Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Matt Keyes
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
As a follow up to my last inquiry, i've narrowed down the list of the games i'm looking at.

Basically, i'm trying to find a good choice for 2 players (gaming with my wife) that will scale to 4, 5, or 6 when friends/family come over.

i am definitely going to get St. Petersburg, so i'm taking that off the list.

i am definitely not getting El Grande as per recommendations in the last thread (not good for two people).

What that leaves is a list of five games (below). i appreciate comments and suggestions regarding these games as well as any opinions on the games as well.

Here are the games i'm looking at:

Hansa
Leonardo da Vinci
Thurn and Taxis
San Juan
Princes of Florence
Ra (with two player variant rules)

Thanks for the help!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine Princes of Florence being any good with two players. Four or more is preferable. I've played the two player Ra variant with my girl-friend and thought it was ok, but not something we felt compelled to play again. A game that scales well from 2-6 is not an easy find. However, two games I can recommend in that category are Atlantic Star/ShowManager and Take it to the Limit/Take it Easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinion on these:

Hansa - playes very well with 2-4, I really enjoy this game.
Leonardo da Vinci - haven't played
Thurn and Taxis - playes very well with 2-4. (Played ~ 40 2 player games of this.)
San Juan - playes very well with 2-4
Princes of Florence - haven't played with two, but the consensus seems to be, the more the merrier here. I need to try Kramer's 2 player variant sometime.
Ra (with two player variant rules) - playes well with all numbers. The 2 player variant has a different feel to it although gameplay is identical and I have played it many times and enjoyed it.

How about:

Trader's of Genoa: 2 player variant work quite well in my opinion, surprising for a Trading game. 3-5 is great fun.

Ticket to Ride: great with any number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2-5 scales well?

Ticket to Ride
Through the Desert

A lot of the games that have been suggested are pretty heavy, I suggested some lighter ones in case your "5" are not gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis seemed much better to me with 3 or 4 than with 2. The fact that, in any given category, you were only fighting over a single point's difference and that the same consolation prize would be there waiting for you whenever you chose to redeem it really changed the game for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is the best game on your list, and scales very well from 2 to 5 players. It's best with 3 players, but still good at the extremes with either 2 or 5 players. Doesn't work with 6 though.

Hansa, Thurn & Taxis, and San Juan are all solid choices. All three of those work very well with just 2 players, but scale up to 4 players nicely. None of them work with 5 or 6 players though to my knowledge.

Princes for Florence is fantastic with 5 players, good with 4 players, and I wouldn't recommend it with 3 players, and I've never heard of a 2-player variant for PoF, so while it's a Top 20 game in my opinion, I would not recommend it for your circumstances.

If games that scale well from 2-4 players are what you're looking for, have you considered Knizia's Samurai or Ingenious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Games from 2-6 players are a headache for me too. I once asked Reiner snore why his games (mostly) only played to 5 and it was to do with the different mechanics required at each end of the spectrum.
However, glancing quickly through my collection, I can reccommend
Carcassonne (with 6p expansion)
Transamerica
Fearsome Floors
Alhambra (better with more than 2)
Bohnanza (better with more than 2)
Bang (better with more than 2)
Pickomino

in the 3-6 player range
Ave Caesar
Power Grid
Settlers of Catan
Robo Rally
Liar Dice/Bluff/Perudo
Cash n Guns (the more the merrier)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Huddleston
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you consider Tikal and Maharaja, or are they a bit hardcore for the visitors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
of the list you chose, having only played Ra, Hansa, and San Juan I recomend all of them and think they all play will with any number. That said I recomend them in this order if you will play them most often with 2.

San Juan (works wonderfully eith every number! Wonderful game!
Hansa (I think it works great from 2-4 as well, but to be honest I found it a little dry)
Ra (One of my all time favorites! I love it with any number, but the 2 player game is a little different that with any other number, perhaps try it with 2 first if you can?)

Josh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.