Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: General retreat option? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sheetz

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
This question came up at tonight's game.......

Rebels attack roll against Union infantry with an attached general:

Cavalry, Artillery, Artillery, and Flag

Obviously there are no casualties. However because the Union infantry has an attached general, they don't have to retreat......or do they?

What if the Union player benefits from retreating, can he or she choose to retreat instead of standing ground? The rules don't appear to address this situation.

We ended up erring on the side of caution and did not allow the union player (ahem.....me) to retreat to higher ground. Although I would have been in a more favorable position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Smith
United States
Kokomo
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 9 of the rules "Generals in Battle"

Embolden troops: Each time a unit with an attached general is attacked, that unit MAY ignore one retreat flag rolled against it.

The capped MAY is mine.

The unit does not have to retreat but it can retreat if it chooses to retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheetz

Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
msg tools
Thank you Randy.

Dang, I read the "Retreat" rules multiple times and what I was looking for was actually in the "Generals in Battle" section!

Oh well, I was routed at Dranesville regardless, so even had I correctly retreated in that one instance, I still would have lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Japanese (in M'44) are the only C&C force that, AFAIK, MUST ignore retreats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
The Japanese (in M'44) are the only C&C force that, AFAIK, MUST ignore retreats.

Creatures in BattleLore also must ignore the first retreat.
Otherwise retreat is optional

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.