Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2728438#it...

Conclusion:

Horus Heresy is a big coffin boxed FFG game that is just amazing to look at. This game is a work of art. The minis are fantastic, the art is amazing, the quality of the components is mind blowing, and the game play is good (not great). This is a game with a tough learning curve. It is complicated. The game is also scenario based so you can have a lot of replay, but it may add something to the complexity of the game.

It would be dishonest of me to not mention the length of the game. This is a long game. It is the longest two player game I've ever played (yes, longer than War of the Ring). I'm estimating you are looking at 4-6 hours depending on your game, decisions, and how quick you play. This is going to turn some people off and a fewer number will be happy to have such a meaty game to play. The game also has a very long set up time. It takes forever to set this game up. I would recommend having one player set the game up before the 2nd player shows up (I do this a lot when people come over to play).

The components are great, but the minis are not painted and I had such a hard time telling the difference between the different people. This is a great time for me to admit I have never played Warhammer and I don't know anything about the universe. I liked the game despite this fact, but it made a few things hard to play (like being able to tell the difference between the minis). This was a problem for me.

If you put the time into the game and get past the learning curve, there is a fun two player experience. In my collection, this game compares to War of the Ring. I like War of the Ring better. I do know that universe better and that might have something to do with me liking it more. This game is also longer in my opinion (but I don't know if it is longer by much).

This game is going to take up a lot of space on your game shelf. It is going to take a long time to play. This is going to be a niche gaming experience. The Warhammer universe may turn off some gamers, but some gamers will eat it up. I would recommend both players reading the book before sitting down to play. A great experience. This isn't the best of the FFG coffin box series. It is a good, but not great game. It didn't get the support of some of FFG games, so I assume it didn't sell as well. It is old enough now that I wouldn't expect an expansion.

Keeper.

Components:

Wood/plastic: This is a classic FFG production. There are a ton of of chits and tokens flying around this game. They are all very thick, with great art, and very easy to read and use. As with most, if not all FFG, wood and plastic, they are fantastic. We get a ton of minis and a few stand ups for the individual characters. The minis look great and they are more of an army style. All of the leaders are stand ups (not like Space Hulk).

I did have a couple of complaints. The minis are not painted. This is a huge let down on a game that looks so great. It is also hard to tell the minis apart. For most of the game, I had to ask my opponent which is what (I've never played Warhammer).

Cards: There are a few different decks of cards in the game. They are all full sized with different art work on the back. The cards are great quality and shuffle well. These are great and I don't have any complaints. The font is big enough and I didn't have any problems figuring out what to do with the cards.

Art: The art is wonderful. It is all from the Warhammer universe. This some of the best art I've ever seen in a game. Everything is unique and fits the theme. From the second you see the box art and until you shuffle through the cards, your eyes will be amazed by the art in this game. Great job!

Board: The board is a work of art. It is made up of different areas, but there are 3D mountains that are placed on the board (think Rune Wars). It gives the board this amazing 3D look that really brings the game (and theme!) alive. Fantastic job and one of the best I've seen.

Type of money/vp: N/A

Final Grade: This is a classic FFG coffin box filled with wonderful components. This game is amazing to look at on the table and will draw people to play it with just the looks. It is amazing to look at. I highly recommend looking at the photos on BGG just to see what is in this game box.

Rule Book:

Color/B/W: Color

Pictures of components: Yes, there are quite a few pages to show all of the components

Picture of game set up: Yes, but for each scenario

Pictures included: Yes, lots and lots of pictures

Example of playing the game: While not a turn by turn example, there are a ton of examples throughout the rule book.

How long to read the book: 1.5 - 2 hours

Player Aid: The back of the rules has a player aid (round reference, FAQ, Battle reference) and nearly everything is printed on the board. Yet, you will refer to the rule book a lot your first few plays. This is a big game with a lot of rules.

The rules are complicated. There are a ton of rules. This is a FFG rule book and it is a FFG rule book back when they made these huge games. It is complicated. It isn't as hard or daunting as it seems, but it is more than some will be complicated with. The rules do an okay job explaining the game. It is the sort of game you will want to be taught with a patient teacher. Even so, FFG books have a bad reputation, but I've never had a problem with them. After you read a couple of FFG books they are easier to digest. It's just a large game with a lot going on.

Flow of the Game:

I am not going to even attempt to explain all the rules in this game. The book is 44 pages long and there are additional rules in the Scenario Guide.

Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game will change depending on the Scenario you are using for this gaming session. There are six scenarioes included in the book.

How it plays:

1. Action Step - take possible actions

a. place an order - play an order card from hand on to the board (cost 1 IP)
b. execute order from map - choose an order card on the board and perform it (cost 1 IP)
c. execute order from hand - (cost 0-3 IP)
d. bury an order - choose an order stack on the board and put top card on the bottom (1 IP)
e. draw an order (1 IP)

2. Advance Initiative marker - This is a major part of the game. There is track that you moving down based on your actions. It will have events that occur and other things. Your marker will move depending on which action you chose.

3. Change initiative (if applicable) - inititative is given to the player whose marker is closest to the start

4. Resolved special phase -If a special phase is hit on the initiative track (some of the spots has a special phase) it occurs

a. event - draws event card and do it
b. draw orders phase - you may discard order cards and draw new ones
c. refresh - remove all activation tokens from the board

How it plays:

Players will move their markers down the intitiative track based on which action they chose. The actions available are normally to play a card or execute a card. You will have people on the board that you will be moving around and fighting with. There are a lot of rules about movement and battles, but I'm trying to keep this simple.

Battle:

1. A target area is chosen by the attacker
2. Engaging units: choose which units are involved
3. Prepare to fight: Each player gets a number of combat cards based on their combat value
4. Combat rounds: you will take turns playing combat cards and doing damage; cards have a attack value and a special effect; the special effect is only used if you match the required type of unit
5. End of battle: this ends if all units of one side are killed, run out of combat cards, or combat iterations are fought

-----------------------------------------------------------------

There is a ton more detail to this game. I've tried to give you an overview of the game. I've likely failed as this game is just too big. There are heroes on the board, defense bonuses, etc. There is a lot more to do. The main mechanic is these cards are played to the table, of which your opponent can screw with the order, that you execute to do the things you want to do. It is sort of like you program the area, but it doesn't happen exactly when you want it to happen always (yet, at times it does). You have to plan this out or wait for it to happen. The battles are time consuming and there is a lot going on. I've given you an overview of these combat cards, but there is much more going on.

Should I buy this game?:

This is a very long 2 player game that is complicated. It is going to fill a niche gamer. I would say a fan of Warhammer 40K may want to give this a try. People who have another player to play a long game that might take hours to play. The length of the game is going to eliminate a lot fo prospective gamers. Warhammer fans may want to just play the miniture game. This is an odd game to recommend to people. You have to like large, complicated, big, long FFG style coffin boxed games. Not for non-gamers, casual gamers, and anyone who wants a game done in less than a couple of hours. Euro gamers need not apply.

Keeper.

*The images posted with this review are not mine and are images I found on BGG. If you click on the image, you can see who posted it to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 689 Horus Heresy: A 2 player board game experience with Warhammer 40K from a guy who doesn't know what Warhammer 40K is
william4192 wrote:
It is going to fill a niche gamer.

Crickey. That's gotta hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The Purge: # 689 Horus Heresy: A 2 player board game experience with Warhammer 40K from a guy who doesn't know what Warhammer 40K is
william4192 wrote:
Goal of the Game:

The goal of the game will change depending on the Scenario you are using for this gaming session. There are six scenarioes included in the book.

I don't think the goal changes between the Scenarios, it's always get 4 Spaceports, kill Emperor/Horus or Holdout (for Imperials). Scenarios change the setup, Event decks and add some special rules (destroyed locations, etc.).

Quote:
This is a very long 2 player game that is complicated. It is going to fill a niche gamer. I would say a fan of Warhammer 40K may want to give this a try. People who have another player to play a long game that might take hours to play. The length of the game is going to eliminate a lot fo prospective gamers. Warhammer fans may want to just play the miniture game. This is an odd game to recommend to people. You have to like large, complicated, big, long FFG style coffin boxed games. Not for non-gamers, casual gamers, and anyone who wants a game done in less than a couple of hours. Euro gamers need not apply.

What sort of playing time are you clocking with War of the Ring? I know my first play of WotR teaching my friend (having done a solo run to learn the rules) came in under 3 hours, second game and all after 2 hours or less always. HH takes 2 hours if it reaches toward the end of the Initiative Track, 60 min (or even under) if you can win when the Spaceport Victory possible space is reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Hobday
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the post above. War Of The Ring usually takes me about 3 hours. Horus Heresy about 2 hours. Both are great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to play Horus Heresy and it was long and complicated and I couldn't tell the small figures apart from one another.

