Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Oops... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I made a mistake with my first expansion purchase.

I just bought Darkness Unleashed and all I had before was the base Chronicles of Godslayer set.

Looking at how this was packaged - it seemed that they included some energy shards in the starting deck - which the core set obviously didn't have. So i took those out.

However looking at the rest of the set, it seems like it adds a lot of complicated rules/circumstances that don't look to relate well to the base set cards.

And the Energy/Dark Energy cards, are they just going to clutter up the main draw deck, especially if lots of cards that come out don't utilize them?

I'm gonna go pick up Return of the Fallen here today after work, but do any of you have experience on the best way to combine Darkness Unleashed with the "base" set cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Sorensen
United Kingdom
Millom
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment authoritatively on Darkness Unleashed, because I don't own it (but see below) but from memory we (my wife and I) didn't really enjoy Return of the Fallen and far prefer what I believe is the sequel, Immortal Heroes.

This is the promised "see below"... Many of the expansions are also stand-alone games, so they don't require the base game to play. Sure it's still possible to mix them all together, but I suspect this will dilute the experience. Also, the energy shards you mention are probably required before Darkness Unleashed will make sense; I'd expect many of the cards in that set to refer to the shards, and without them the new cards would lose their value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Indru
Romania
Timisoara
Timis
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For an optimal experience, Darkness Unleashed is meant to be combined with Rise of Vigil.
In thery, you can combine the sets however you like, but the game experience and card synergies become very diluted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djdano wrote:
For an optimal experience, Darkness Unleashed is meant to be combined with Rise of Vigil.
In thery, you can combine the sets however you like, but the game experience and card synergies become very diluted.

This is correct.

Set 1: Chronicle of the Godslayer / Return of the Fallen
Set 2: Storm of Souls / Immortal Heroes
Set 3: Rise of Vigil / Darkness Unleashed
Set 4: Realms Unraveled
Set 5: Dawn of Champions

After set 3 they stopped doing expansions for each set.

The smaller expansions are shown in italics. The packaging claims they (the smaller sets) can be played as a stand alone but that just seems like a subpar experience to me. They should be played with their the larger set for the best experience. Perhaps this is why the poster above mentioned not liking return of the fallen. I think return of the fallen is excellent when paired with CotG, but as a stand-alone it would fall flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After set 3 they stopped doing expansions for each set.

Though Dawn of Champions was designed to work with Realms Unraveled, despite going to the large-set only format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey O'Sullivan-Bauser
msg tools
Jebstone wrote:

And the Energy/Dark Energy cards, are they just going to clutter up the main draw deck, especially if lots of cards that come out don't utilize them?

Any treasure card includes the draw of another card, so not really. The energy shards don't take up one of your 5 "hand" slots, you always draw another card to replace them - however many it takes to get 5 total heroes/constructs; and they get covered by other portal deck cards when they hit the center row - defeating/acquiring that card gets you the treasure beneath. Additionally, dark shards have a fate of "Each player may banish a card in their discard pile." This can be a really nice thing, to move the game along when you are stuck grinding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and try playing with the Darkness Unleashed cards mixed with your original set. The rulebook isn't really clear how they work:

When an energy card is flipped from the portal deck, put it in the center row as normal, and then flip another portal deck card to cover it. (It's possible to get several energy cards under a single hero/construct/monster card this way.) If any dark energy cards are flipped, they act the same way, except you also follow the printed Fate mechanic, which allows all players to banish a card from their discard pile.

When a player acquires a hero or construct, or defeats a monster, that has energy (either type) underneath, she also acquires those energy cards, which go to her discard pile as normal. When she draws them into her hand, each one adds +1 Energy **and** she draws another card. Therefore, energy doesn't replace other cards in either the Center Row or your hand.

Many cards in DU (and its predecessor set) pay attention to your Energy total. Unlike Runes or Power, Energy isn't used up -- you gain Energy and you keep it for the rest of turn. Whenever a card has an Energize ability, you check it against your Energy total and, if you have enough, you get to do that ability in addition to or instead of the card's regular ability. So, like, if a hero says "+1 Rune. Energize 2: +1 Rune," when you play it, you check your Energy. If you have 2 or more, you get 2 runes. If you have 0 or one Energy, you just get one rune. Either way, your Energy total doesn't change.

IMO, energy adds a lot of fun to the game and some strategy, because you often have to play your cards in the right order to maximize your energy abilities (although there are other sets that a much more about that sort of thing, such as Storm of Souls). Mostly though it creates a lot of big moments. This does make the game more swingy, but if you don't like a game with lots of variation you need to react to on the fly, you should probably be playing Dominion in the first place.

Note that DU probably includes enough energy cards to play for four people, so you need to take some out if playing with 2 or 3. IIRC, th rations are given in the DU rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the clarifications

I did mix DU with the base set and it works perfectly fine. There really haven't been any hangups with cards that require energy, and I haven't noticed any Over powered cards or combos in the 6 or so times I've played since blending. The Transform mechanic is super cool too and I really love being able to transform a card in my hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.