Roger Myers
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Son and I purchased the Fortress of Archkyrie expansion set last week. Sure is cool, but a question came up regarding targeting and shooting figures that are on the castle walls. Since they are on the walls are they totally protected? We could not find anything in the rules except the section on Battlement engagement (example 8) which dealt with the height of the figure and engagement. Following that example the unit on the walls would be in some cases 20+ levels above the figures on the ground and therefore immune to attack. Or is the figure that is taller than the battlement height exposed and therefore able to be targeted? Are figures that are shorter than the battlement totally protected unless they target a figure below them using the battlement points? We couldn't find anything in the rules that dealt with these issues. How are others resolving these questions?
We really want to like this expansion but if the units on the wall are effectively immune to attack, it kind of makes the scenarios one sided to say the least!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far as I know, standard line-of-sight rules apply--if the attacker can see the figure, it can be targeted. Keep in mind that the defender will have a +2 dice bonus if its base is 10 or more levels higher than that of the attacker, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We play that if the figure on the castle wall can see the figure on the ground then the ground figure can see him.
I think if you want to get technical, the figure on the ground has to have line of sight which would hide a lot of castle figures from ground fire. However, the figure on the wall can use the aiming points. Doesn't seem fair since the figures on the ground could be shooting when the castle figure peeks over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular LOS rules are used. This makes it a lot harder for attacking figures to hit defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Sweet
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
Regular LOS rules are used. This makes it a lot harder for attacking figures to hit defenders.

Don't you find it makes it almost impossible? For a figure on the ground to see a figure on top of two castle sections behind a battlement the figure on the ground needs to be a good 5-8 spaces back from the base of the wall (assuming normal sized figures). For some figures that is out of range. However, a figure on top of the castle can use the aiming point and see a figure straight down 1 hex away.

We obviously house rule that the figures on the ground are attacking when the fortress figures are peeking over the wall since in a real battle everything is happening together, not in neat little turn/round sequences.

Even with this house rule we still find it nearly impossible to attack a castle even with the attackers having 50% more points in their army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.