Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Version 1.00 of the Investigator and Ancient One editor Strange Eons is now available for download at:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cjenning/eons/

Please note that version 1.00 is unable to open old .eon files. This was unfortunate, but necessary. I promise that any future versions will open any file from version 1.00 onward. As always, please report any bugs, etc. either here or via the feedback form on the web site.

Cheers,
Chris

Here is a summary of the changes since the last major publicized version (0.92):

[*] Items now also include an item class (such as "Tome" or "Mission") that is included in the item description.
[*] Support for random allies, random exhibit items, and fixed exhibit items in an investigator's possessions. List prices assigned to all exhibit items in items.txt.
[*] Custom possessions allows you to specify the exact text to use for an Investigator's possessions. (Useful if you cannot create the desired inventory using the shopping system. For example, you could use this to give an investigator "2 Monster Trophies" as random possessions.)
[*] Choosing the Lost in Time and Space home location automatically generates a footnote regarding Yog-Sothoth.
[*] The free clue for unstable home locations is now automatically footnoted in the special ability area.
[*] The concept of a focus bonus (or penalty) to balance out weak or powerful special abilities has been added. This allows the Rita and Wilson characters from DH to be implemented in Strange Eons. By default, characters with a bonus are marked as Unbalanced unless using either Rita or Wilson's special ability.
[*] It is now possible to create custom items and locations within the editor. These are "temporary:" they last for the current session, and can be saved and loaded with a character. (To create permanent items, use the customization procedures.)
[*] Street locations have been added to the list of standard possible home locations.
[*] Support for Dunwich Horror is now complete.
[*] Preliminary support for the King in Yellow expansion is in place. It has an expansion code (KY) and icon.
[*] Some additional built-in special abilities have been added.
[*] Strict verification of absolute ranges for skills, sanity, stamina, focus, and possessions.
[*] Additional suggestions to guide inventory and special ability selection.
[*] Listing of "Cool Things" about a character.
[*] Moving the mouse pointer over a character sheet pops up a magnifying lens that shows the sheet at full size (but still at preview quality). (Hold down a mouse button to make the lens transparent.)
[*] There is now a built-in default female portrait. You can request a specific built-in portrait in the investigator editor by entering "male" or "female" in the portrait file field of the Portrait tab.
[*] Default investigator's special rule re-worded to accommodate new tomes in DH.
[*] Ancient One doom track length can be set from 1 to 15. I wouldn't recommend a shorter track unless you have a special rule regarding when doom tokens are placed. (One interesting rule might be a length of 6 or so, with a rule that sets the number of doom tokens equal to the terror track. In this scenario, Elder Signs would not remove tokens from the track.)
[*] Start of Battle field added to the Ancient One editor; it will automatically place itself wherever there is the most space, or you can specify a location.
[*] A separate Windows installer is available for installing on Windows. This will add icons to the Start Menu, associate .eon files with the editor, etc. (But Java is still required.)
[*] Additional options for placement of "Special" Ancient One defenses.
[*] Opening existing characters via the command line.
[*] Ability to specify a custom folder for resources using the --res [folder] command line option.
[*] Option to attempt to use 3D acceleration hardware to accelerate character sheet rendering using the --opengl command line option. (By providing this as a command line option, the OpenGL pipeline can be activated even when using the new Windows wrapped executable version.)
[*] Numerous look and feel improvements under Windows thanks to integration of the winlaf patch. Probably the most noticeable result is that you can now Undo in text fields using the context menu under Windows.
[*] Preview rendering behaviour is now constant (either high or low quality) but under user control. Export and Print quality is always high.
[*] The rule use-expensive-powerful-items now defaults to "yes."
[*] A few new tags were added to the paragraph renderer: <h2>, <sup>, <sub>, <u>, <del>, and <tight>.
[*] Some missing characters have been added to the typewriter typeface (My Old Remington), including +, <, >, *, #, and ∞ (the infinity symbol).
[*] The paragraph renderer has been completely rewritten. It now supports automatic line spacing reduction and font scaling to make long paragraphs of text fit. By default, the paragraphs on the Ancient One editor will allow both spacing and scale to be adjusted, while the Investigator editor will only reduce line spacing.
[*] Name and title fields on the Investigator sheet will shrink long text to fit.
[*] Fixed and random possessions now render as a single paragraph, so the Random Possessions label floats and long item lists can be resized to fit (up to five lines of items are now possible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Dean
Australia
Earlwood
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I have a similair (yet MUCH rougher) app for Blood Bowl and it is always amusing to set your game group up with personnel sheets

