Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Bethel
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Somewhere buried in a box is my Talisman boardgame. I need to get it out someday, but I was wondering: Has time produced a modern game fans of Talisman would recognize as a "successor" or at the least, "in the spirit of?"

Because I would buy that game. Yep.

I know of Return of the Heroes and Runebound, which sound promising. Any others?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pottage
United Kingdom
Nr Wakefield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mb
Your best bet is probably Prophecy, published a few years ago in the Czech Republic under the name of Proctvi. It is available in the USA, certainly from Funagain and probably others. It is generally regarded as being based on Talisman, but with various improvements such as no dice being used for movement. It can last up to three hours but works well. Inevitably there are a couple of expansions around, though not in English yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You obviously already know about Runebound (Second Edition), but if you haven't already, I would read Paul's comparison review:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/138452

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
thoth93 wrote:
Has time produced a modern game fans of Talisman would recognize as a "successor" or at the least, "in the spirit of?"

No question about it: Prophecy -- it is exactly what you are describing. Games like Runebound and Return of the Heroes are more adventure games, similar to Talisman and Prophecy, but distinctly different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imho: No.

The excitement we had (sometimes still have) when it comes close to the games end is yet unbeaten.
This 3-level mechanics works wonderful and found unfortunately no savor successor till today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy is very similar, and in my opinion, a better version of Talisman. You have less control over increasing your strength and will like in Talisman, but you have total control over movement, and can buy things like skills and items whenever you want as long as you are on the appropriate space. Which unlike in Talisman, is very easy to get where you want to go. Battles work the same in Prophecy as in Talisman, ie roll a die, add your strength or will, plus items and skills, vs. roll of monster and it's strength/will. Highest wins. The game ends when one player has 4 of the 5 artifacts guarded by some nasty critters. If all of the artifacts have been recovered, but no one has 4, it becomes player vs. player until one person has 4. Good game, can last a little long, hoping the expansions come out in english.

Other games like Runebound and Return of the Heroes (neither of which I've played, but hope to some day) don't have the same type of mechanics as Talisman, but are favorite adventure board games among geeks.

Also good are Descent, more of a dungeon crawl like heroquest and warhammer quest, and Arkham Horror, another adventure game but cooperative and with a H.P Lovecraft, horror theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
There are two issues going on: has anyone made an updated version of Talisman which is essentially Talisman but a little bit different? Yes, the game is Prophecy. As to whether this is a true "successor" or whether another game with completely different mechanics, like Runebound, WoW, or whatever, capture the spirit of Talisman in such a way that it should have the title of "successor", that's an open question. Runebound is the only other contender I've played, but it just doesn't have the feel of Talisman.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian F.
United States
Springville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought both Runebound and Return of the Heroes, hoping they would be good successors.

They aren't. I have them up for sale on EBay now.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vitas Povilaitis
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Sword & Skulls captures the spirit of Talisman.

It has the thrill of acquiring stats and foiling other players, while letting you decide if you've built up your stats enough to enter the caves for the final battle.

Sincerely,
Vitas Povilaitis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Miller
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The PokeMon boardgame is essentially a slightly-less-irritating version of Talisman...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.