BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Xcom or Pandemic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hannah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi I'm new

I've always enjoyed board games but admittedly only really played your mainstream games (monopoly, cluedo, articulate, cranium etc) and only played Talisman quite recently.

I decided I would like to buy a more unusual game and try to convince my friends to play. I have looked into a bit and there's a shortlist of a few I'm interested in, but I thought initially it might be an idea to get one that can be played with just 2 players in case it ends up being just me and my fiance playing!

So I'm down to Xcom or Pandemic for my first purchase, which sound a little similar in spirit to me. We do like the Xcom video game so itmight be nice to support that, Pandemic has more add ons and is a bit cheaper... feeling a bit torn!

Any recommendations for one over the other? Is one better for newbies than the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off welcome to BGG. It is a great community and I hope to enjoy it enough to add your own touch to it. As far as your question I would go with Pandemic. Dont get me wrong, both are great games but X Com might be just a bit too much to start off with. Pandemic is a great start to anyones collection and I belive you can get many plays without needing to touch any of the expansions. Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Xcom but I can toss in a vote for Pandemic. It was my first hobby board game and I really like it.
I think it's good for new to board gaming gamers; I brought it on vacation and played with my Son and Brother in Law and they loved it. after the first game I though they may have had enough but we ended up playing two more games right in a row.

What I really liked was that we spent 15-20 minutes after losing discussing what went wrong, really analyzing our play. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ziegler
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I much prefer XCom. The time pressure adds an element of tension and reduces AP. My group never plays Pandemic anymore but XCom is in constant demand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard,
If you can get a group of 4, I think XCOM takes the cake, but if that number ranges from 2+ I would probably go with Pandemic. XCOM shines with 4, it is ok with less but it seems to be designed for 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

Having played excessive (some would say, "far too excessive") amounts of both games, I think X-Com is vastly vastly superior.

BUT!

I don't think it's necessarily the best game in this circumstance.

Pandemic is streamlined more, though I still wouldn't prefer it two player, and it will be a bit easier to get into the flow of, particularly since every player has relatively similar turn order and objectives.

That said, there's a chance X-Com (since you're familiar with it) is appropriate, but it's very much a complete chaotic experience for four, let alone two, and is absolutely, beautifully, mesmerizing-ly true to its PC game roots in being stressful and tense.

Neither are optimal with two. Both are great. X-Com is greater. And I wouldn't say either one is similar to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, I have decided to try Pandemic for now, figuring if we actually play it successfully and love it maybe we'll get xcom too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you made a great choice. My husband and I love Pandemic with 2P and find it both thematic and exciting, especially when we win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Pandemic and might play it again, but I'd rather play The Cure dice version of it, but right now I'd pick Xcom over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.