Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At the start of a Titan game, each player gets two each of Gargoyles, Centaurs, and Ogres.

If you add the values, this comes to 72 points.

Purchase your Creatures:
An idea for a variant is to let players purchase their starting forces using the 72 points. A minimum of two characters per legion as normal, and the Titan and Angel must be in different starting legions.

For example, its the start of the game. A player uses his 72 points to purchase the following:
1x Troll
1x Minotaur
1x Warbear
1x Lion
They will have seven points remaining, but since its not enough to continue purchasing creatures, he is done.

More points:
To make things more interesting and to advance to a new level, give players more points than 72. Maybe something like 100 points to purchase their starting forces. The starting forces may be placed into 2 or 3 legions instead of just 2, but still a min of two per legion as normal.

Option to Shorten:
Or, to shorten the game, just use the variant in the rules that removes the Ogre, Centaur, and Gargoyle from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Giesing
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
At the start of a Titan game, each player gets two each of Gargoyles, Centaurs, and Ogres.

If you add the values, this comes to 72 points.

Purchase your Creatures:
An idea for a variant is to let players purchase their starting forces using the 72 points. A minimum of two characters per legion as normal, and the Titan and Angel must be in different starting legions.

For example, its the start of the game. A player uses his 72 points to purchase the following:
1x Troll
1x Minotaur
1x Warbear
1x Lion
They will have seven points remaining, but since its not enough to continue purchasing creatures, he is done.

More points:
To make things more interesting and to advance to a new level, give players more points than 72. Maybe something like 100 points to purchase their starting forces. The starting forces may be placed into 2 or 3 legions instead of just 2, but still a min of two per legion as normal.

Option to Shorten:
Or, to shorten the game, just use the variant in the rules that removes the Ogre, Centaur, and Gargoyle from the game.

I'm not so sure about this variant. Points are only a very approximate indicator of a unit's true value. Rangers are significantly more valuable than Ogres, for example, despite being worth only 4 extra points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
kgiesing wrote:
I'm not so sure about this variant. Points are only a very approximate indicator of a unit's true value. Rangers are significantly more valuable than Ogres, for example, despite being worth only 4 extra points.

I would have compared Rangers to Trolls. They both have 16 points.

It seems to me that each point is a very big difference, so 4 pts would be huge.

I tried to give all the creature a point value for just their hand-to-hand combat ability [ignoring native terrain, flying, and rangestriking]. I wanted the creatures to add, meaning 2 Trolls vs 1 Hydra or 2 Centaurs vs 1 Unicorn, for example. I had to add or subtract halfs for the smaller creatures and 1s for most of the rest. Only for Skill 2 creatures vs Skill 4 creatures [which I felt needed a 2nd number] were the # larger than +/-1].

If someone asks I might put the resulting list in Strategy.

The way I calculated it was -- Power# * strike % * 6 creatures = number of hits the 6 creatures will get [sometimes I compared 6 vs 12 creatures when they were different sizes], for both creatures being compared. Now compare the # of hits to the enemy creatures and figure what % of them you will kill. The creature that kills a higher % of the opposing creature than it loses is "better" and needs more points than the other one.

Therefore, Ogres are 12(vs 2s & 3s); 11.5(vs 4s)
Centaurs are 12.5
& Gargoyles are 11.5 with this system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Giesing
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
kgiesing wrote:

I would have compared Rangers to Trolls. They both have 16 points.

I thought about this a bit more after posting. The reason I was comparing characters of different point values was to emphasize the fact that the scaling is nonlinear.

If you make enough adjustments, you can maybe find a way to get points to represent combat value. But combat value is really only a part of what makes a character valuable in the overall game; the other part is muster potential, and there, tier matters a lot more than points.

Imagine I took: Titan + Colossus, Angel + Hydra. My opponent took tower creatures. How long will it be before my opponent can realistically attack me? How likely is it that in the intervening time I've recruited a lot more top tier characters and will completely crush him? The situation gets a lot worse if I get a few lucky starting rolls.

I think the strategy under this system becomes degenerate.

Edit: Sorry, that turned out to be a mixed response to two different posters. Hope it's not too confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgiesing wrote:
[q="Steve1501"][q="kgiesing"]
Edit: Sorry, that turned out to be a mixed response to two different posters. Hope it's not too confusing.

Not so much.

I just tossed this idea out there since the other posts got me thinking about this.

I will probably still continue to play Titan as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
First, you'd be far better off having more similar creatures, since that would give you a leg up on recruiting.

Second, as mentioned above, it's not linear. So a 6-4 Unicorn is better than two 3-4 Centaurs.

Third, for a given point value, skill-4 creatures are more powerful than skill-2 creatures, which are more powerful than skill-3 creatures in open terrain. But of course terrain matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
Purchase your Creatures:

Solved it! Titan Colossus/Angel Hydra [70 points used]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.