Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we often find ourselves to be 6 players on a boardgame night but don't have time for some of the games that get to long with these numbers (Dominant Species, Caverna: The Cave Farmers). We do have some light games like The Resistance: Avalon that work great for a group but sometimes we want something a little more substantial.

Cosmic Encounter has been a crowd favorite, but it is a game I dislike because of its swingy nature (many cards have bigger effect on battle then your whole fleet), I will play it but I would love to have an alternative, We can handle 5 but 6 is very tricky.

We would rather have some interaction than multiplayer solitaire experience, also I'm looking for more of a board state game instead of a social game like Avalon. What could fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Only up to 4, but Glass Road and Castles of Mad King Ludwig both keep the time down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a shorter, lightly thinky game, I'd really really recommend Steel Driver. Buy some shares via auction, build some tracks, get money. Usually pretty cheap and kinda lovely, certainly "solid" I'd say.

Steam is a heavier, more fulfilling train experience, but well worth playing with 6 with the right board, and still done within the right timespan I expect.

Usual suspects for up to 6 also include Keyflower 9 times out of 10.

BUT... there's NOTHING wrong with splitting in to two groups of 3! Don't force games because of player count. As long as you have the table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games:

King of New York? I've only played it once (with 6 players)
Small World + Small World: 6 Player Board (teams of 2) - again only played once 6p game, but have played lower player counts. I prefer 6p to 5p.

Card games:
Race for the Galaxy goes up to 6 if you add The Gathering Storm and Rebel vs Imperium (I haven't played RvI, and haven't played it 5p much)
Bohnanza - plays up to 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CalicoDave
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group's go to 6 player game is Dominare. It take a good 2 or so hours once everyone is familiar with the rules. It also has a lot of interaction, or "take that". It's not a game for those that get upset when picked on, though.

Antike is another of our favorite 6 player games. it also takes about 2 hours and has player interaction. There are attacks but it's not really a wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can try out Evolution.

These are other games that can play up to six Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia, Viticulture, Bootleggers, Colonial: Europe's Empires Overseas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty sure Keyflower is exactly what you're looking for:

Plays 2-6, done in a couple of hours or less, lots of interaction.

Also, it's just a really, really good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Info
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Keyflower definately.
When we get 6 we pull out Powergrid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glaya B
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders is a good game, though I don't know if it has as much interaction as you want.

Citadels can be played with up to 8 (though it tends to last 2 hours with that many people).

Dominion + Dominion: Intrigue (or either plus an extra set of coins and victory cards) can handle up to 6, though it's best breaking up into two groups of 3 at that point.

Evolution could be just what you're looking for. It plays relatively quickly and has lots of interaction.

Scoville is another one, though the main form of interaction is blocking.

Lords of Waterdeep + Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport is a possibility, though I've never played with the expansion personally, so I can't say how well it plays with 6.

Tajemnicze Domostwo and Samurai Spirit are cooperative games that can play up to 7, if you want to give that a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Power Grid!

Airlines Europe (with the official 6P variant) also plays excellent with 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Maynard
United States
Newburgh
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Long live prog rock!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also add Shadows over Camelot in the cooperative genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Medieval Merchant. It'll play well with 4-6 players and there's no solitaire whatsoever. You've got to be ever mindful of what others are doing as players are competing for control of a limited number of cities and routes. It's a very clean design even if the board itself is a little like a plate of spaghetti.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How Many Players? Play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
BUT... there's NOTHING wrong with splitting in to two groups of 3! Don't force games because of player count. As long as you have the table space.

Yep. Or two groups of 2 and 4 even.

Based on many forum threads, "We must all play in a single large game" seems to be the curse which drastically limits the options of many a gaming group...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Quartermaster General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia Milne
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Acquire. It has been around for decades, but it is still in print.

Takes up to 6 and not all that long to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the full 4-6 range, I would recommend looking at:

Power Grid - Might get a bit long with 6 players, but super good game.

7 Wonders - Once you get everyone trained on this game it could take as little as 15 minutes. Though 30-45 is more likely. I'm just saying it is possible. Everyone picks their actions at the same time, so you can really fly if you want to.

Formula D Handles up to 10 players. You could do 6 players pretty quick as well.

Carcassonne - Can go up to 8 with the new big box (or buying more colors on various websites) but the base game does 2-5 and the first expansion adds a sixth. This is another quick game if you want it to be shorter.

Lords of Waterdeep - With it's expansion can go to 6. It will get a bit longer, but it isn't as long as Caverna or Dominant Species for sure.

Dominion - Takes either Intrigue or a base cards expansion to get to 6 players, and it isn't ideal at 6, but it still works and isn't a bad experience. It is just better at 2-4 players.

Alhambra - One of the last games I thought of that isn't "filler" sized. This goes to six and works well. It also doesn't get much longer with six, you just do less in each game (like Carcassonne) due to it spreading the tiles among 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Yep. Or two groups of 2 and 4 even.

Based on many forum threads, "We must all play in a single large game" seems to be the curse which drastically limits the options of many a gaming group...
And it's not even like you can play twice as many games that way. Split into to, get through each game in half the time... FOUR times as many games as a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Piquette
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at games I own that hasn't been suggested...

Euphoria - Worker placement with decent depth. Turns are surprisingly quick, and it can play up to 6 and still stay around an hour.

Hyperborea - 25 minutes per player, up to six players. Plays pretty quickly once people know what they're doing, and not too complex.

Both of the above have (the potential for) a lot of player interaction.

Kemet - only goes up to five, but has a lot of player interaction, since attacking is the main source of points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chicago Express has endless depth and plays up to 6 (though I'd recommend the expansion at that number). It has really simple rules and plays in 60m (first game might take 90) but good luck figuring out how to actually win during your first few games!

Lords of Vegas with the expansion plays up to 6 and is a blast. Tons of negotiating going on in that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
If we have exactly 6, my group loves to play Lifeboat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamaica and Libertalia... two pirate themed, excellent-at-6 player, play in under 60-90 minute games. Gorgeous components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown

Louisiana
msg tools
mbmbmb
I second Libertalia and King of Tokyo/New York. Lots of player interaction in both of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Steam, if you like trains. Look for a map designed to handle your player count.

On the economic theme, you can also go to 6 with Acquire.

For more interaction, consider Antike II. It looks like it should take a long time, but experienced players will get a game done in 90 minutes or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Vernaza
Canada
flag msg tools
There is Deal American Dream, a narco-strategic game that is currently on Kickstarter
Although it's conquering territory; it has a respect point system. the player who accumulates 10 respect points takes the cake. Games are therefore avg around between 80-90 minutes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/borderline/deal-america...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.