Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been a vocal critic of The Compleat Strategist in Falls Church, Virginia for a while now. I was always put off with the unfriendly atmosphere and the simplest requests being met with scorn and an "I'm-doing-you-a-favor" attitude.

Well, I'm happy to say that things are really turning around at the store. There is a new manager and I've also met several new employees. They are friendly, knowledgeable and seem to really be interested in gaming. The manager also seems very open to suggestions for improving the store and it sounds like they may finally improve their weekend hours.

The past few times I've visited, the folks behind the counter have always been eager to talk about games and seem to want to try to encourage more open gaming. This is great news and I hope that things continue to improve.

If you haven't been to TCS in a while, you might want to stop in and say Hi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Putting the F back into FLGS at The Compleat Strategist-
I ordered a couple things from them recently that were "In Stock" but you see they weren't really in stock as they ordered them from their distributor and make me wait a week before they shipped them. Ok now if I want to order a drop-ship mattress I'll order one. People get upset when your unable to order a particular item due to it being out of stock but trust me it's worse than saying it is in stock and in reality being out of stock. Needless to say I won't be a repeat customer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, if you're having problems with other branches of the company, I'm sorry. However, this thread was an attempt to give pats on the back for something positive that's happening at the Falls Church store, a store that has had a real customer relations problem for a while. While I can't speak to their online operations (which is what it sounds like you're talking about), I can speak about this specific branch.

Myself, I'm thrilled to that this is happening. Before, I had to drive out to Chantilly (a real hike) to the Game Parlour for FLGS goodness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kerr
United States
arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

I second Kevin on this one. For years I've been _wanting_ to spend money at the CS in Falls Church, but every time I would go there the experience would end up being very unpleasant. The previous management always seemed to almost go out of their way to make me unwanted in various different ways.

Last week I decided to try the store again and met the new manager and she was just great. I had called to inquire about a copy of Leonardo Da Vinci and she checked to see if it was in stock and then held a copy for me at the front desk. When I showed up to purchase it, she was friendly and knowledgable. It was the first time I left the store thinking that I wanted to give them more of my business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Monson
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
For over 40 years I've been enjoying gaming with great people.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,

I used to go to the Fall Church store back in 80's. It was one of the few game stores left in the area, but then I went to college and kinda forgot about them. Late in 90s I went back and thought what the store had become a "dump", shelves were mixed up and the guy at the register was .... forget it.

Well anyway, I thought that my mind had put a "rosey color" on those memories. Now it seems as if the store really had sunk and lost alot of its "luster".

Good luck to them, I always like to see a game store make it. I may have to stop by and check it out, is it still on Route 7 in the red brick bulding?

Now I live near the Chantily Game Parlor and usually go there for my "fix".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goewert
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to see any store turn things around. Kudos to them.

My neck of the woods has gotten really smarmy as of late and I wish a few of the other FLGS's here would turn themselves around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shepherd
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Be on your guard. There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin, I have to agree. I usually go to the Game Parlor in Chantilly because its much closer to me. But I was dating a woman in Falls Church and would sometimes frequent TCS. It was so bad that my girlfriend would just wait in the car while I browsed.

I don't get around there too much anymore, but the last time I was in there it was literally and figuratively a breath of fresh air. That store has come a LONG WAY in the past 10 or 12 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because my memory is fading, was this store around back in '87-91? I lived on Fort Myer, and there was a mall fairly close by (Not Ballston on the red line(?)) that had a really nice game store (back then). I picked up Abalone, Supremacy and expansions, Rail Baron, March Madness, etc. from them.

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.