Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a file of cards for players display their choice of staying in the mine or getting out.

We have enjoyed this game with a wide range of players. But, we have found that it is frustrating for some as they never fully grasp the system of show your meeple if you're out or show an open hand if you are staying in the mine.

The cards allow everyone to simultaneously show if they are in or out and not rely on the less intuitive "meeple system." It also has the advantage that some players (often kids) don't take advantage of the "meeple system" to cheat by showing after others do.

So no earth shattering addition, but has helped game play for some with this great party game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played with someone else's home made set, and they use cards similar to these. I must say, I think it is an improvement. It does make it easier, and as you said, makes for a simultaneous reveal. I do miss the meeples, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
wyldeoak wrote:
We have enjoyed this game with a wide range of players. But, we have found that it is frustrating for some as they never fully grasp the system of show your meeple if you're out or show an open hand if you are staying in the mine.

Really?

Oh crap ... I always teach it the wrong way round!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Schmit
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the meeple in the hand. I put out my hand closed and palm up. When I reveal my meeple I like to turn my hand over while simultaneously opening it. The sound of the meeple falling to the table is a nice addition. It says "Those gems are MINE! You suckers are gonna die!" to the other players. Or, at least, in my mind it says that.

It's also key to make sure one player is assigned the produce BSW-like sound effects when the disaster cards are drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play with kids. I find just having an adult say, "Everybody put a hand in! An empty hand if you're brave and want to keep going!", then *WAIT* until everybody has exactly one hand in, then count "1..2..3!" works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we play show your meeple if yoru staying makes more sense to use. and when we reveal its uh? where've you gone coward?

oh we also started playinf for pennies rather then gems the greed!:-)

oh p.s incan gold uses cards not meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's intuitive enough, the meeples that fall out of the hand are running for the door. And showing early isn't a problem if you have everyone put out either an empty hand or a meeple hand - only if everyone has their meeple and they either drop or don't. So use the former, not the latter.

Cards would work too of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Blumer
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, even though we use the cards for revealing the in/out decision. Meeples remain an active part of the game. They are now actually in the mine getting jewels, they make dinner at base camp for those still in the mine, they nail the mine shut after it's closed by disasters. So, our meeples are quite active, even though they were relieved of the one job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.