Subject: IOD and the Doom Track + Blue Anchor Spaces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Teixeira
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We played IOD for the first time last night and all really enjoyed it, but there are a couple of questions that we have that we don't seem to be able to answer from either the original Runebound or IOD manuals.

1) IOD and the Doom Track - can this be used as a way of limiting the games in the same way as the original or is it best not to use this varient?

2) Blue Anchor Spaces - when sailing and you move to a anchor space do you have to reveal the card or can you choose not to as if you were on land and then carry on moving in your next turn?

3) Blue Anchor Cards - If you do not complete the encounter does the card become an undefeated challenge just like the green/yellow/red cards?

Can any one help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To try and answer your questions...

1) There's nothing official about using the Doom track, as far as I know, but I once tried a solo game with modified doom track rules, as follows:

Quote:

I decided to use modified Doom Track rules as follows:
3 discarded cards per Doom Counter
4 experience points per upgrade
Once the Doom Track was completed, if my hero did not have a set of maps AND enough gold to hire the first available captain, then they had failed. Otherwise my hero would travel immediately to the Isle of Dread and face the challenges there.

2) You must reveal a card. In the case of sea travel, something encounters you, instead of you choosing to encounter something.

3) As far as I remember the challenge is discarded. I think this only happens if you successfully flee, otherwise you've either won or died.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the reprinted copy of Island of Dread.

1) Haven't tried the Doom track with IoD yet but the Doom track needs house rules even with standard Runebound. I'd suggest just using a (real) time limit.

2) According to the Island of Dread rules you have to reveal a sea encounter.

3) According to the IoD rules (sheet) the sea encounters never become an undefeated challenge.

Note that the Island of Dread rules have changed how escape (from encounters) works.

I've had to make some assumptions with this expansion. For example, 'nearest' town for knockouts doesn't include towns on other islands and Sea Captains can be added in addition to two allies. Also Captains add an exhaustion marker during the Experience phase even if the player turn is 'over' because of an escape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.