Subject: Looking for opinions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Torrens
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
It would seem that this game is about halfway through its campaign, and I'm used to seeing a discussion on this site by now; impressions, pros and cons, viscious arguments... And I get... One post about a player mat?

I'm wanting to hear people's impressions about this one, as I love the art, but I've got a 5 month old at home and my brain isn't processing the rules at the moment.

So, can anyone tell me if this is worth backing? Any of the 138 backers want to share what made you drop a few bucks on this? Anyone want to share why they decided NOT to back this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KarmanMonkey wrote:
It would seem that this game is about halfway through its campaign, and I'm used to seeing a discussion on this site by now; impressions, pros and cons, viscious arguments... And I get... One post about a player mat?

I'm wanting to hear people's impressions about this one, as I love the art, but I've got a 5 month old at home and my brain isn't processing the rules at the moment.

So, can anyone tell me if this is worth backing? Any of the 138 backers want to share what made you drop a few bucks on this? Anyone want to share why they decided NOT to back this?

I am not much of an avid Kickstarter backer, but this one did catch my attention mostly because of the "...movement-based sci-fi deck-building strategy game..." description. It hit on many levels and the concept of "movement-based" intrigued me. However, after briefly looking at the rules and the little play through video, I'm not sure the game is as revolutionary as I was hoping. But the biggest reason I don't plan on backing is that the 2-player game is $20 plus shipping ($25 total?). I have no doubt that when the game goes retail, I'll be able to pick it up from an online store for something around $15 and free shipping. I'd get the side benefit of being able to see non-hyped average Joe/Jane reviews and comments to decide if the game is worth even the $15 in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game's art is what caught my eye initially. I'm one of those KS backers that will back any game I see that interests me and then check up on it as the campaign progresses. I cancel about 75% of my pledges as many campaigns leave a lot of unanswered questions beyond how they look.

This campaign actually posted a gameplay video, which revealed solid rules and smooth gameplay. Additionally, they made the game mat available to people who like the aesthetics and allowed backers to vote on the design. Also, this isn't one of those kickstarters that look as if they'll need to hit multiple stretch goals to be a good deal. The base game is polished and complete.

I think games like this are why Kickstarter exists. It's a project and a designer worth backing, in my opinion, and deserving of your pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taran Kratz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! I am the Designer for Helionox - The Last Sunset. The short game play video I posted is just a primer on a few of the games's mechanics. I will likely post another video in the next couple of days as it's tough to get good solid game reviews. One thing I did not do well was distribute the game to reviewers prior to the Kickstarter launch - a mistake I will not make again. What can I say? I'm new - but the game is solid. We will likely be making tweaks until the day we go the printer because there are so many variables but it plays very well in my extremely biased opinion

Anyway, I'd love to see more discussion going on here and I'll happy to answer any questions anyone might have. I'd also love some opinions on what I can do get the word out!

As for waiting for it to hit retail - without Kickstarter, that simply won't happen. Like I said, I will be posting more game play videos soon and if you happen to be in the Seattle or Portland area, my team and I will be running demos all over the place! Find us on Facebook for details there.

https://www.facebook.com/zeroicgames
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello I helped playtest this game and have seen it through its development. This game brings an interesting mix of play styles to modern deck building.

You have many ways to accomplish what you need to do and many different things to do. Balancing your focus on deck building, location powers, and solving crisis is a very novel task.

It has some of the best player interaction I have seen in this category so pick up two sets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
United States
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Backers want something exclusive for taking a risk on your game. This makes non backers sad but they aren't the ones who are going to fund your game any way you slice it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little late to the post, but I will tell you why I backed it. I played it tonight, twice. I played two players, then three. It seemed like a lot of rules and things to remember, but once I got the cards in my hands it just flowed. It seemed to take on a lot of great things from a lot of different games - Ascension meets Star Realms meets Space Hulk: Death Angel. And some great original mechanics as well. The locations felt good. The art is beautiful. The components looked good (way better than I expect for a prototype). I was just very impressed.

On top of that, the creator and the artist were both cool dudes. Can't beat that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.