in the system. I modded 4 of those chess images and declined to approve them. 2 got through anyway, but 2 were declined.

I also saw a bunch of other pictures of game boxes and parts that were already in the database (and better images at that) and declined those as well. Just keep on declining if you don't think the image meets the criteria. I don't think being true to the guidelines is going to get you banned from modding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin h.
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I've been declining those also..... a lot of them

Maybe it should work both ways

Perhaps there should be a "spam" button, and if a number of geekmods all hit the spam button, then it should get referred to admins -- perhaps they should have image submission restricted?

just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Dragon
United States
Willows
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several people have, at various times, mined the internet for pictures of chess sets and uploaded them to BGG, blatantly violating copyright and/or ownership rights to all the pictures they uploaded. Fortunately, BGG keeps track of all this in the database, and any of the other users can see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.