Canada
bon accord
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hey!
badge
What're you looking at!
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy this game as a two player game that involves a few light strategic decisions, followed by decisions only two choices: to be greedy or mean.

Race 1:

When laying bets I usually go with a single bet on a horse that rolls high on the horshead, and one that rolls high on the less probable rolls. My third bet is then based on what I might think will work for the particular race, and I often save my double be until the end for this reason.

This race there were two horses that we both bet on: Sir Barton and Whirlaway, but it was Armed that took the pacesetter bonus. I had placed my double bet on Devil Diver, which is more of a longshort horse, and it started in last position. It was as if my wife was psychic as she always made a point of shafting this horse every time she rolled a horsehead. It was in danger of coming in last. I did manage to give it some good rolls so it didn't finish last, but it was way out of the money. Results:

1. Whirlaway
2. Sir Barton
3. Armed
Last: Galorette

It turned out that my wife had her zero bet on Whirlaway, but had her double on Sir Barton and a bet on Galorette, so we ended up tied.

Me: $750 Penny: $750

Second Race:

This race I placed a bet on Citation, more of a middle of the road horse. I find the horses that do fairly okay on the less likely rolls and have a good horsehead roll are good bets if they are near the front of the pack. We both bet on Count Fleet, so I wanted to make sure that Citation finished ahead of him. I put my fake bet on the War Admiral as he was in the last starting position, hoping to fake out my wife and have her thinking that that was were my double bet was again. I even moved it first for the first couple of rounds to deepen the deception, and it worked!

Halfway through the race I gave up the pretence and concentrated on Count Fleet and Citation. The other horse I put my double bet on (Twilight Tear) was being picked on by my wife and never go close to the money. This race had three horses with sevens for the horse head, and it was a tight race.

In the final stretch, given a choice, I made Citation finsh ahead of Count Fleet.

Results:

1. Citation
2. Count Fleet
3. Sysonby

Money:

Me: 1700 Penny: 1600

Third Race:

This race I bet heavy on Grey Lag, who was in first position and rolled well on anything but a horse head. There is a danger in betting heavily on that kind of horse in that your opponent has many opportunities to shut you down. Penny did not bet on him, so I tried throughout the game to mainly use its second highest rolls so that I was less obvious.

Regret was also in this race and we both laid fake bets on this crazy long shot (moves 20 on a helmet roll). I kept up the ruse so far as to have it dash out the gate and collect the pacesetter bonus, but after that we gave up the pretence, after we rolled helmets several more times without moving it.

I also bet on Par Lap. Although a little further back in the pack, he is a very consistent roller and good to have in your paddock.

This too was a tight race, but with the bets doubled, I really cashed in.

Results:

1. Grey Lag
2. Alsab
3. Phar Lap

As the sole better on Grey Lag, and a double bet at that, I cleaned up.

Final:

Me: $4200 Penny: $2300

This is a fun game, and especially good when you want something that will not burn your brain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.