Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudi Geudens
Belgium
Sint-Gillis
Unspecified
flag msg tools
There are already several BL games available in our club:

http://www.tsoa.be/

and there is a fierce discussion going on within TSA about "to paint or not to paint". Therefore, I did a fastpaint job on a Hobgoblin:

- prime black;
- drybrush ivory;
- apply different colours of Vallejo ink (or Vallejo acrylic paint
with Vallejo thinner added, to "make" ink). Cover the egdes around
the flag with blue, red or green ink;
- add scenic grass;
- spray varnish matt or semi-gloss (make certain to cover the banner
properly: without the shiny effect of the sticker it looks MUCH better).

I glued the fig on a metal base for magnetic transport.

When doing say 12 figs at the time, total time spent/fig is less
than 10 minutes. I've highlighted the face, but that is not a must.

The painted figure looks just as good as many (more expensive) ones,
and hey!, they're in the BL box anyway, so they are actually free
(so to speak...).

I have placed a picture of the Hobgoblin in the "Images" section of the BoardgameGeek "Battlelore" page: (http://files.boardgamegeek.com/bggimages/pic166301_mt.jpg).
For a larger view, please look in the "images" section of this page.

Rudi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on painting mine too Rudi! Painted figs just look cool! It does not take long and you don't have to do extreme detail to make it look good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlelore does look really tempting to paint...

But only a minute per figurine? Is that accurate? I mean, I know they're small, and it seems like it'd be easy to paint the appropriate portions the appropriate colors...

But wow... if I can get the paints for cheap, I might have to do that. Anyone know a good mini-painting guide?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he was estimating 10 min per figure, which is still fast. I don't have my copy yet but I am very tempted too. I painted my War of the Ring figures and really enjoyed that but I did that fairly slowly over several months. If I enjoy the game and it looks like I will play it a lot (highly likely) then it's time to get the paints out again! Dan Karp here on the Geek wrote a primer () on painting his WotR figures, let me look for the link.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Becker
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will paint. Definitely. I will do a quick table-top-quality paint job perhaps using the magic dip shading method.

Rudi, your goblin looks fantastic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! The grass looks great! What exactly did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueJackal wrote:
if I can get the paints for cheap,

And now a word from our sponsor:

I've been selling Adikolor paint at $1 per bottle. pm me for details or visit www.toohipfortheroom.com/adiken.htm and check out the 'painters starter' info or the full pricelist.

We now return to your regular thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Carlson
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...great job! Does the paint you are using come in dropper bottles? Meaning you can squeeze the bottle to get one drop out? Or is it a dip bottle, where you dip the brush in the actual bottle? I've been using Adiken's paint, which I love, but they went out of business, and you can't get the paint anymore. So if this type of paint is a dropper type, let me know...I need to find a good replacement.

Anyway....the grass looks good...I'm assuming, for the guy who posted above, that you are using static grass.

Which again, for the guy above (sorry, forgot to look at your name), is a material that looks like little green (other colors are available too) fibers. After you glue it to the base, you blow on the fibers and they stand up, like how it looks on this fig. I have an example of a navia dratp figure where I used static grass, if you want to see (www.jc-designs.net/navia). Look at the 5th fig on the right at the bottom of the page. That is static grass with some gravel on the base.

I agree with the above posters too. 10 minutes a fig seems really dam fast for that amount of detail.

I would like to try it myself, but I am one of those who would have to paint each fig in great detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
hughthehand wrote:
I've been using Adiken's paint, which I love, but they went out of business, and you can't get the paint anymore.

OK, Jeremy, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were typing that while my prior post came up.

I have over 4,500 bottles available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Geudens
Belgium
Sint-Gillis
Unspecified
flag msg tools
beckerdo wrote:
I will paint. Definitely. I will do a quick table-top-quality paint job perhaps using the magic dip shading method.

Rudi, your goblin looks fantastic.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Geudens
Belgium
Sint-Gillis
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Axelfudge wrote:
Great job! The grass looks great! What exactly did you use?

I intend on replacing the game board by Kallistra tiles that we use for our miniature games:

http://www.kallistra.co.uk/

This company sells the Noch grass they use to flock their Hexon II tiles in bags as well; this is what I used.

Rudi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Geudens
Belgium
Sint-Gillis
Unspecified
flag msg tools
hughthehand wrote:
Wow...great job! Does the paint you are using come in dropper bottles? Meaning you can squeeze the bottle to get one drop out? Or is it a dip bottle, where you dip the brush in the actual bottle? I've been using Adiken's paint, which I love, but they went out of business, and you can't get the paint anymore. So if this type of paint is a dropper type, let me know...I need to find a good replacement.

Vallejo model colours (with dozens of colours to choose from) comes in dropper bottles:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

Anyway....the grass looks good...I'm assuming, for the guy who posted above, that you are using static grass.
Which again, for the guy above (sorry, forgot to look at your name), is a material that looks like little green (other colors are available too) fibers. After you glue it to the base, you blow on the fibers and they stand up, like how it looks on this fig. I have an example of a navia dratp figure where I used static grass, if you want to see (www.jc-designs.net/navia). Look at the 5th fig on the right at the bottom of the page. That is static grass with some gravel on the base.

See my earlier reply to another poster (mentioning Kallistra).

I agree with the above posters too. 10 minutes a fig seems really dam fast for that amount of detail.

The method described above is a "fastpaint" method we developped to obtain a maximum result with little time spent per figure (we play mainly tabletop miniature wargames with (metal) figures). The basic idea is you "undercoat" the figure in either black or brown, drybrush with ivory colour (rather than white, which results in too "hard" a contrast) to highlight all details and "paint" with acrylic ink or thinned down acrylic paint, creating depth in ONE GO, whereas otherwise you would need several layers of highlighting with running the risk of painting "outside the lines". Since ink flows a lot better than paint, with this method you run (nearly) no risk there at all.

Rudi

I would like to try it myself, but I am one of those who would have to paint each fig in great detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Jackal
United States
Nowhere
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggested materials or brands or where do you purchase the acrylic ink from? Do you paint it on like you would paint?

As painting sounds nifty, but 10 minutes per figurine is too hardcore for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi Geudens
Belgium
Sint-Gillis
Unspecified
flag msg tools
BlueJackal wrote:
Any suggested materials or brands or where do you purchase the acrylic ink from? Do you paint it on like you would paint?

As painting sounds nifty, but 10 minutes per figurine is too hardcore for me.

The ink is mainly Vallejo (though other modelling ink will do as well). Since there is only a ltd number of ink colours available, I also use Vallejo paint, thinned down with Vallejo thinner (rather than water) to make my own "ink". Yes, paint it on like paint (for red & yellow you might need 2/3 layers, but that's included in the 10 minutes).

Once you get the grip of the system, 10 minutes per fig (when working in batches) is not unrealistic at all. When painting "with paint only" a figure takes me about an hour (painting, drybrushing, correcting, highlighting, correcting...).

Rudi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You know, a motivated BGG'er might consider setting up a trade system for painted minis. I love the look of the painted figures, but I lack the patience and skill to do it.

Just sayin'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the cool things about Memoir '44 was the figures looked like the green army men I played with as a kid. That's a bonus for someone like me who has no painting skills or patioence to do it. I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the people here do with their Battlelore minis though. I'm sure they're going to look awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painting the figs sounds like fun, but I remember having pretty poor luck at painting Warhammer 40K epic minis because of a lack of artistic flair. I'm wondering if a badly painted figure is worse than a plain grey one.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.