Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend with an 18 year old son who spends most of his time video gaming. I think he mostly plays MMORPGs and shooters, but I'm told he used to like playing Risk with his family. His mom asked me for a boardgame recommendation that would hopefully get him out of his "cave" (her word) and back to the table with the family.

My game knowledge is focused on wargames, and most of those don't fit the bill. So far I've considered about Axis and Allies, but that may be too long, complex and "toy-like" for an 18 year old and his parents and 15 year old sister. Other thoughts were Shogun (will this be available before Xmas?) and Friedrich.

Or, maybe to get him and his family playing I should recommend Settlers of Catan or Pirate’s Cove?

Are there other games I should consider? Sorry I don’t have more information but I have never met the guy…

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    Memoir '44 would be a good starting choice. Games are quick, different scenarios, only need one other player to have a go at it. It will likely appeal to his first-person-shooter side but add a chance to brood a bit before making his move.

Given the empty slate you have to start with, I think that would be a good first choice.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there really aren't games with the label "Great for 18 year old boy and his parents and his sister". But here's what I can offer (albiet this is advice from a 26 year old devoted board gamer).

Memoir '44 makes a great father son game even at age 18. If the father and son both have an interest in WWII, this is a great game to break out after dinner for a quick play.

Blokus is a great game for the entire family. If the boy enjoys spatial thinking, he might really dig this. Most importantly, this is a really fun four player game that takes about 4 seconds to explain to new players. I'm not sure if he would love to recieve it as a Christmas present, but if you had a "family" copy of this game, you would probably be able to lure him out of his "cave".

Nexus Ops is really good, but I'm not sure how the family would like this one. It really shines with 3 or 4 players, however, this Risk-like game generally doesn't appeal to women. Dad and son might love it, but I think that Memoir '44 is a better two player game. Nexus Ops is something to keep in mind is there is a third player (or if either Mom or sis have an interest in Risk).

Descent or Doom are probably games he would really like, however, they are the least likely to appeal to the other memebers of the family. Descent plays a lot like dungeons found in many of todays MMORPGs and follows the architypes that are common with these games. Doom, obviously, follows the feel the FPS games. Both of these games are fairly heavy and require some time and effort. If he has already shown interst in playing fairly complex games and has friends over who share his interests, these might work. Otherwise, these will probably collect dust in his closet.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
    That Jason guy is really smart -- go with his first choice.

Sag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Siwanowicz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride would be a great game for everyone to enjoy. Settlers of Catan is also a good one. Sound like the kid might be too drawn into the world of video games though. I'd turn off his compy for a day and ask him if what he feels tells him something about how dependent he is on video games.

Brutal, but might be an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turning off his computer for a day is only a good option if your goal is to anger, frustrate, enrage, and/or push away the gamer. He'll just turn it back on and promptly refuse to ever play a board game with you again. Especially with a MMORPGer, that is most definitely not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
I have a friend with an 18 year old son who spends most of his time video gaming. I think he mostly plays MMORPGs and shooters, but I'm told he used to like playing Risk with his family.

My (much older :-) video-shooter-game playing, Risk-liking husband loved Doom: The Boardgame. It was the game that brought him over to the board game side. Plays just like the video game and you get cool minis too. I'm not sure the rest of the family will get it but I know the teen will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What MMO does he play and what aspect of it? It sounds like he's a war gamer but he might be more in favor of trading so a Euro might be up his alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
My (much older :-) video-shooter-game playing, Risk-liking husband loved Doom: The Boardgame. ... Plays just like the video game and you get cool minis too.

I can guarantee you it doesn't play just like the video game. That doesn't even make sense.

I'd like to try it out, though, if it really is that fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Werth
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Historically, Magic the Gathering was the only game to make a dent in the computer gaming market as a whole. Settlers then pulled people away from CCGs and into board games. So, I suggest Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 14 year old video gamer anti-boardgamer. If you find the answer let me know! I don't think buying a boardgame will do anything. That said, I got my son to sit down with me at Memoir 44 and he seemed to enjoy himself, though he's not running to play again. I think it was more of an act of pleasant tolerance than anything else.

I'm buying Arkham Horror this week. I hope the very strong thematic elements of the game might do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spoke with his mom and found out he plays WoW. Based on that (and this thread) I recommended:

Memior 44 (great choice, can't believe I didn't think of it)
WoW: The Boardgame
Doom: The Boardgame

Since he also likes history, she asked about a wargame so I recommened A Victory Lost as an outstanding place to start.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rodman
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am an avid video gamer (though I have recently begun to enjoy boardgames more) and though I am much older than your subject, I can relate or at least think back to a time when I could relate. My guess is that the boardgaming will never take, as his video game preferences (MMORPGs and online shooters) allow him to have very fast access to enjoyment with but seconds of down time, whereas boardgames often take time to set up and there is usually at least minutes of down time between turns.
Also, his games link him to hundreds of people with similar interests that he can explore a fantasy world with while boardgames link him with his family. Being 18, he probably feels like a different species in relation to his family. But maybe there is the strong bond of "family" that may overcome this.
As far as board games go, World of Warcraft simulates an mmorpg and would seem like a good choice, except that it may take too long and hold minimal interest for other family members. Doom, while it is themed after a shooter, really is a tactical strategy game with an rpg element and again, family regards will probably be less than positive.
I remember back a while when I was spending all my time playing video games and my friends introduced me to a little game called Robo Rally and it took me away from my electronic toys for quite a spell. This may be the game to solve your problems as it is fairly short, easy to learn, very social and has puzzle elements that can keep a video gamer interested. Also, i have played it with both sexes, the gamut of ages, and all have seemed to enjoy it.
I would highly reccommend you try Robo Rally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know of WoW players who love Euros so try anything. Settlers might work. My friend loves Puerto Rico and my other friend loves random games like Oasis, Puerto Rico, and I think Risk. Bottomline, try a wide variety and see if one will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you can find any (good luck. I've tried), the WoW CCG just came out and is, from what I read, a really fun game. An added benefit to the game is the upcoming Onyxia's Lair "raid deck" - basically a way for one person (you) to run the "instance" (enemy) while the other players group up cooperatively to try to take down the boss and get the unique treasure cards available in the raid deck.

