Subject: A different take on Agincourt: One Mounted Charge... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With BattleLore arriving last night, we introduced ourselves to the basics of the game with the first "tutorial" battle, Agincourt: The English (made up of Light Bowmen and Standard Infantry, with one Heavy Infantry) facing off against the French (good mix of Calvary and Infantry with one Light Bowman).

However, history didn't repeat itself... at least, not in this scenario.

The fight started with the English Bowmen on the wings heading for the trees and firing at the French Calvary, while the French Calvary was scouting, attempting to find better cards and assemble some sort of line. The French weren't taking much damage, instead they were retreating a good bit, much to the annoyance of the French Commander.

However, the French's scouting and slow advance paid off, when a Mounted Charge was ordered and the French Calvary spurred into the English line. On the English's left wing, a French Heavy Calvary destroyed an entire Standard Infantry unit in one attack (5 die: 2 Blue, 2 Bonus Strikes, 1 Lore) and then pursued and nearly wiped out the English Heavy Infantry that was in the rear, forcing them to retreat (5 die: 2 Bonus Strikes, 3 Retreat Flags... one of which damaged the Heavy Infantry even more after they were backed to the edge of the battlefield).

Although the English forces attempted to rally by Darkening the Skies (killing the heavy calvary by forcing it to retreat when it couldn't), the French remained calm, using Blue Banners and Advance to push their infantry forward, slaughtering the English Bowmen and Infantry on the English flanks and winning the game 5-2 (yes, it says play to 4, but the French were a little overeager and wanted to see if they could get a 5th banner on the same attack, which they did).

The key of the game was, of course, the back to back rolls of one Heavy Calvary that killed 7 figures' worth of English. The game would have completely changed if the Infantry had a chance to battle back, which they would have done if they could have survived... in the least, it wouldn't have allowed the pursuit attack that the calvary received. There are no doubts the French would still have won if the game would have been to 6 (instead of 4).

The game didn't take long (about 75 minutes to unpack the box, set up and play, including several rule look-ups and clarifications during the game) and is a very good tutorial for those that have never played a C&C game before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It will be interesting to hear how the second game of Agincourt went. These things swing wildly depending on cards and dice.

You mentioned the English archers taking to the woods. Are there no stakes planted to their front? They ought to have some sort of Cover bonus in their original spaces; in fact, in the actualy battle the English longbowmen actually advanced and re-planted their stakes in order to bring the reluctant (or squabbling) French under fire, thus provoking the French assault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
in the actualy battle the English longbowmen actually advanced and re-planted their stakes in order to bring the reluctant (or squabbling) French under fire, thus provoking the French assault.

You are referring to the Battle of Agincourt that took place on our Earth.

The Battle of Agincourt scenerio in Battlelore is a recreation of the one that took place on Uchronia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

The Battle of Agincourt scenerio in Battlelore is a recreation of the one that took place on Uchronia.

Actually, I don't think Battlelore takes place on Uchronia, but rather in a medieval uchronia. The rumors that the Battlelore land was named Uchronia are erroneous. Take a peek at the last page of the "Battlelore Primer" (http://static.battlelore.com/lang/english/images/bl_primer.p...).

So, being an uchronia, comparisons to the real Battle of Agincourt are entirely valid.

edit: a uchronia? an uchronia? I dunno....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My mistake.

Although it did lead me to the question of 'what the heck is a uchronia?'.

Looked in the manual's glossary and it says:

"A What If or Alternate history. In our case, the history of Medival Europe as it might have been (or once was...)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Vasey
United States
Lincolnshire
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian - I played the Agincourt battle twice and the English took a real beating both times! Just for fun, I played a third game but evened-up the odds by giving the English a SPIDER (I couldn't resist it).
It turned into a blood-bath for the French! Miss Spider kept the French right flank stuck under web, which drew the French attention from the center, where the English infantry took a lot of ground and inflicted heavy losses. Awesome. I can't wait to play some more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was basing my interpretation on something I read early-on in the prepub releases promising several "historical" scenarios as introductions to the BL system without Fantasy elements.

I believe it was intended that these represent Earth-historical actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's something about that French Heavy Cavalry that is hard to overcome. My brother and I played Agincourt twice (switching sides for the second game, of course) and the French won both times behind the force of that darned heavy cavalry. In both games, the cavalry units battered and broke through the English lines, pursuing and making bonus attacks at 4 dice that shattered entire units. It was a massacre both times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.