Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two questions for people who might participate in the Papagra contest (see here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/137066 ).

1. A couple of students have lamented the fact that I announced the contest just before their finals periods. I have considered pushing the deadline back two weeks or a month to better accomodate them (which also gives me extra time to further increase the prize purse). Does anyone object to this idea or otherwise contest its wisdom?

2. Having played Papagra ~150 times, I have developed a number of tactical/strategic ideas myself. I was thinking of posting them as a kind of starter guide for those participating in the contest. This would help improve the quality of the contest entries (an important goal for me), because players won't be starting from nothing. On the other hand, part of the fun is discovering things for oneself, so such a guide might not be welcome. How do you feel about the idea?

thanks,
nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm one of those people with final exams in December, I'm obviously interested in the possibility of extending the deadline, but I understand if you don't want to change it now, and will still try to submit an entry.

I'd be interested in reading a start startegy guide if you create such a thing.

One last suggestion: Now that the pot of geekgold has grown so large, I think it might be a cool to split up the prive among the top three entries (assuming there are enough quality submissions). Something like: 60% of the prize pool to 1st place, 30% to 2nd place, and 10% to 3rd place. Just a thought

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it might be nice to split up the prize, but two things I feel prevent it at this point. In the original contest guidelines, I promised that I would give all my gg to the winner. changing the contest deadline is one thing, changing the prize after it has been promised may be another. Second, I won't know how many entries I'm going to get until right at the deadline. What I'll probably do is provide additional, non-gg prizes for second, third place, etc, if there are enough entrants. For example, I have two copies of dvonn, and I could use one as a second place prize. However, the size of these other prizes, if I do award them, should depend both on the number of entries and on the size of the grand prize, both of which I won't fully know until much later. So the runner up prizes will remain up in the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.