Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Eminent Domain: Microcosm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Loving it but would like a couple of clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janolen Alther
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi
Played a few games of this and absolutely love it . The gameplay is excellent as is the replayability. Although I probably won't be looking to be playing this back to back more than 3 or 4 times in a session. Im sure there will be many sessions.( Especially after we managed a great game of it in Zizzi’s while waiting for starters and they have good service )
While I don't have a huge issue with the rules pamphlet I was hoping to get some clarifications on a few things to make sure we’re playing it as intended.

1. When you gain a tech card it immediately goes on the table face up in front of you by your colonies, not into your hand?
This is how we currently play it
Just seen this one has already been answered

2. Do you need to reveal a colony symbol to colonise a 0 cost world?
We currently reveal one.

3. Whenever you interact with the planet “stacks” you can only peak, attack, colonise the top card?
This is how we currently play it

4. Do you gain a planet's symbol even if it's already revealed in front of you?
We play that you only gain the symbol once when you reveal it.

5. The Card Political Party allows you to pick up and play 1 card from your discard pile. Does it remain in play so that if I pick the colonise card with the colonise symbol on it I now have two, one being the one on Political Party and the one from from the Colonise card itself
This is how we play it
And another one, whoops been playing this one wrong

Many thanks to Seth Jaffee for two excellent card games that see a fair bit of table time. Eminent Domain and Microcosm, going to be a long wait for Exotica
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
2: No, you just need to play a colonize card.
3: The stacks are for convenience/organization, the cards could be spread around in a circle or put in a pile. You can interact with any applicable card.
4: You can reveal a card that's already face-up (Tech, for instance, is always face-up).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy already answered these, but I thought I'd elaborate and answer also, for the heck of it
janolen wrote:
1. When you gain a tech card it immediately goes on the table face up in front of you by your colonies, not into your hand?
This is how we currently play it
Just seen this one has already been answered

Indeed, as you've seen, tech cards never go into your hand in this game, they are just there. Either they're int he center (belonging to nobody), or in front of one of the players.

Quote:
2. Do you need to reveal a colony symbol to colonise a 0 cost world?
We currently reveal one.

Per the Colonize card, in order to colonize a 0 cost planet you must reveal 0 Colonize icons.

Quote:
3. Whenever you interact with the planet “stacks” you can only peak, attack, colonise the top card?
This is how we currently play it

You can pick any card in the appropriate stacks. the tech cards in Eminent Domain work this same way - it's why I call them "stacks" and not "decks" ("deck" might more strongly imply that that the cards are in an order). But people often ask this - as Andy said, the cards are placed in stacks for convenience - you can access any card in the stack.

Quote:
4. Do you gain a planet's symbol even if it's already revealed in front of you?
We play that you only gain the symbol once when you reveal it.

Yes, the rules specifically say what you can reveal (and that includes tech cards, face up colonies, and cards from your hand).

The rules fail to make clear that you may "reveal" the card you are currently playing, if it bears the correct icon.

Quote:
5. The Card Political Party allows you to pick up and play 1 card from your discard pile. Does it remain in play so that if I pick the colonise card with the colonise symbol on it I now have two, one being the one on Political Party and the one from from the Colonise card itself
This is how we play it
And another one, whoops been playing this one wrong

Nope, only the card you're currently playing. Sorry!

in retrospect, I wich I'd swapped the icons around so that Politial Party had a Capital - that way this question would not come up! Oh well :/

Quote:
Many thanks to Seth Jaffee for two excellent card games that see a fair bit of table time. Eminent Domain and Microcosm, going to be a long wait for Exotica

You're welcome! And thanks for paying them and letting me know how much you enjoy them!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janolen Alther
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to you both.

It's going to make the next game of this very interesting
Espically to see how different it is with using the planets like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

Quote:
3. Whenever you interact with the planet “stacks” you can only peak, attack, colonise the top card?
This is how we currently play it

You can pick any card in the appropriate stacks. the tech cards in Eminent Domain work this same way - it's why I call them "stacks" and not "decks" ("deck" might more strongly imply that that the cards are in an order). But people often ask this - as Andy said, the cards are placed in stacks for convenience - you can access any card in the stack.


The big difference to Eminent Domain here is that the order actually matters.
In Eminent Domain, you always have the same cards, and the order never matters.
Here, you have to make sure that the second player peeping at a planet does _not_ change the order in any way, otherwise the first player would lose the information he received.

Funnily, coming from a computer background, "stack" to me suggests order even more than "deck". The most fitting word _not_ implying order would be "pile" in my opinion, although many games have a "discard pile" where order matters.

Anyway, this is something that is totally non-obvious using only the rules sheet and should be clarified in the expected expanded rules sheet.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A W
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Abyss GREEN Cover Art
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ashman wrote:
[q="sedjtroll"]
Funnily, coming from a computer background, "stack" to me suggests order even more than "deck".


Didn't realize it but you're right! Interesting that in a computer world it is part of the jargon.

In a gambler con artist setting a "stacked" deck would mean it's setup (after the gambler persumably does a false shuffle of some sort) in a very specific order to ensure that he would receive the exact cards he wanted and it would be the strongest hand at the table.

In a game of poker the gambler would set himself/herself up for a Royal Flush for example.

Rules are so difficult to write.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.