Carson City: Big Box» Forums » General

Subject: Wooden Components: Are they useful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! I'm someone who has never played Carson City and only has a basic grasp on the rules from various review videos. I was wondering about the wooden components that could unlock if the current kickstarter gets big:

Will they replace the cardboard locations effectively? It seems like the cardboard has a lot of number and symbol stuff going on... is it one of those things where you can memorize the worth of the buildings and then use wooden components?

Just a newb who is a little lost! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
BrotherDusk wrote:
Hello! I'm someone who has never played Carson City and only has a basic grasp on the rules from various review videos. I was wondering about the wooden components that could unlock if the current kickstarter gets big:

Will they replace the cardboard locations effectively? It seems like the cardboard has a lot of number and symbol stuff going on... is it one of those things where you can memorize the worth of the buildings and then use wooden components?

Just a newb who is a little lost! Thanks!

The wooden components replace mountains and houses (maybe other stuff, I can't remember) which have no numbers to worry about-- they affect the things around them. And little guns. Those are cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm actually bummed they are replacing the artwork with generic wood bits. Much prefer the 2-D work of Roche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are not replacing the cardboard... you'll have both things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Muse23PT wrote:

Just noticed this in the updated FAQ. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R3DSH1FT wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Yes, originally the idea was to replace them, but with me and other players voicing concerns about it, we were told that the designer also considered it a bad idea, so now they will offer both. So you'll get the best of both worlds.

Technically I don't see why anyone would want to use wooden houses when every other building is not wooden. It messes up visual iconography and how plots under houses look visually. I would not even use them with mountains, though maybe I'll put the mountain on top of the mountain tile for added effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan F T
Colombia
Bogota
DC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wood houses and.mountains will look great on top of the original tiles...

What bothers me is that in the 1st expansion you get Town houses, and they are not creating a.wooden piece for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hav0k wrote:
I think the wood houses and.mountains will look great on top of the original tiles...

What bothers me is that in the 1st expansion you get Town houses, and they are not creating a.wooden piece for that.

I suppose you could stand them on end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CAESAR
Sweden
Tenhult
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cinderbike wrote:
Hav0k wrote:

I suppose you could stand them on end.

This is from Paul Mulders in the comments section on the KS: "you place 2 wooden houses instead of 1 on a townhouse space"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
Slashdoctor wrote:
R3DSH1FT wrote:
Muse23PT wrote:

Yes, originally the idea was to replace them, but with me and other players voicing concerns about it, we were told that the designer also considered it a bad idea, so now they will offer both. So you'll get the best of both worlds.

Technically I don't see why anyone would want to use wooden houses when every other building is not wooden. It messes up visual iconography and how plots under houses look visually. I would not even use them with mountains, though maybe I'll put the mountain on top of the mountain tile for added effect.

Simple solution - purchase Terra mystica and use the appropriate color house on top of the tiles! You'd have the cardboard token and a wood bit on top of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.