Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Wonder Computer of the 1980s
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
It's gone?

Edited: I can't make up my mind what to say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gray
United States
Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Where's the crank list?
I don't know what happened to it, but see:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/138542

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I saw that. I must've not gotten very far, because I saw satire, but no personal attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my reading - it was pretty mean spirited..... Sorry - but it's happening way too often these days and I drew a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Aldie wrote:
In my reading - it was pretty mean spirited..... Sorry - but it's happening way too often these days and I drew a line.

As one of those on the crank list, I had no problem with it other than a rueful smile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Aldie wrote:

As one of those on the crank list, I had no problem with it other than a rueful smile.

That's why I like you CC: you can dish it, you can take it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Deleting that list was ridiculous. It was an *affectionate* discussion of people we *like* for being *unique*. Now we can't express our love for the unconventional in a gentle satirical manner??????????????????????????????

Shit, I'm going to have to end up writing like Grognads as it appears to be the only way a person can be allowed to say anything about anything other than fluffy bunnies around here without attracting negative attention (yup, the deletions are a *lot* more negative than the things being deleted for the most part).

Excuse my frustration and language, but this is f*****g pathetic.

angryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangryangry
angryangryangry

Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
see? "ignorousivemorosity" IS a 'virtue' then right? "We 'see'!" said the 'blindmen' to the 'deafmen'!
surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Fluffy Bunnosity is good

Fluffy Bunnosity is fine

We love Fluffy Bunnies

WE EAT THEM ALL THE TIME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As someone who was on the list, I have to say that I wish it had been around longer because it was FUN and FUNNY. I doubt anyone on it wouldn't have gotten any of the jokes. Jeez. Thanks for the censorship, BGG can sleep safely now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Exactly: in your reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
i completely missed out on the Crank list and i'm cranky about that.

:-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pwn3d wrote:
dipdragon wrote:

It's his website - like it or leave it.

I disagree, without the BGG users to generate the enormous amount of content (good or bad) it would not be the great website it is.

Still his website

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dipdragon wrote:

Bingo! In essence, it is Aldie's website. Contribute by his rules or, if you don't like them, hang out at other sites where you like the rules better. Regardless of the merits of the deleted list (I hadn't seen it personally unfortunately), it was Aldie's decision and his right to make that call.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
dipdragon wrote:

That's not the issue. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean he should do it.

If I'm throwing a party, and someone's getting out of hand, it's time for me to 'draw the line' and ask him to leave. If, on the other hand, someone is bugging me but most of the group is enjoying that person anyway, I can still throw him out. But then I'm being selfish and a jerk and shortly I'll be the only one at my party.

I have no opinion as to whether the Crank list crossed the line nor whether killing the thread was an appropriate response; I never read the thread. I'm really curious about it now though.

People aren't happy about having their freedom of speech curtailed. They should be able to express that for the good of the "party". I'm sure Aldie doesn't mind getting feedback on his actions. I think you've missed the point, and your petulant response was uncalled for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing that it was a build up of a lot of this happening recently that led to the deleting.

Sometimes as a teacher the students get more and more crazy over time. I end up snapping. Each thing in and of itself isn't really all that bad but a continual build up. The thing that causes the snap usually isn't that bad in and of itself but the proverbial last straw that makes me finally do something.

There have been a lot of mean things on the geek lately. I didn't think the list in question was necessarily one of them but I can totally see where Aldie is coming from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McKinley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
When I heard the learn’d astronomer; When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me; When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them; When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with
badge
much applause in the lecture-room, How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick; Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself, In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time, Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars. W.W.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first read the list, and I got to the 2nd or 3rd entry, I said to myself, "this is inappropriate and hurtful." If I were an admin, I would have deleted it too. Pasting hurtful labels on people behind their back should not be tolerated anywhere, whether they "deserve" it or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimu wrote:
dipdragon wrote:

That's not the issue. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean he should do it.

If I'm throwing a party, and someone's getting out of hand, it's time for me to 'draw the line' and ask him to leave. If, on the other hand, someone is bugging me but most of the group is enjoying that person anyway, I can still throw him out. But then I'm being selfish and a jerk and shortly I'll be the only one at my party.

