Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm officially tired of wondering what Tanga points will be good for. I have a fairly large stock of them and I've ordered a number of things from Tanga.

Apparently the folks at Tanga can't figure out what to do with them despite having months to decide.

So here's my suggestion.
Pick a number, say 10 Tanga points, then let us use those 10 points to pay fro shipping. If the thing's really heavy, ok make it 15 or 20.

But freakin' decide, will you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rokkr wrote:
Ok, I'm officially tired of wondering what Tanga points will be good for. I have a fairly large stock of them and I've ordered a number of things from Tanga.

Apparently the folks at Tanga can't figure out what to do with them despite having months to decide.

So here's my suggestion.
Pick a number, say 10 Tanga points, then let us use those 10 points to pay fro shipping. If the thing's really heavy, ok make it 15 or 20.

But freakin' decide, will you?

I stopped caring about the points when, after a full month of hype, encouraging us to collect points, they didn't even remotely have a plan for them. Sure it got me looking at the site, but it was a pretty insulting marketing ploy, not to mention lowering any opinion that I may have been forming of them. Stupid marketing decisions are a pet peeve of mine:
-Tanga Points
-Shipping Taledaga Nights with the PS3 to show off the visual quality of the Blue Ray (ummm.... Spider Man would probably have been a much better choice, they own it and even used the font from the movie on the surface of the damn thing)
-The Zune's hundreds of restrictions, including not working with Media Player 11 (ok, maybe not marketing, but it still seems boneheaded)

Possible Lost spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
-The writers for the first season of Lost openly admitting that they had no idea where they were going with anything. They may have since corrected that, but since they didn't care I have officially stopped caring. Nice job guys.

The list goes on, but those are at the front of my mind at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyman Hurd
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I echo these thoughts. For pity's sake, did they really have no plan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm indifferent. The fun's in the collecting anyway. If you're tired of waiting, just toss the whole thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually forgot all about Tanga points. I haven't done any puzzles since the site launched. I just stop by each morning to see if there's a good boargame for sale.

Keep the boardgames coming, Tanga!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, we gamers love to collect things, tanga points really pressed my collecting "buttons" for a while. I was "collecting" tanga points, hoping to make use of them.

I realize now that tanga isn't sure what they want to do with the whole concept, otherwise they would be adding to the hype.

I suggested to tanga joe that we tanga faithful should be allowed to spend the tanga points to have advance knowledge of the upcoming products (hopefully games!) that will be for sale. I also suggested that tanga points could be used to pre-purchace (ie. early bird purchace) items that we consider desirable. No comment from them on this...

examples:

10 tanga points for a week of advance notification (access to a list of upcoming items for a week)

10 tanga points to pre-purchace an item, say at 6PM perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since acquiring Tanga points my hair has regrown and I've acquired a new zest for life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re Tanga: I hear that you can send them in & get 10:1 for Heroclix points

Re Lost: I knew by the third episode that they had no idea where they were going. A Polar Bear & an invisible dinosaur? They put this crap on & axe Joan of Arcadia & Cop Rock?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to start a thread just like this. They really seem to have no plan regarding Tanga points - quite frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread on LOST that spun off of this has been moved to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1210667#1210667

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrote a terse letter to Tanga in this regard, and promptly quit solving puzzles when the response was a lame excuse and promise to be forthcoming with information.

That was over a month ago.

I don't miss Tanga at all. They said that I should enjoy doing the puzzles for the puzzles' sake. It was condescending, considering the fact that I had bought their line about doing the puzzles and being rewarded.

I felt like a mule who had been teased with a carrot and then taunted for chasing it.

You decide whether you think that Tanga has any concern for your interests... I have made my decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
This thread is evidence of the maxim, "There's no such thing as bad press". They got you hooked on the site with the puzzles and tantalized you with magic beans, and we're still talking about 'em!

I say BRAVO Tanga! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This kind of sounds like a lot of "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" No offense to anyone in particular, but the idea that someone would provide a form of entertainment in the form of daily puzzles PLUS pay you in some manner to partake in the entertainment is disappointing.

