Subject: Hillary's first major campaign speech rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Hillary Clinton's first major campaign speech.

I have to admit I like everything she said.

What say ye, RSP?

Clinton Sketches Populist Message In First Major Speech Of Campaign
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/13/414198485/...

Here's a longer report:

Hillary Clinton, in Roosevelt Island Speech, Pledges to Close Income Gap
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/14/us/hillary-clinton-attacks...

--which includes the following amazing statistic:

“The top 25 hedge fund managers make more than all of America’s kindergarten teachers combined, often paying a lower tax rate.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have loved to hear her go back in on health care, but kind of understand why she didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

“The top 25 hedge fund managers make more than all of America’s kindergarten teachers combined, often paying a lower tax rate.”

Which just proves that those fund managers add more value to our world than all of our kindergarten teachers put together.

At least we reward them with a low tax rate, but it's quite shameful how little recognition they get in terms of homemade cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Proof that she has been replaced by a highly advanced robot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
I have to admit I like everything she said.

You're obviously not an experienced leftist. The correct response is to complain about the things she didn't say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a hypocrite she is.

If she just said "Yes I'm rich as hell and I have no way of connecting or relating with the average American family", then I'd respect her more.

Same with Elizabeth Warren... they complain about the top 1% and yet fall within the top 0.1% themselves.

At least the republicans basically admit they're rich assholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you try to get tickets to see Hillary here in Iowa be sure to bring your money and photo ID to her invite only rally's in which she claims to be against isolated candidacies and voter ID requirements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
What a hypocrite she is.

If she just said "Yes I'm rich as hell and I have no way of connecting or relating with the average American family", then I'd respect her more.

Same with Elizabeth Warren... they complain about the top 1% and yet fall within the top 0.1% themselves.

At least the republicans basically admit they're rich assholes.

Yeah, I agree to a point, but really, if they propose legislation to redistribute more wealth, including their own, is that still hypocritical? I agree though that if they propose legislation that "loopholes" their particular source of wealth, then they are reprehensbile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

She forgot to add "But my net worth dwarfs them all! Haha hahaha!"

Why would she add that since it's not true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin wrote:
Yeah, I agree to a point, but really, if they propose legislation to redistribute more wealth, including their own, is that still hypocritical? I agree though that if they propose legislation that "loopholes" their particular source of wealth, then they are reprehensbile.

I suppose not. I just don't get how people like Hillary, Romney, etc. can look an audience in the eye and pretend to relate with middle or working class families.

There are people like Bernie Sanders (whose net worth is a tiny fraction of Hillary's) who doesn't pretend to be somebody he's not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
I suppose not. I just don't get how people like Hillary, Romney, etc. can look an audience in the eye and pretend to relate with middle or working class families.

Mitt was born rich, but Hillary wasn't; her dad had a small textile business and she went to public schools, and it's entirely fair to characterize her youth and upbringing as middle class. She became a partner at a successful law firm, and that's great money (he said from personal knowledge) but it also doesn't make you wealthy (he also said from personal knowledge).

The Clintons didn't really become rich rich, in the megawealth sense, until after Bill's presidency, even their major windfall (or, if you prefer, "windfall") from Whitewater was only about $100,000, which isn't rich person money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
So that's why Ted Cruz signed up for Obamacare?

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

I don't think you have to have cancer to relate to cancer victims. It's not that relevant. I know rich people who are deeply committed to and sympathetic to the poor (much more so than me) and I know middle-class people who are seriously dismissive of anyone slightly less fortunate than themselves. It's much more determined by the person than by their experiences.

That said, Hillary did spend all of her formative years in the middle class. So that's something too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

Ted signed up to play a little bit of "rope a dope" on his political opponents, I have a feeling his experience using it is going to serve him well if he gets the nomination.

It would be like Hillary going to a gun show.
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/elections/presid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Name one kindergarten teacher with a net worth higher than Hillary's.

If you can, then sure, the statement would not be true. I highly doubt you can find one, but would be impressed if you could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

If you can, then sure, the statement would not be true. I highly doubt you can find one, but would be impressed if you could.

Why limit to just the kindergarten teachers, the claim was that her income dwarfed them 'all', that would include the hedge fund managers, of which the top 25 included billionaires (per Forbes)

I have no idea what the net worth of every kindergarten teacher is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally know several "hedge fund managers" with a lot more wealth than Hillary. "Her wealth dwarfs them all" is one of the stupidest things yet claimed in RSP. And that's saying something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Drew can clarify, but I took him to mean that her wealth dwarfed the hedge fund managers, not the kindergarten teachers. If he meant the teachers then the joke doesn't make any sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad_Ellis wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Drew can clarify, but I took him to mean that her wealth dwarfed the hedge fund managers, not the kindergarten teachers. If he meant the teachers then the joke doesn't make any sense.

On the contrary, it was clear that he meant all kindergarten teachers, because it would not make any sense at all to declare she was wealthier than hedge fund managers - that would be incredibly easy to dispute.

On the other hand, it would be nearly impossible to dispute the claim that Hillary is wealthier than ALL kindergarten teachers. Jeremy tried, but cannot back it up with facts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
On the contrary, it was clear that he meant all kindergarten teachers, because it would not make any sense at all to declare she was wealthier than hedge fund managers - that would be incredibly easy to dispute.

Syntactically, when you mention two groups of people and then you say "them all" you're specifically combining both groups. That's what the words mean.

The argument that he couldn't mean what he wrote because it would be obviously wrong is undermined by him posting obviously wrong stuff every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
On the other hand, it would be nearly impossible to dispute the claim that Hillary is wealthier than ALL kindergarten teachers. Jeremy tried, but cannot back it up with facts.

I tried what? I think you must be confused as I specifically said the 'all' included the hedge fund managers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
Chad_Ellis wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
jmilum wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Or the bwahaha at the end could subtly imply that it was a joke, which (since the comment has now had multiple replies) is on us, rather than being meant as a literal claim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.