Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a search, and while I picked up some interesting statistical information, and a couple of potential techniques, I didn't find a good answer. My problem is that having recently found boardgames my family will play with me, I am taking advantage of that before the glow fades as it were. The problem is, they like tile laying games. Which isn't a huge problem in that I enjoy them as well. (well, I enjoy almost any game somebody will play with me.) My last few purchases have been Tsuro, Drakon, house on the hill, and metro. All tile laying games, and all potential games if there is nothing (in their view) worth watching on television. (thank God we don't have cable.) Again, it's fine because I like all those games. But because I am generally the instigator, I am also generally the setter upper. Here is my problem:

How do you shuffle tiles?

They aren't flexible like cards, so the traditional card shuffle doesn't work very well. I have tried the holding the deck in your hand, taking tiles off the top and cutting them randomly into the deck in your other hand, but most of the stacks are too big to hold in one hand. I tried the mix shuffle as in dominoes, and scrabble, but I tend to flip them occasionally. So I don't know, I have a feeling our next purchase is going to be a carcassonne game. (thinking of discovery thanks to Boardgames with Scott) And before I get, or play another game, can somebody tell me an easy way to shuffle tiles that still gives a proper sense of "they are mixed up enough"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Put them in a cloth bag. I use Crown Royal bags and pull tiles from there (stick your hand in, grab a tile you can't see, pull it out, play it). If those are unavailable locally, visit your local craft store and you'll likely find something else to use instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently Ikea's kids area has had very nice velour bags for about 2 bucks if you have an Ikea near you and don't want advertising on your gaming supplies.

I am sure that Cost Plus and other places have nice cloth gift bags you could use, too. It seems that bags for wine and food as gifts are very "in" this year and you can find a nice variety.

We have also used an old opaque plastic pitcher. It's less satisfactory as it can cause some damage to the tiles' corners over time. It will work in a pinch for a game or two.

We often put the tile drawing bag (especially if it is really full) in a flattish bowl for passing it around. We have found it flops around less and takes up less space on the table.

-Helen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederik Wunderlich
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use most of the time also bags, got a mother and a sister who like sewing , but when none is around i mix he tiles before and when put them in the Game box in a line, and everybody draws just the top one at his or her turn.

I much prefer a bag before the gamebox sollution.

another sollution would be to get a bag for used clothes, when i was at boarding school i had some of these the smaller ones where made from nylon and been bought at Ikea, i'm quite sure they're still available, they must been something around 80 cm by 50-60 cm, quite big but you won't be able to take a look before drawing .

regards Frederik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to thank all of you, both for the solution, (simple, yet elegant, and I doubt I ever would have thought of it.) And also for examples of good bags to get, and where. Hugely useful advice that I will implement this weekend. Thank you again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.