Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In his geeklist Crystal Ball (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/18023), Tom Rosen (Thommy8) suggested Age of Steam: Mongolia & Kitchen Sink. It was a joke of course, however, I took it seriously. Mainly because I'm a Mongolophile (see: my geeklist Mongolia (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/16944)) and I (therefore?) liked the idea of a Mongolian expansion for AoS.

The map:

A three section printable version is uploaded and is available in the files section:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/20629/aos_mongolia-pdf

This is a 2-player map.

rule changes (updated: Dec. 14)

Only 10 of the purple cubes are used. Set the rest aside.

The purple new city does not produce purple cubes (column F on the goods board). Replace these with other colours if drawn.

All cities on the map start with 3 cubes.

The white 4, 5 and 6 columns and the black 1, 2 and 3 columns are not used.

Issuing shares is simultaneous. All players select a number of their wooden discs equal to the number of shares they want to issue in their hands, and reveal these simultaneously.

There cannot be two cities in bordering hexes. Hence,
- Sükhbaatar and Bulgan can NOT be urbanized;
- EITHER Hovd or Ölgiy can be urbanized, but NOT both;
- EITHER Choybalsan or Baruun-Urt can be urbanized, but NOT both.

Thick black lines cannot be crossed. Irkutsk can only be entered through Sükhbataar.

Terrain costs:
hills: +1
mountains: +2
link to Beijing or Irkutsk: +2
All in addition to normal costs. (Hence, connecting Ulan Baatar to Irkutsk through Sükhbaatar would cost 5 and connecting Bayanhongor would cost 1 + number of connections + 2.)

A player can build only one external link (Irkutsk or Beijing) in a turn.

In the 'produce goods' phase, roll 2 D6 twice. Once for the white cities and once for the black cities. There cannot be more than 4 cubes in a city. If in the produce goods phase more should be added these remain on the goods board.

The game lasts 10 turns.

playtest notes (updated: Dec. 9)

The game is a bit more luck-dependent than normal AoS because of the limited availability of goods in the initial set-up (and the fact that new goods availability is - as usual - determined by dice).

In the first round, one player needs to connect Irkutsk to Ulan Baatar and the other player will have to build the Ulan Baatar - Beijing railroad. The first of these is much cheaper to build and has additional benefits because of the proximity of Bulgan. Don't let your opponent win the initiative in the first round (and therefore, in most cases, the Irkutsk - Ulan Baatar line) for a bid under $10!

If you build the Irkutsk - Ulan Baatar line, don't immediately connect Sükhbaatar to Bulgan. You may want to go from Sükhbaatar to Mörön or Öndörhaan later in the game instead and there are no more than three railroads out of a town. Urbanize Mörön as soon as possible and try to make a circle of towns and cities in the west of the board.

If you build the Ulan Baatar - Beijing line, it may be beneficial - depending on the cubes in Ulan Baatar, Beijing, and their columns on the goods board - not to urbanize Saynshand until very late in the game. Place a three way town on Saynshand in the first turn and build a circle connecting Saynshand, Ulan Baatar and all other eastern towns (urbanize two of these) in the first couple of rounds.

The best new cities in the first few rounds are generally the coloured one (purple especially), black tends to be most useful later in the game.

Both players obviously need to try to get railroads as deep as possible into the networks of the other players. Don't get shut off from the purple city and assure that you have (at least) three connections to Ulan Baatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Looks good! When can we expect the Kitchen Sink map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool.

1. How much are the links at the top and bottom of the map?

2. Why seperate the numbers on the cities between white and black? Why noy just 1-6 of black? Just wondering.

Thanks!
Luke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lucas wrote:
1. How much are the links at the top and bottom of the map?

Ah silly me, I new I forgot something. I changed it above.

Lucas wrote:
2. Why separate the numbers on the cities between white and black? Why not just 1-6 of black? Just wondering.

Because you'll need all 'new cities', both the black and white ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Query:

Do you have some restriction on the two "off map" connections?

i.e.: such as in Ireland, where players can only buy 1 offshore link per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Query:

Do you have some restriction on the two "off map" connections?

i.e.: such as in Ireland, where players can only buy 1 offshore link per round?

Yes. I keep forgetting the obvious. Added above. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait for a session report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
How many goods should the cities start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
How many goods should the cities start with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the two singly connected hexes in the upper right ever have track placed in them? i am not sure I see how a link could ever be made that uses either one of those hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jmilum wrote:
Will the two singly connected hexes in the upper right ever have track placed in them? i am not sure I see how a link could ever be made that uses either one of those hexes?

Several maps contain such vestigal hexes. The small islands in Scandinavia, odd peninsulas in Ireland and Scandinavia, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
file link for this now is http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/20629/aos_mongolia-pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.