There's really no single solution. If you don't throw the guy out, then all those who didn't like him but didn't say anything just don't show up the next time, and it ends up just being you and him. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Unbeliever wrote:
When I first read the list, and I got to the 2nd or 3rd entry, I said to myself, "this is inappropriate and hurtful." If I were an admin, I would have deleted it too. Pasting hurtful labels on people behind their back should not be tolerated anywhere, whether they "deserve" it or not.

I never read the list, but knowing how things go around here somtimes I can just imagine what it was like.

What would be fun is a geeklist called "If I were a crank..." and let people add themselves to the list and how they think the BGG community see's them. That would be pretty interesting, especially once the comments got added. But that too would probably turn from a funny roast into something nasty... but at least it wouldn't be like how you described -- being singled out by another and labeled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
jimu wrote:
dipdragon wrote:

There's really no single solution. If you don't throw the guy out, then all those who didn't like him but didn't say anything just don't show up the next time, and it ends up just being you and him. laugh

this is actually more true than most people know.

I always have a group of students that I have a hard time getting to be quiet, and they are kind of rude. I always have a questionairre at the end of the class on things I can improve on. The most common answer that they tell me is that I need to tell the loud people to shut up. They were more annoyed by the loud people than I was but wouldn't speak up during the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Madsen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was enjoying that list as well. Did the offended parties "Report A Concern" to anyone? Or was it just assumed that they would be offended?

There was a geeklist a while ago (now deleted) that I thought would have offended Greg Schloesser. Many geeks spoke up in outrage on his Greg's behalf. It turns out he took it in good spirits. Maybe he was just being the "bigger person" and he really was offended but didn't let on... or maybe he actually took it in good fun and the rest of us completely over-reacted.

This kind of reminds me of the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association - USA) trying to ban all Native American mascots. The NCAA administration decided that they knew who was offended and by what so they instituted a ban across the board of using Native American tribe names and/or likenesses. It turned out that many schools, including my alma mater, the University of Utah, had great relationships with and the support of the tribes whose names they used. Most, if not all, of the bans were reversed on appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
HappyProle wrote:
Did the offended parties "Report A Concern" to anyone? Or was it just assumed that they would be offended?

Frankly, it wouldn't matter. If someone writes some biting satirical remarks about you that you're okay with, but prevents a dozen new users from wanting to speak up themselves sometime in the future lest they be subjected to something similar then the damage is done, even if no damage was felt by the target.

We want BGG to be a friendly, inviting place. If someone doesn't feel it's inviting because he or she isn't allowed to be discourteous to others then we have no problems with that person leaving.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Cincinnati
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
HappyProle wrote:
Did the offended parties "Report A Concern" to anyone? Or was it just assumed that they would be offended?

Frankly, it wouldn't matter. If someone writes some biting satirical remarks about you that you're okay with, but prevents a dozen new users from wanting to speak up themselves sometime in the future lest they be subjected to something similar then the damage is done, even if no damage was felt by the target.

We want BGG to be a friendly, inviting place. If someone doesn't feel it's inviting because he or she isn't allowed to be discourteous to others then we have no problems with that person leaving.

-MMM

Thats absolutely ridiculous: curtail satire in order to coddle those who are afraid they might be satirized? The problem is not with the satirist but with those who can't handle taking flak for their opinions. To suggest otherwise is nothing but to produce the most common pap, drivel that is utterly devoid of meaning.

Satire is not the same as discourtesy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
p0pcult wrote:

Satire is not the same as discourtesy!

I agree. However when they overlap, expect it to be deleted.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
shake

nothing left to say, but....

EAT THE

bunnies

every day in certain ways we're getting worserer and worserer....

Iblanknote that the 'rudely' SATIRICAL I SAY!! comments about
lovers no, that WOULD be
rudeblankasblankopposedblankto
""""""rude"""""" friends, shall we say
of short creatures and greeeeeedy :?: blankgameblank

designers

have not been deleted, shame about the rest of it (and us).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.