Popular Tags: [View All]
eric hess
United States
La Selva Beach (Santa Cruz)
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard the game was tough before I finally got to set it up and play this afternoon, but MAN! I lost all 3 of my armor, two commanders to KIA, and one of my armored cars in two battles the first week!

I had no idea what I was doing when I chose my own units or commanders as it can be pretty overwhelming going through those cards the first time, so I just sort of grabbed a balanced force.

Also not knowing which battalions I should engage the first week, I chose the only two that didn't require SOs - Scout Force and Dismounted troops (12 and 14 units on the board).

I assigned 4 and 3 units to fight each and was absolutely swarmed and annihilated! With the +1 and +2 tactical movement they just kept coming and coming, hemmed me in, and rushed my positions thereby nullifying any cover I had. Three die attack rolls one after the other took it's toll quickly.

I managed to reduce the Dismounted Troops to 1/2 strength before the battle ended but the scouts destroyed me completely and suffered only one casualty in turn.

I expected a steep learning curve, but this was brutal. Maybe a beginner set-up with recommended units, commanders, and enemy battalions could soften the blow? I've never played anything in the leader series, but it certainly isn't for the faint of heart!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoki Erdtman
Sweden
Södertälje
flag msg tools
badge
Handsome devil huh?
mbmbmbmbmb
biggdork wrote:
I expected a steep learning curve, but this was brutal. Maybe a beginner set-up with recommended units, commanders, and enemy battalions could soften the blow? I've never played anything in the leader series, but it certainly isn't for the faint of heart!

I honestly love this part of the Leader series. To me the first object is mastering the system, figuring out how to play the game, and plan your missions properly. I received Tiger Leader a week ago, but am waiting until Friday to dive in, as I'll be home alone without wife and kids for a month. I hope to get my butt handed to me, and spending days to figure out how to overcome those difficulties. Delightful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first alternate universe where Poland Zerg #1 never happened, I plan on buying lots and lots of low point infantry and armored cars to send to the meat grinder screen to hopefully delay the Zerglings long enough that I can pop a few of them and maybe at least reduce to 1/2 before retreating.

The poor bloody infantry/cars and green leaders will never know what hit 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook has a sample of a single week using the Poland campaign. Perfect for exactly the reasons you discuss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I of course read the example of play to get a feel for the game flow but I would like to have some more hand-holding (because I'm a gentle, delicate flower/snowflake) and explanation as to WHY the forces were chosen, etc.

Also, the example of play uses a 6 unit battalion, which is not representative of the typical forces you will fight against. When I read the example of play, it set the expectation that battles would be FAR more manageable than they ended up being!

I look forward to my Poland 1939 reboot to see what happens with a little experience and a new outlook on units and tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric hess
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*UPDATE*

The reboot has gone MUCH better

I made a cognizant effort to select my units/commanders and use attack/defense in depth where infantry, with appropriate commanders, shielded and tied up units that advanced on my positions while attacking from range behind. That 6+ field gun with a +2 commander is a doozy!

After grokking just a little bit of the rules and flow, I was able to control my battles, manage risk, and ended up with some severely damaged armored cars, one injured commander, two unfit, one KIA, one broken battalion, and two reduced to half strength!

Then the week end happened and losing 8 OPs for battalions behind my lines put me 1 OP away from losing despite my tactical successes! Oh well, you can't remember ALL the rules the first (or second) time through, can you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.