United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the early people to rate Extra! Extra! made the comment:

Quote:
room for improvement ... especially the size of the money(!!)

As the designer of the game, I too was skeptical about the size of the money chits that Mayfair Games chose to go with in the published game. During playtest, we had always used circular cardboard 'coins' and put them next to our reporters when placed on the game board.

However, having now played with the production version a few times, I must admit there is a lot of sense to using smaller notes that are just a little larger than the reporter's footprint. What they allow you to do is to put your reporter on top of a stack of money when overbidding another player for that spot you just MUST have. We have also got into the habbit of knocking over our opponents' reporter in a 'take that' manner. Great fun!

The only thing I will say about the money in Extra! Extra! is that we don't bother with the $500 notes, since they are visually indistinguishable from the $100 notes. The larger denominations are provided to prevent the game running out of notes - but this has never happened in any of our (UK) playtests. Maybe other players are more conservative in their use of money? Don't be!

So my suggestion is - keep the $500 notes in the box until you absolutely need them OR treat the $500 notes as if they are $100 notes.

I'd be interested to hear other people's views.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb J
United States
Westport
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi ^Andrew

First, that was a nice response. Second, I have to say I am conscious of posting anything that's not 100% positive especially since most of the time I am positive. We all have different tastes in games, but that's a different matter. I do however notice when the production value doesn't quite match the quality of game. (That’s a compliment to the game itself.) Examples are the thin components in Castles of Burgundy or Orleans (upgrades under consideration / already planned). It's sort of — this game is good and we want to play it a lot so let's ensure the quality of the components not only facilitate but also enhance game play.

SO,,, The size of the money certainly wouldn't put me off the game. I've played with 3 different groups now and watched others play during it's US debut at Origins. Size was a common comment since the font size may be size 6 or more likely smaller. (I think Mayfair used similar $s in at least one other game, Flea Market.)

I definitely agree that the small rectangular $s facilitate placement during the game. The money could probably be 100%+ larger and still work in that way. Perhaps making them different colours or having a larger number on the reverse would address it. I also liked your idea about setting aside the $500s. Maybe a highlighter on some will do the trick. I guess the point is that it might be worth addressing at some point, and also the players seemed to be a bit more conscious of a few practical aspects because of the higher price.

Thank you for commenting and sharing an idea. As for me —- I may, in future, refrain from writing comments at the end of a few 14-hr game days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EllenM wrote:
I definitely agree that the small rectangular $s facilitate placement during the game. The money could probably be 100%+ larger and still work in that way. Perhaps making them different colours or having a larger number on the reverse would address it ... I guess the point is that it might be worth addressing at some point, and also the players seemed to be a bit more conscious of a few practical aspects because of the higher price

If the game is successful enough to warrant a reprint, I will certainly put the case for an improvement in this respect. Your suggestions are very helpful. However, I do know it was a challenge to get all the components to fit onto the punchboards - so increasing the size of the money may be physically impossible without sacrificing something else (but I can't think what).

EllenM wrote:
Thank you for commenting and sharing an idea. As for me —- I may, in future, refrain from writing comments at the end of a few 14-hr game days!

I see no reason for you to refrain - everyone's entitled to their opinion.

This is my first published game and I'd love everyone to like it ... I can but dream.

I hope this doesn't put you off playing the game, because most people who have tried it have had a lot of fun with it (even with my cr***y prototype components).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.