Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Here is what I am looking for:

1. a chess/rpg combination
2. played on a chess-type board (squares or hex)
3. units have different moving abilities (like in chess), offensive abilities, and defensive abilities
4. in chess, you simply take the other man, but i would like to battle with dice to see which unit will be removed. the dice battle will take into account the unit's stats.
5. it would be nice if cards also came into play (e.g., to improve unit stats
6. like in chess, i would like it to be very strategy/tactics oriented
7. basically, i am looking for chess with an rpg element (e.g., unit abilities, dice, cards, etc.)
7. it can be table top or computer based

Even if you cannot think of a game that is exactly like what I have listed, please recommend something close. Thanks in advance.

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ross
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: HELP: Looking for a CHESS/RPG type game...
Dungeon Twister. Goofy name, good game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12995

Expansions take it from a 2-player game to 3-4 and make further customization possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, in all truth, there are dozens of games that fit these parameters, with some elements being stronger in some games or others.

It really sounds like Titan, but that's very hard to find. You might be talking about BattleLore. NaviaDratp, with the exception of dice. Or Dungeon Twister as mentioned. It really depends which elements you want most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister or BattleLore are your two best bets for in-print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
NaviaDratp is probably your best bet (it's based on Japanese chess), but BattleLore and Dungeon Twister would be suitable too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Knightmare Cgess a try.

It's chess with cards that change the pieces in different ways and do things to the board as well.

Really very interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly if you type chess into a game search you will get a lot of rpg-like chess variants. However, if you are looking for a totally new game that has similar elements, the games suggested would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Well, I just got in my first game of dungeon twister a few days ago, and it sounds like what you're looking for. You have a variety of characters each with some special ability. Your opponent has the same array of characters. You try to kill his guys and move from your end of the dungeon to his. Very anayltical game. Almost felt more like a puzzle than a game to me. Like I said, I've only played once, so you might want to check out some other views on it, but it's the closest to "Chess + RPG" that I've seen.

Another very fun game is Collosal Arena. If you're a fantasy RPG fan and a boardgame fan, than I think you will probably like it. Players take the role of bettors at a cosmic arena where fantasy monsters are fighting it out as gladiators. There's bluffing and backstabbing and push your luck elements. Not very chesslike in feel but a game I highly recommend in general, and would to an RPG fan especially.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate it. It is down to BattleLore, Dungeon Twister, and/or Navia Dratp. This is a great community of enthusiasts. Thanks.

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to the games already mentioned, also take a look at Lionheart and Feudal.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
In addition to the games already mentioned, also take a look at Lionheart and Feudal.

Clark

These are also good ideas. Lionheart is a bit light, but has some really cool elements to it. My brother-in-law grabbed it at Toys R Us for $10 a few years ago and we definately got our moneys worth out of it. Feudal is also pretty solid. No dice with fuedal, but there is terrain and different abilities for each unit. Feudal really shines in the 4 player free for all style (if you can find 3 like minded individuals). Both are worth checking into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I advise against Battlelore if you're looking for a "chess-like" game. BattleLore runs on the same "engine" as Battle Cry, Memoir '44, and Command and Colors Ancients- cards that activate units. If you don't have the card in your hand that is needed to use a certain unit, than you can't use the unit. The chess analogy would be having your opponent right where you want him- all you need to do for mate is move your pawn up one space....but you're not allowed to move that pawn this turn- don't have the card. soblue

I'm not bashing the game or the mechanic- it's a pretty good effort at simulating the chaos of battle, lost orders, etc, but not very chess-like. At least to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Leuchtenburg
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also take a look through the wide variety of chess varients found here:
http://www.chessvariants.com/ithemed.html

I haven't found any yet which use dice, but I'm sure they must be in there somewhere. Plus, there are such variants as "Relativistic Chess" and "Particle Collision Chess", which are.. well, interesting, at any rate. I'm not sure that I'd want to play them, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fredmeyer71 wrote:
Thanks for all of the replies! I really appreciate it. It is down to BattleLore, Dungeon Twister, and/or Navia Dratp. This is a great community of enthusiasts. Thanks.

Fred

Navia Dratp isn't a bad game, but honestly if those are the three you are looking at, I would narrow it down to battlelore and dungeon twister. ND isn't bad but just not in the same league as dungeon twister. I haven't played battlelore but I have played many other C&C games and battlelore I am sure is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sturk
United States
Hudson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't seem to fit all the criteria, but Dreamblade *sorta* reminds me of chess and you resolve attacks using dice taking into account the stats of the pieces involved. I've read that it's similar to the previously mentioned Navia Dratp although I have never played that game. I believe they are also common in that they are collectible miniatures.

There are no cards in Dreamblade to boost units but there are some peices that boost others etc. And it is played on grid like checkers/chess. There isn't a LOT of diverse movement as far as what the pieces can do but there are lots of abilities that can control movement on the board.

~telengard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Meyer
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
For now, I have been playing Battle Bowl online through FUMBBL. For now, it is satisfying my wants, but I plan on checking out the other three games soon. Having someone to play with that is into these kinds of games is a problem, so playing Battle Bowl online is another plus. I am leaning toward checking out Dungeon Twister first. Thanks for all of the help!

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
an old but classic game stratego i know its not so rpg buts its chess like with more options give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Corthout
Belgium
Lille
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
fredmeyer71 wrote:
For now, I have been playing Battle Bowl online through FUMBBL.

Blood Bowl.

It does seem to fit your description almost perfectly (except for the cards, but on table top those are present too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
fredmeyer71 wrote:
Even if you cannot think of a game that is exactly like what I have listed, please recommend something close. Thanks in advance.

Fred

Chess 2.0; The sequel.

David Sirlin came up with a batshit crazy chess variant.
It has 7 factions of armies, you win if your king crosses the midline and there is deterministic battling whenever you capture a piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars meets all eight of the criteria in the original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Onnen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Summoner Wars. Seems like a good fantastical take on your theme. However, I just watch a YouTube video on "For the Crown" and that seems to be right up your alley. I'll be honest: I don't even love chess, but I want to play this game!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/144567/crown-second-editi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Mage Wars Arena or King Down(kickstarter)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Maybe Mage Wars Arena or King Down(kickstarter)?

Summoner Wars and Mage Wars are great games and I recommend them. However I would call them tactical skirmish games with cards as opposed to a chess-like game...pieces all move the same except for range as opposed to the more formal movement styles in Chess.

For the Crown does have the chess-like movement, together with recruiting different pieces and card effects. It also has a drafting mechanic like Dominion and, with one of the expansions, can support 4 players. I love this game.

I looked at the King Down rules...this shares many facets of For the Crown...card play where cards can either summon pieces or can be used for effects and cards for spells. However there doesn't seem to be any drafting...each side has different powers and you know what those powers are once you select a side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zee Deveel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuroshima Hex!

This could be what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.