Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Helge Großmann
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is it just me or did all the Germans who watched "Das perfekte Promi-Diner" on TV look up this game on the geek? laugh

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might explain it.

Out of all the gay men I know, only a handful would not be offended by this game and actually find the campiness fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That might explain why on the ebay thingy on BGG that Gayopoly was going for nearly $300 USD. Still, it's a monopoly and must burn. angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, dear.

We've been through this before.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/101996

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The game is hilarious! I'd love to have one for the campy components alone. Anyone who gets offended by this has no sense of humor, it is very much of that time period in U.S. culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
richardolen2 wrote:
Oh, dear.

Well, they never did settle the important question:

Can merely looking at a boardgame make a person gay?

I can not speak to that particular matter. However, I do know that I played St. Petersburg once, and now all I do is bribe nobles, exploit the serfs, and finance opulent construction projects for the Czar. Then I merely saw a picture of Roads to Leningrad and felt inexorably compelled to lay siege to the city until the citizens resorted to cannibalism.

Don't get me started about the time I hovered my mouse over a religious website and became an omnipotent deity.

Whew. Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this game. Hadn't seen it before. I've been too busy playing Gaylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for the "Brokeback Mountain" expansion for Bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got it for my gran for this Christmas.

Dirty old minx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yann Best
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
The game is hilarious! I'd love to have one for the campy components alone. Anyone who gets offended by this has no sense of humor, it is very much of that time period in U.S. culture.

Yes, unfortunately that time period wasn't a brilliant one for gay culture (better than preceding, certainly, but still hardly brilliantly accepting). It's an horrific title full of offensive stereotypes - of course not everyone will find it so, but it still offends enough people, with good reason, that it's not really defensible. How would you feel about a game which expected the same of, say, black people? Playing up to stereotypes (I won't list any, but I'm sure you can imagine), asking players to act like stereotypical black people - can you not see how that could be offensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it's going further up the list because people like me... and perhaps you... saw "Gay Monopoly" and went, "Wha...?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I was under the impression that all versions of Monopoly were gay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yprbest wrote:
diamondspider wrote:

Yes, unfortunately that time period wasn't a brilliant one for gay culture (better than preceding, certainly, but still hardly brilliantly accepting). It's an horrific title full of offensive stereotypes - of course not everyone will find it so, but it still offends enough people, with good reason, that it's not really defensible. How would you feel about a game which expected the same of, say, black people? Playing up to stereotypes (I won't list any, but I'm sure you can imagine), asking players to act like stereotypical black people - can you not see how that could be offensive?

I think there is a game about people of colour and its Darkies in the Melon patch. Is it a bit stereotypical? Maybe I do not own the game and thus am not in a position to comment. The monopoly mechanics lend themselves to making games about different topics. So something situated in Harlem, Africa or some plantation would be easy to make up. Game play would still be less than mediocre though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
I think there is a game about people of colour and its Darkies in the Melon patch. Is it a bit stereotypical? Maybe I do not own the game and thus am not in a position to comment. The monopoly mechanics lend themselves to making games about different topics. So something situated in Harlem, Africa or some plantation would be easy to make up. Game play would still be less than mediocre though...

Something lost in the translation?... lets hope so!

Or its Tally-ho!!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If nothing else, it has resulted in one BGG thread breaking the world record for the most "openminded people" accusing everyone who disagrees with them of bigotry in one place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richardolen2 wrote:
Oh, dear.

Quizoid wrote:
I'm sure it's going further up the list because people like me... and perhaps you... saw "Gay Monopoly" and went, "Wha...?"

#1 on the hotness today. And so the cycle begins anew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atomzero wrote:
If nothing else, it has resulted in one BGG thread breaking the world record for the most "openminded people" accusing everyone who disagrees with them of bigotry in one place.

You've got a real knack for calling it like you see it.

I mean, someone calling for revoking rights for a group of people is bad and all, but calling that person a bigot? That's true close-mindedness.

Hopefully we can all be as astute as you in calling out these horrible examples of intolerance that lurk here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
A more analogous example would be "Life as a Black Man". Check it out and draw your own conclusions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yprbest wrote:
diamondspider wrote:

What decade? 70's blaxploitation movies seems a pretty safe arena for a monopoly theme when looking at the recent homages to that era of very specific genre. I am hoping we are all grown up enough that we don't have blanket reactions and everyone understands that Gay Monopoly doesn't now or ever represent what it is to be gay - just like some blaxploitation themed 70's monopoly wouldn't be taken as gospel. When i watch Lord of the Rings movies i don't assume that all male elfs are a bunch of femmies just because at that specific time and place they are being presented as so in that specific movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame the activities of April 1rst, which put this particular version of Monopoly in all search results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny H
China
Dongguan
Guangdong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrew Snyder wrote:
I blame the activities of April 1rst, which put this particular version of Monopoly in all search results.

This makes sense!

Welcome to BoardGayGeek.com fellows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does this entire thread make absolutely no sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S.
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
Well, this is just silly.
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

It's not just you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin long
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richardolen2 wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

It's not just you.

No sense of humor? Or do I don't get you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
treece keenes wrote:
richardolen2 wrote:
NateStraight wrote:

It's not just you.

No sense of humor? Or do I don't get you

Q: Is there a single post in this thread that makes any sense given what's come before it?

A: No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.