Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the 2nd edition is pretty much sold out at the online retailers. Sure you can find it if you look hard but the majority were out of stock a few days ago. Hopefully they'll print enough next time to meet demand with the 3rd Edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Wilbur III
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The GMT site shows a good stock. Maybe the distributors didn't order enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sold out already? Boy, I'm glad I ordered it the day after it my online retailer got his hands on a few copies. I was going to wait until well after Battlelore arrived...just to appease my wife.

Surely this must be GMT Games best ever seller?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just heard from GMT on this. They have sold about 2,000 of the 5,000 print run. Obviously, the retailers and distributors will be putting in new orders soon. So, while things are moving nicely, you should be able to get the game relatively quickly. Of course, if you really can't wait, you can always order from GMT direct.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many copies were in the first print run? It is sort of a bummer that really great games only sell 10,000 copies. It really puts the damper on my fantasies of being a famous game designer, with all the glory and groupies that entails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark, the first print run was 3,000. For what its worth, 10,000 is a fabulous success for wargames, and a good success for an American run of Euros. There is no money in traditional gaming. Someone over on Consimworld correctly labeled it a form of vanity publishing -- like small book runs. That's about right. I'll never come close to recouping my costs. But that's OK, I'd be spending money on the hobby one way or the other. Now I just have a good excuse to use on the wife.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonMatthews wrote:
Mark, the first print run was 3,000. For what its worth, 10,000 is a fabulous success for wargames, and a good success for an American run of Euros. There is no money in traditional gaming. Someone over on Consimworld correctly labeled it a form of vanity publishing -- like small book runs. That's about right. I'll never come close to recouping my costs. But that's OK, I'd be spending money on the hobby one way or the other. Now I just have a good excuse to use on the wife.

When you mention "recouping your costs" are you referring primarily to all of the time you've spent designing the game? I hate to think that you won't recoup actual cash you've ponied up for promotion, prototyping, etc. Oh and I managed to get one of the last copies from http://timewellspent.org and it should be here soon. Yea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

[/q]
When you mention "recouping your costs" are you referring primarily to all of the time you've spent designing the game? I hate to think that you won't recoup actual cash you've ponied up for promotion, prototyping, etc. Oh and I managed to get one of the last copies from http://timewellspent.org and it should be here soon. Yea![/q]

Well, I mostly mean time, but a little of both. We were developing this game for 5 years. I attended WBC and Origins for each of those 5. I would have probably gone anyway, but the game made going a bit more imperative. Those events are large money sucks. Also the costs of prototyping etc. are not insiginificant. Particularly if you are making playtest copies. Of course, you can rely people to be self motivated to put together stuff -- and eventually we did -- but when you are a new designer with no rep, this is hard. If you figure in time, the ratio of return is laughable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is literally sitting on my front porch at home right now - delivered by FedEx. Ordered in mid October from ThoughtHammer.com and it has been a long frustrating wait for the game to arrive. Come on 5 so I can get out of this cube and go dig into an incredible game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine came today, Jason, from Thoughthammer using FedEx.

Thanks for your effort in helping to make this wonderful game!

-Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3,000 in the first run and 2,000 sold in the second run - and over 800 of those are BGG users (owned = 803). Nearly 20% - that is a pretty good representation here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a bit sad that people who make great games like this don't make much money out of it, even after paying $40-50 for cardboard and couple of dice. I'm not saying you should become rich but it would be nice if a successfull wargame added a significant amount to your yearly earnings! This could only serve to "inspire" increasingly better games. Although as it is there really are a lot of great games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
3,000 in the first run and 2,000 sold in the second run - and over 800 of those are BGG users (owned = 803). Nearly 20% - that is a pretty good representation here.

Quote:
Just heard from GMT on this. They have sold about 2,000 of the 5,000 print run.

So if the first run (3,000) sold out, then the second run is 5k, and is 40 percent sold already (in a matter of weeks). So it looks like they are well on their way to hitting 10,000 copies. I've never sold 10,000 of *anything*. The last town I lived in didn't have a population that high. That's 10,000 people thinking about the cold war in interesting ways. Most academic texts don't get that kind of distribution. Cool^2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up mine through the GMT P500 and got it last week. Was in the Compleat Strategist last Wednesday and saw plenty of copies on the shelves.

Full price for me was $50 with shipping, but it was a lot less than I was finding it for on eBay when I went looking (and when it was there).

Heard great things about this one and I am looking forward to getting it on the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine arrived a couple of days ago, and I finally brought myself to removing the shrinkwrap. Let me just say that trying to read the rules while watching "The Devil Wears Prada" with your wife will pretty much make your head explode. Weak movie too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good warning on the Devil Wears Prada. I think we have that coming on Netflix.

Note to self: don't read rules that night...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.