Tanga is just getting started and doesn't have all the kinks worked out. So what? They provide puzzles daily and great deals on all sorts of items. I'd do the puzzles whether they gave me points or not, and be happy for the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone needs something to whine about. If it weren't this, it'd be something equally frivolous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, Henry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TamiWhitsett wrote:
This kind of sounds like a lot of "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" No offense to anyone in particular,

As a prosimian who worked his way through graduate school dancing, I find this post offensive and have notified the moderators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I give thanks every day for the entertainment provided by edgy folks who don't care about stuff but care enough to post that they don't care.
The internet would be so much more boring without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy if I could get the one thing I bought from Tanga to work. This is my blog post from yesterday about the MP3 player I bought during the Tangathon:

Well, this was my first purchase from Tanga and may be my last.

The MP3 player arrived today and does not work. I spent a couple of hours on the phone with Philips trying to troubleshoot it. Since it is a refurb their records indicate it is out of warranty, although with a forwarded copy of the invoice they say they will give me instructions on how to get it replaced.

I'm not sure how that is going to work since my online confirmation just says "Philips 2GB MP3 player." I will send a link to this page so that hopefully they can confirm the model number, but I don't know how many more hoops I will have to jump through to get a working MP3 player, or if I ever will. Perhaps I will have gotten a literal "Tanga Trash" but paid $45 instead of $8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a return call from Philips with regard to the MP3 player I bought from tanga.com. They cannot exchange the defective unit because tanga.com is not an authorized seller of Philips products.

I have e-mailed Tanga about this and asked for either a new, working unit, or a full refund including shipping. If they want the defective unit back, I asked them to cover the shipping cost.

We'll see how they handle this.

I am also guessing that anything purchased on tanga.com does not come with any warranty, even if there is a warranty card in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why I don't buy electronic online. Tanga is better for boardgames than any electronic because it's a clearence closeout site. I doubt that they would ask for it back but you never know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TamiWhitsett wrote:
This kind of sounds like a lot of "Dance, Monkey, Dance!" No offense to anyone in particular, but the idea that someone would provide a form of entertainment in the form of daily puzzles PLUS pay you in some manner to partake in the entertainment is disappointing.

Tanga is just getting started and doesn't have all the kinks worked out. So what? They provide puzzles daily and great deals on all sorts of items. I'd do the puzzles whether they gave me points or not, and be happy for the effort.
I think the disappointment/complaints come from Tanga promising to reward efforts on the puzzles and that the points would actually mean something. The implication was that the reason for points would be revealed on opening day. Had they been clear that there wasn't a plan for and wouldn't be for quite a while for the points, people wouldn't have a complaint.

I've entered several film festivals over the years that promised "great prizes", only to find later that they hadn't actually planned for prizes, and no prizes were actually available. Sure, it was free to enter it, but the out right devious behavior to get my participation is what I think we all have an issue with here. I may have entered the festivals without the prize offerings, but I don't like being lied to. No one's complaining about the free puzzles (not anymore anyway), it's the implication that if we played there would be a reward, only to find that it was a marketing ploy with no intent of following up on it. I'm sorry, but I don't trust companies that pull this sort of thing.

The carrot and taunting of the mule analogy is a pretty good one in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prize was the joy of participating. Surprise! Everyone won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy from tanga sent me a number to call to arange for shipping and replacement of my MP3 player. It seems like I have to pay the return shipping so the deal isn't quite as good, but hopefully I'll have a working player soon. We'll see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanga Point Auctions Coming Soon!
Thursday December 07, 2006 at 5:52 PM by TangaMonkey

Coming soon in the following days will be our first Tanga Point Auction where you will be able to use your Tanga Points to win valuable prizes. More information will be posted soon including starting times/ending times of the auctions, how the auctions will work, and other information on how to secure more Tanga Points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auctions, eh...I should have guessed that. That means that a lot of points will be better than a few, so that means a reward factor. I guess it's all dependant on what may be up for bid. Some cigarette companies (Kool, Camel) were running similar auctions based on points that were entered in your account, from various promotional codes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.