Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since today is the 200th anniversary of the battle, and I'll not get another centennial anniversary chance until 2115, I played a game.

Turn 1. 2pm.
The Dutch deploy forward and to the West. The initial French advance ends in a ferocious artillery bombardment which forces the Dutch back. Not a good start for the Allies:

Turn 2. 2.30pm.
The French fire their cavalry forward, and the Dutch are forced to form square. Meanwhile Foy's 9th division is working its way around the unguarded Eastern flank, and some of Bachelu's is advancing into the Bois de Bossu:

Turn 3. 3pm.
Jerome's 6th division arrives to take over the imminent assault on Gemioncourt, freeing Bachelu to move forward. The Dutch concentrate in front of Quatre Bras, while a newly arrived British brigade of 5th Division and the Dutch light cavalry hold the Flank against Foy. In every game I've played, the Prince of Orange is killed or injured, and so it was again this turn where artillery fire on Gemioncourt forces him to leave the field seriously (but not critically) injured:

Turn 4. 3.30pm.
The French consolidate their advance. Gemioncourt falls, and other Dutch forces are swept away. Fortunately, for the Allies, more reinfocements are arriving. The entire British 5th division is now in place, and some Brunswickers too:

Turn 5. 4pm.
The turn started with the French moving forward and launching an abortive attack on the Brunswickers and British. Then, the British attacked and forced a hole in the French line. The Dutch and Brunswick light cavalry seized their chance and drove through to attack the vulnerable artillery in the rear, defended only by a weak French brigade:

The French were swept away:

Turn 6. 4.30pm.
The French launched their own cavalry, under Pire to see off the Allied cavalry and shore up their line:

They should have won, but a sacrificial counter-attack by the Dutch and some poor rolls led to both the French cavalry being forced to retreat, only 1 hit away from elimination.

The Allies took their chance. The British attacked, and a Brunswick column followed through to the demoralised French second line:

The French cavalry were too damaged to resist, and the entire French force was swept away.

The French had lost half of their infantry (4 out of 8 brigades), all of their cavalry, and three-quarters of their artillery. The Allied losses were also high, but they had two more divisions imminent and were in a dominant position. It was 5pm and the French conceded:

A major Allied victory, which would theoretically mean that at least 2 Allied divisions would be able to fall on the French flank at Ligny - potentially winning that battle for the Allies and ending the war 2 days earlier than Waterloo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good read.

Please add the game and link the session reports in this geeklist:
What games have you played in the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an interesting design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kershaw
Ireland
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
WARGAME!
badge
Lines of Battle: Quatre Bras 1815. Brunswick hussar.
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Looks like an interesting design.

It was good fun to do. I think this battle was a bit cramped so I did a new game Albuera 1811: A Lines of Battle Game & I also took the opportunity to improve the rules for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.