Rob Leveille
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yuk

This is about the ugliest game I have seen in a while, and I'm not just talking about the garish components.

The review for Pirate King was obviously written by a 'shill' - most likely the game designer himself - in a sad ruse to convince us of the merits of his game. This shill - as is so often the case - knows almost nothing of the BGG community, or modern gaming in general.

His review must be intented for non-BGGers, as his reference to the 'roll-and-move mechanic of classic games' demonstrates. He feels that his new mechanic (simply a modified roll-and-move) is groundbreaking. 30 seconds perusing the 'Geek would have corrected him on this error, if he were so inclined.

Sadly, the truth is that the review was not for us at all. This shill would have been happy if the BGG Irregulars would have passed over this product altogether. His perfect rating and glowing review were intended instead for potential retail outlets. He could refer them to his entry to see how well loved his product is.

Well, there's not much we can do about this kind of abuse of our community. Every neighbourhood gets its vacuum cleaner salesmen, its pamphlet handlers. These shills belong to us.

All we can do is let the perpetrators know that we are on to them, and will mar their perfect reviews with comments such as these.

I don't know if this is a good game. I probably will never play it. But based on the hundreds of games I have purchased and played, based on the hours and hours I have spent researching games on this very site, based on my experience with similar mechanics, based on discussions in forum groups with like-minded gamers, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that this is probably a really bad game that no serious gamer would be interested in. It looks like its intended for the Monopoly/Risk set, a kind of Pirates of Candyland.

a little note for Dan Fournie (aka loonyatvi): look up a fellow named Jeff Widderich. He tried probably the biggest shill scam on BGG a little while back. He had created multiple accounts (you've probably contemplated this already) and made a crazy web of reviews, geeklists and forum posts trying to shill "the perfect answer to 4 player chess". It blew up in his face. I don't know if he actually sold more games because of his acts, but I do know that a lot of people avoided his products like the plague. It turned out that his CardChess was actually a neat little product - not all he claimed it was, but worthy of checking out. But the animosity he'd earned here had cost him the respect - and potential support group - that might have helped his early career. Choose your path now - keep shilling for the fast buck based on your lame deceptions, or join the community and work with it: if you're onto a good idea, this is the right bunch of guys to give you a hand. All the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Heberer
United States
Lake Stevens
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean that really got out of hand fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
This concern seems to have been brought up in the review's thread. I've seen worse shilling, to be sure. I would like it if the game's rules were available so we could determine if the game is sucky or not. Remember the tried and true mechanism of roll and move was in such recent games as Skull & Crossbones by Avalon Hill, and I played that game. It wasn't the devil. It wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either. This could have a very similar feel.

Anyways, in short, I hope this isn't a precursor to more shilling but rather an honestly happy reviewer that saw a game that reminded him of other games they know and love. Some people like Risk and monopoly you know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are available on their website now. Check it out! Note the pirate ships in the back . . . I was like, "Whaaaaaaaa?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Abramowitz
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the first review was a shill or not, but I can say that I was able to play the game today at a local hobby store in L.A. (where the game is availible for sale at a number of stores) with the designer of the game. I would strongly disagree with the statement that this is "a really bad game that no serious gamer would be interested in".

I'm more of a wargamer than a Eurogamer - but this game had enough player options to make it comprable to most Eurogames. I don't feel qualified to give a review after one play (and I really don't have the patientce to write a full review), but I can say that I enjoyed playing the game (so it would be in my 7/8 range so far), and there are a number of options availible to the player each turn on what to spend loot on, and how agressive/passive to play - either like a merchant captain delivering goods to ports or like an aggressive pirate. I will say that the game has an amazing array of compoenents. Yes the ships are like the ships in Pirates of the Spanish main (although in Pirate King you don't remove pieces when the ships are damaged but the game also includes tiny metal cannons that stick to the ship via magnets, tons of plastic flags to denote control of colonies, many cardboard counters for the colony improvments, Three or four decks of laminated cards (crew, loot, random-type effects, etc.) a mounted map, colored beads and plastic gold coins for loots, tiny treasure chests and dice cups (that aren't neccesary, but are a nice extra).

The only downside for me is that I fell behind rather early (spent all my money early on colonies without foritfying them and they got picked off rather early) and didn't feel that there was much I could do to get back in the game. Although that might not be the fault of the game but the fact that I made some really bad deicisions on where to spend my money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P G
United States
California
flag msg tools
My definition of a person who is hard core - Someone whose sole purpose, outside of family and work(and sometimes at the cost of family or work), is to immerse themselves completely into the thing they like doing most and nothing else. He/she knows most if not all every fact past present and future about the object(s) of their desire. They openly show and discuss their desire to anyone who will listen constantly.

Please feel free to add to this definition.

Now, I don't consider myself to be a hard core gamer but I do like supposed "hard core" games such as Settlers of Catan, Shogun, Axis and Allies, Risk and Munchkin Foo to name some. Lets say someone(like me) likes a game and decides to tell people about it such as I did in this forum. Just because this game might not be "hardcore" or re-invent the wheel of time doesnt mean the game is bad or might not appeal to "hard core" gamers. I'm sure you rate a game high that I might hate but I'm not going to flame you for it just because you think its good. That's your opinion. You can post why you don't think the game is good but don't go flaming another person for talking about a game he likes. This forum is about talking about your favorite games and games you like, correct? No need to make multiple accounts here =P Why would I?

A game is a game. You like it or you don't. Some hardcore gamers love games made for the "general public" and some "hard core" gamers hate games supposedly made for them. I'm sure you have liked a movie, music, games, food, bath products, etc that a majority of the population have liked or didn't like. Are you going to stop liking something if it gets too popular? Are you going to stop liking something because everyone realizes it's good? Come on. Everyone takes life too seriously. "Oh man you're not hardcore because you like such and such board game, band or video game" or "You're not hardcore because you don't like such and such video game, band or board game".
Stop pigeon-holing and living your life into some category or way of life because that's the way you think you have to act or be and like or don't like. Like something because you like it and live your life your own way and not by some sort of stereo-type. Enough of my rant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phelonius wrote:
yuk

This is about the ugliest game I have seen in a while, and I'm not just talking about the garish components.

You're SO off the mark here...

I received this game from my wife as a Christmas present today and it is an extremely attractive game, especially for a smaller publisher! My only "criticism" thus far (I haven't played it yet) is that it's actually OVER-produced with lots of glass baubles, lavishly illustrated cards and tiles, plastic flags, full-color rule book, plastic treasure chests, punch-out ships (ala the WizKids pirates games) and an ENORMOUS box to contain it all... And I should also mention something that will largely go unseen... The red, textured foil backing on the underside of the game board! That's just crazy!!!

Anyway, it may not be everyone's cup of tea and trust me, after I've played it, I will post honest comments and a rating, but to say it's "ugly" in your first sentence just negated all the rest of your comments for me because you are absolutely WRONG in that criticism!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Pham
United States
Whittier
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You review did more to attack the creators and someone who supposedly did a false review rather than laying out your criticisms of the game.

This is known as ad hominem argument. Please try to restate your criticisms again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played the game, then how can you possibly slam it? Shilling or not, I think you are wrong here. Next time, play the game then slam it. Whether or not I get the game, for $10, you get a lot of game for the money....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.