Its expensive (and can lead to an addiction far worse than a MMORPG) but it might do the trick. A tactic you might want to try in this case is to tell them that you bought them the card game because you heard that you could get unique in game items with it and you thought of them then you play the "well I bought it let's at least try the game out" line.

*shrug* just a thought that might be worth pursuing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
I know of WoW players who love Euros so try anything. Settlers might work. My friend loves Puerto Rico and my other friend loves random games like Oasis, Puerto Rico, and I think Risk. Bottomline, try a wide variety and see if one will work.

I'm going to have to agree here. My first love (as far as hobbies go, that is, not to be compared with my wife) is still video games. However, I love board games as well and play a wide spectrum of them. Rather than try to categorize him as "an 18 year old video gamer" and try to fit that niche, it's honestly just a matter of finding what his interests are in terms of board gaming.

Why can't things just be simple, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKeck wrote:
it's honestly just a matter of finding what his interests are in terms of board gaming.

Why can't things just be simple, right?

laugh Ain't that the truth? I'm a young adult librarian and getting any type of informative feedback from a teen is like herding cats. You'd be better off working on the grand unification theory - at least then you wouldn't be wasting your time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'll give a thumbs-up to the World of Warcraft board game, BattleLore, and Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation. The first one is better for more than 2 players and the last two are great for 2 players.

I actually don't think that most video game fanatics would like Euros in general, but there are always exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Recommendation for an 18 year old male video gamer

Get a girlfriend ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always try FRAG, thats kind of fun and light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
His mom asked me for a boardgame recommendation that would hopefully get him out of his "cave" (her word) and back to the table with the family.

And what if he is in his cave to specifically avoid gaming at the table and the family?

Forcing a hobby on someone in place of something they enjoy is a real bad idea.

Perhaps instead, all of the family should sign up to MMORPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
I wouldn't recommend WoW the Boardgame. It really doesn't push the buttons of the WoW players that I know (including teenage boys). War of the Ring may be a good one if he is into fantasy and the mother can figure out the rules.

I would recommend the mother get another computer and WoW account and try interacting with her son that way. Ha, imagine that in the middle of an instance. "No heals for you unless you have tidied your room"

Just be thankfull he is not out on the street robbing old grannies, sniffing glue, smoking crack and knocking up girls!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree.

I have three sons in their teens and pre-teens. I loved video games as well in my day. And, I was there at midnight when Halo 2 came out. But, video games, as fun as they are, are a colossal waste of time. I don't care what my son chooses so long he gets passionate about something(!) and invest himself. Video games is not at all better than wasting away endless hours watching TV.

I think an excellent analogy is junk food. I love a cheeseburger and a Coke. But it is empty calories providing next to no nutiriotnal value for the many calories consumed. TV and video games are games are identical.

Yes, i would love it if my son would join me in my world of boardgaming. But, I would be happy if he chose anything: chess, reading, the school play, Mechano, a band, weight training, whatever. Don't get me wrong, I just bought xBox 360 for the boys. But, there is a significant qualitative difference between spending a few fun filled hours blasting aliens and wasting away an entire youth.

So, with respect to me joining my son playing video games so that we can interact--no. I am the parent and do the parenting, not the other way around. I have the knowledge and experience, not him. It is not for me to lower the standards of the world. It is for me to encourage and motivate my son to excel and move up to the higher standards. As such, our standards go well beyond not street robbing and sniffing glue. That my son does not do these things is not cause for me to be happy, it is demanded and expected basic behaviour well beyond current discussion.

I don't think the original issue in this thread is video games per se. What was expressed is the common feeling and wish of a parent of an adolescent to socially interact in a positive way with the family as opposed to a self-imposed internal exile based on total and continual escapism into video games. Are these precisely not the kids who end up with swastikas on their notebooks and parents who plead they "had no idea".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
I have to disagree.

I don't think the original issue in this thread is video games per se. What was expressed is the common feeling and wish of a parent of an adolescent to socially interact in a positive way with the family as opposed to a self-imposed internal exile based on total and continual escapism into video games. Are these precisely not the kids who end up with swastikas on their notebooks and parents who plead they "had no idea".

That was pretty insulting to those of us who are passionate about video games. Oh well.

Back on topic, a while back I tried discussing boardgaming over on the video game forum I frequent, with a pretty positive result. I seem to recall that a lot of the guys took well to games like Munchkin, Killer Bunnies, etc. While I happen to find such games to be mostly drivel, they might be worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Collins
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video gamers like instant gratification, they do not like to wait for their turn. I think you need to find games where they are always participating no matter whose turn it is, or games with very little down time. I would guess this is party why Puerto rice is so popular. You participate in everybody's turn.

You can also try negotiation or trading games like Bohnanza. Perhaps a game like category 5 or turn the tide where everyone play simultaneously. I would also suggest Ticket to Ride as it has very quick turns, and you do not have to wait long for your turn to come around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.