Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a hajr from Orlando to Jacksonville on Saturday, June 13, to run a game of Dune and use my latest custom board. Alas, I can offer no photographic evidence as my iPhone photo was rejected by the mods. Playing were:

Emperor - Howard Adams, Sr.
Atreides - Howard ("Howie") Adams, Jr.
Guild - Charles Corzine
Harkonnen - Chip Darcy
Fremen - David Drake

and filling in for a no show:

Bene Gesserit - Alex (sorry Alex, didn't get your last name)

Turn 1 found the Atreides claiming a spice blow outside Tuek's Sietch while the Fremen and Harkonnen battled over spice near Arrakeen. Otheym was shielded from the treacherous Harkonnen's slip tip, but a slight advantage in numbers meant a Fremen loss anyway.

Turn 2 found the Emperor bringing all his mighty strength in a full scale invasion of Carthag. On the far side of the planet, the Bene Gesserit and Fremen claimed spice blows. The Harkonnen was bracing himself for an unavoidable defeat due to the overwhelming numbers of the Emperor. But what's this? A traitorous Burseg is leading the battle?!?! The Emperor was stunned! 20 troops sent to the tanks! Somewhere, a very large floating man could be heard bellowing with laughter.

Turn 3 found Shai-hulud showing himself for the first time in the Habbanya Ridge Flat. He found a few tasty Bene Gesserit witches out there. With the Fremen in Sietch Tabr and Habbanya Ridge Sketch, Harkonnen in Carthag, and Atreides in Arrakeen, a plan was quickly hatched. "We're already in 4 strongholds. Let us ally - nobody can stop us."

The Guild and the Bene Gesserit quickly discussed options. The Guild, sitting on much spice but in need of help in battle, begged the witches to lend their Voice to their cause. The Emperor, with little to offer but another vast quantity of spice, begged to join.

Thus the first Nexus concluded with 2 alliances of 3 factions: Harkonnen-Atreides-Fremen and Guild-Emperor-Bene Gesserit.

The poor Atreides quickly discovered the folly of allying against the Emperor: the Bene Gesserit was quickly filled with treachery cards with no expenditure of spice. The Emperor was filled as well. The Atreides did manage to purchase one more card. And what a card it was: the Lasegun!

The Turn 3 movement round went quickly. The Harkonnen-Atreides-Fremen alliance stayed put and reinforced. The Guild held on to Tuek's Sketch and attacked the Atreides in Arrakeen. The Emperor, with 1 Sardauker and 2 ordinary troops fresh from the Bene Tleilaxu Tanks, attacked the Fremen in Sietch Tabr. And a newly confident and assertive Bene Gesserit, flush with spice from the Guild and Emperor, and with a full hand of cards, brought everything they had against the Fremen in Habbanya Ridge Flat.

The Harkonnen sat helplessly and watched as battle unfolded all around him. First, the Atreides repelled the Guild attack in Arrakeen with the mighty Lasegun. But next, 3 lowly troops were able to take Sietch Tabr from the Fremen with the cunning leadership of Count Fenring, not to mention an effective use of the Chaumus poison on Chani!

The fate of Arrakis was to be decided on the far side of the planet: could the Bene Gesserit wrest control of Habbanya Ridge Sietch from the native Fremen? Oh, but the battle was over before it began. The Fremen were not only defenseless, but they were weaponless as well! And numbers! The witches outnumbered the dessert dogs by 2 to 1. The Fremen's only hope was a traitor.

But it was not to be. The Good Reverend Mother Ramallo was true to the Bene Gesserit cause and led her troops to victory in Habbanya Ridge Sietch, and control of Dune was claimed by the alliance of the Emperor, the Guild, and the Bene Gesserit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
And they got their
Sfwg46 wrote:
Bene Dessert
s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least with the iPhone's autocorrect, it will stop changing Gesserit to Dessert the first time you recorrect it. Not so on the Geek. Thought I'd caught all the typos on review, apparently not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly why I dislike untamed alliances, though they are a critical part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DnaDan56 wrote:
Exactly why I dislike untamed alliances, though they are a critical part of the game.

My long time group up in Michigan never allies. We always try to play Six Man. We don't even discuss allying when a worm comes up. We don't use spice to support troops and we add the Shield Wall to the strongholds. Must hold 3 of 6 to win. Usually makes for long, intense, bloody games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LordofDoom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
HI There! One of the things you mentioned was no rule for reshuffling the Treason Deck. That rule is in section III C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LordofDoom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Well, the urls didnt seem to work, here is the link to my photobucket page, with a few pics of the Dune game.

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/DrakeDavid/library/Rapier%2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! Thanks for the heads up on the rule. And thanks for linking to the photos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.