I am not a fan of 40k and have done very little tabletop minatures war-gaming.

There was not much there for me or the guy I was playing it with and I am the biggest Ameritrash fan in the tri-state area.

I think we gave up about 3 hours into it .... I'd say we were about
halfway through the game.

I did not like anything about it.

I am not sure why you would go Keeper on this one. It is one of the few coffin-box games I do not own and never have the slightest urge to.

This is definitely for a niche group. People who want to play a 4 or 5 hour long 2 player game with tons of components, some of which are tiny and hard to tell apart, in the 40k universe.

For me this was an easy PURGE. I'd 10X rather play War of the Ring than this

Do you really plan to play this again?

edit: It looked like it was going to hit the 5 or 6 hour mark for us, what with punching the game, setting it up, learning the rules, and struggling to identify the units as we learned how to play, knowing almost nothing about 40k to help us along. Maybe you could get this down to 3 hours if you both already were familiar with the game and it was already set up ... who knows ... never going to find out ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Yeah, I think Id want to be IN a coffin after that...

To the OP, great write up.

I agree its a rather long game.
But being a 40k fan, its right up my alley.
I do agree though, it is going to be very niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Donovan
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
There was not much there for me or the guy I was playing it with and I am the biggest Ameritrash fan in the tri-state area.

It's really more of a wargame, despite the Chinese plastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Horus Heresy has a couple of really neat things going for it and a bunch of chrome that is seriously just for 40k fans. Since you can't know what combat cards you are going to draw before going into a fight you really don't know if you should bring the cultists or the infantry or both. So in the end it really doesn't matter except during combat.

Now telling apart the differences of the various leaders and marines they go with was a bit tricky. And that board is pretty to look at, but annoying as hell to stack things in. It's unfortunate that people were taking so long in their first game, I think mine went pretty briskly. I don't think I've ever seen it come down to the end for the imperial win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish FFG had chosen to include "Battle for Armageddon" with "Horus Heresy." Many of the pieces could have been used in both games (on the Imperial side) and BfA would have made a good intro to the combat mechanics, at least, and a "quick game" alternative to BfA.

Hope that this might appear as an expansion has evaporated, as "HH" seems to have been pushed to the side like a crashed dropship.

As an alternative perspective to the OP's review, I haven't had any trouble distinguishing unit types, but then I'm an old bits puppy and small game pieces appeal to me generally. I can imagine my wife saying this, though (but then she won't play wargames).

I will hold onto mine; it's too cool-looking to give up. Three-dimensional planet-surface installations and troops. Just too cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to get this every Christmas when FFG puts it on super-sale for $29. Looks like it'll take forever and I'll probably never find someone to play it with, but there are a lot of cool-looking bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
I'm tempted to get this every Christmas when FFG puts it on super-sale for $29. Looks like it'll take forever and I'll probably never find someone to play it with, but there are a lot of cool-looking bits.

You could do far worse.

If nothing else some of the figures can be used in epic 40k.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I`m a former fan of WH40K and my friend (current fan of WH40K ) bought this game. He really likes it, I think that it`s ok.

I have only one complaint about the FFG edition and I wonder how other people deal with the issue that I`ve found unconvenient. It is true that minis are nice... but how you guys and gals fit sometimes all the minis in one particular area?

Maybe it`s how me and my friend played this game, but we usually ended up with several areas "overflowing" with minis... not to mention situations when enemies advanced into combat

Do those piles of miniatures bunching up bother you? Is it a something that I should take for granted in games like Horus Heresy? It is a gorgeous game to look at... but those crowds...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I do in that case in the same thing I learned back in high school with risk.

Get a bag of scrabble letter tiles.
Use one piece on the board as your general with a letter tile.
The rest of the army is set off to the side with the matching letter tile.

NNo worry about bunching up, or of moving 40 pieces at one time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
william4192 wrote:

Just glad it wasn't me whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this a couple of times. It took us 4-6 hours to play. This included set up and learning the game (and checking the book over and over). Maybe over time it will get lower.

Dam the Man wrote:
william4192 wrote:
Goal of the Game:

I don't think the goal changes between the Scenarios, it's always get 4 Spaceports, kill Emperor/Horus or Holdout (for Imperials). Scenarios change the setup, Event decks and add some special rules (destroyed locations, etc.).

