8 Posts

Zombicide Season 3: Rue Morgue» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing with fewer survivors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hafiz Soubihe
msg tools
Hello there.

I like RPG games and the idea of controlling more than 1 character annoys me, so since all missions in the Rue Morgue rulebook are for 6 survivors, how would you balance the game if playing with fewer survivors?

Since we roll 4 dice for spawn for a 6-survivor game, I thought of this:

1-2 survivors = 2 dice
3-4 survivors = 3 dice
5-6 survivors = 4 dice
7-8 survivors = 5 dice
and so on.

Has anyone tried this? Would it work? What else would you change?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doughty
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
...are better than one.
badge
Isaiah 41
mbmbmbmbmb
Hafinha wrote:
Hello there.

I like RPG games and the idea of controlling more than 1 character annoys me, so since all missions in the Rue Morgue rulebook are for 6 survivors, how would you balance the game if playing with fewer survivors?

1-2 survivors = 2 dice
3-4 survivors = 3 dice
5-6 survivors = 4 dice
7-8 survivors = 5 dice
and so on.

Has anyone tried this? Would it work? What else would you change?

Thanks!

I haven't tried it like you say, but I did create a mission where you start with 4 and you rescue 4 more and add them to your roster. By the end of the game you are controlling 8 though and that doesn't exactly solve your dilemma. ha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do it all the time and so far, it works great. I play zombicide with my two daughters and prefer one character each. The spawn dice is one of the best things in rue morgue. It handles balance and creates randomness. So good I'm using it in old missions as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I use it the same way. Fits the pattern.

Works out well because I always play solitaire and I don't like to manage for than four survivors at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hafinha wrote:

1-2 survivors = 2 dice
3-4 survivors = 3 dice
5-6 survivors = 4 dice
7-8 survivors = 5 dice
and so on.

There are lots of ways to adjust difficulty. Traditionally, for more survivors, you'd add more spawn points, and for fewer, you could reduce the number. RM adds the new dice roll rule for spawning, so adjusting the number of dice also works. Try a variety of things and see what works best for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
The spawn dice is one of the best things in rue morgue. It handles balance and creates randomness. So good I'm using it in old missions as well.

I've found this to be true as well. Really adds some welcome variation to the earlier season's scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Van Straaten
msg tools
I've tried 6 survivor missions with 4 survivors and what i realised is that with each player phase you have 6 actions less - (3 actions per survivor, 2 survivors less)
To balance this slightly i give each survivor an extra action from the beginning - so 4 actions instead of 3. I don't give them an extra action when they hit yellow experience, but i suppose you could. You could also limit the extra yellow action to a move.

Downside is you still have only 4 searches per turn instead of 6 which means the number weapons you have in your group is lower and the chance of finding good weapons is lower, but i like the increased difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guerra
msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I've used to play with 4 survivors the 6 survivors missions.

If you add Team Actions and Experience Cards I think it adds a good balance.

About the less number of searches, adding VIPs and Lost Zombivors, helps you to get more equipment.

PS: with a dog you can get 2 searches...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.