Quote:

What sort of playing time are you clocking with War of the Ring? I know my first play of WotR teaching my friend (having done a solo run to learn the rules) came in under 3 hours, second game and all after 2 hours or less always. HH takes 2 hours if it reaches toward the end of the Initiative Track, 60 min (or even under) if you can win when the Spaceport Victory possible space is reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same experience with the minis all looking the same.

I had fun with it though. And I want to give it at least two more plays.

glookose wrote:
I tried to play Horus Heresy and it was long and complicated and I couldn't tell the small figures apart from one another.

I am not a fan of 40k and have done very little tabletop minatures war-gaming.

I think we gave up about 3 hours into it .... I'd say we were about
halfway through the game.

I did not like anything about it.

I am not sure why you would go Keeper on this one. It is one of the few coffin-box games I do not own and never have the slightest urge to.

This is definitely for a niche group. People who want to play a 4 or 5 hour long 2 player game with tons of components, some of which are tiny and hard to tell apart, in the 40k universe.

For me this was an easy PURGE. I'd 10X rather play War of the Ring than this

Do you really plan to play this again?

edit: It looked like it was going to hit the 5 or 6 hour mark for us, what with punching the game, setting it up, learning the rules, and struggling to identify the units as we learned how to play, knowing almost nothing about 40k to help us along. Maybe you could get this down to 3 hours if you both already were familiar with the game and it was already set up ... who knows ... never going to find out ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:

Worth 29 bucks. take the plunge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RyTo wrote:
I`m a former fan of WH40K and my friend (current fan of WH40K ) bought this game. He really likes it, I think that it`s ok.

I have only one complaint about the FFG edition and I wonder how other people deal with the issue that I`ve found unconvenient. It is true that minis are nice... but how you guys and gals fit sometimes all the minis in one particular area?

Maybe it`s how me and my friend played this game, but we usually ended up with several areas "overflowing" with minis... not to mention situations when enemies advanced into combat

Do those piles of miniatures bunching up bother you? Is it a something that I should take for granted in games like Horus Heresy? It is a gorgeous game to look at... but those crowds...

I just deal or set them aside and rememember where they go. this doesn't bother me too much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
william4192 wrote:

The dollars-per-mini price gets much more attractive. Like I need more flippin' Space Marines...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bird94us wrote:
william4192 wrote:

The dollars-per-mini price gets much more attractive. Like I need more flippin' Space Marines...

Good luck with that now! Looks like it's been dropped by FFG - it's no longer on their site. I think you missed the closeout sale.

If you're still interested, you might consider getting it soon before it "Space Hulks" up to 300 bucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hehe, that's ok. I'll check again around Christmas and see if it's back on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Potentially longer than War of the Ring? I think that kills it for me right there. I just played War of the Ring over the weekend, and while i loved it, it took us around 4 hours as we were both a turn away from winning at the end. As great as it was, I can't see myself wanting to play that more than once a year... so this would probably be right out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
TyDeL wrote:
Potentially longer than War of the Ring? I think that kills it for me right there. I just played War of the Ring over the weekend, and while i loved it, it took us around 4 hours as we were both a turn away from winning at the end. As great as it was, I can't see myself wanting to play that more than once a year... so this would probably be right out.

Not just potentially. Longest I played WotR was 4 hours, like you. The one time we played Horus Heresy it took us 8 hours. It's a pretty damn good game, but mentally exhausting. It's kind of difficult to arrange a play of it because of that. That's why I haven't played it since then, like 2 years ago, again, although I definitely want to play it again some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys really take your time with games, don't you? Even my teaching game of WotR came in under 3 hours, every game after clocking in that 2 hours or less. HH in my experience is a quicker game (for us), anywhere from 45-90 minutes, 2 hours maybe if it goes all the way to Holdout at the end of the Initiative Track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Slovakia
flag msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
HH in my experience is a quicker game (for us), anywhere from 45-90 minutes, 2 hours maybe if it goes all the way to Holdout at the end of the Initiative Track.

Yeah, no. Unless you really know the game back to front, upside down, or whatever other direction people prefer and played it several times already, that's not going to happen.
WotR around 2 hours is reasonable, but HH? Nope. Not even close. Especially the first game when both players play it the first time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.