Is this version set for Dunich Horror yet? Or has that yet to be released there either?

Regaardless...much fun and thanks for the program!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ozjesting wrote:

Is this version set for Dunich Horror yet? Or has that yet to be released there either?

Yes, it includes support for all the items, locations, and special abilities from DH, and it can successfully re-create all DH characters. (The only oddity is Wilson, whose focus is shown as 4 rather than infinite---but this is actually correct according to his errata, so I consider it to be a feature, not a bug.) It also supports adding exhibit items (from CotDP) to either fixed or random possessions.

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thelric wrote:
Please note that version 1.00 is unable to open old .eon files. This was unfortunate, but necessary.

Aaaargh! cry

Thanks for the update, but losing all the old work is definitely VERY annoying.

Ok, now let me explore all the goodness of the new version...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
Thanks for the update, but losing all the old work is definitely VERY annoying.

Sorry about that. The program was originally just for my own use, and the save files were raw dumps of the internal data. In theory it would be possible to write a program that would upgrade the old files, but the time required is just not worth it. I thought it better to upgrade the format one time so that it won't be a problem in future. (Better to lose a few characters now then even more later!)

I suggest you keep the old version around. Then you can open both versions side-by-side and quickly copy your old characters over. Or, just use the old version to view/edit the older characters if they don't need any new features.

Cheers,
Chris

(EDIT: to remove extra quote tag that made it look like Luke wrote my reply.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yes, I understand. But for each character: set his values, type his skill, nudge his portrait. It would be a hassle once, but 24 times... I'm still a bit upset.

However, on the new version (overall a cool improvement, by the way):

-) do we need that "Rendering..." word appearing every time I strike a key or click a button?!? It's extremely annoying. I don't object to the constant rendering itself, just on the word appearing for less than a second each time.

-) the cost for the "extra skill point" is increaased from 8$ to 10$. Why? With 10$ you can buy a Skill giving not only +1 but also the "double Clues effectiveness on this skill", so 8$ seemed a cost more apt. I know it is an "unofficial option", but still...

-) maybe Exhibit Items should cost 5$? There're several encounters in the game offering you either a Unique or an Exhibit item, and the overall power level of the two kinds seems similar, so maybe their cost should be the same as well. I agree that they're "cool things" and shouldn't seen often as starting equipment.

-) you provide the option to rasie (or lower) the Foucs based on how weak (or strong) the special skill is. Yet doing so automatically labels the sheet as "unbalanced". So, why offering the option if it can't be used? More in general: why do you care if I want to create unbalanced characters? It's not as if they're going to be published, they're for my own amusement... [I'm not going to create unbalanced characters in any case, but I wonder about the idea: why to create an option if it can't be used?]

-) when the program needs to open a file, export images, load portaits, etc. it defaults to C:/Documents. However my AH directory is well nested, so I've to click several times to browse my threads before I reach it. Once done (that is: once for portaits, once for loading, once for exporting...), the program reminds it for the whole session, but as soon as it is closed (or even only switched between characters and AOs) it'll be back to the default. Is there a way to change the defeault directory? If not, could it be implemented in future? (I don't know how easy it'd be)

-) when exporting a character (or AO), the .zip file is called like the character, yet the files within are always "front", "back", "readme" (and "marker" for characters). I need to rename them each time (once is nothing, but 24 times...). Could the files be "front_NAME", "back_NAME", etc. (where NAME stands for the name of the character and thus of the .zip file)?

Thank you so much for the great tool! thumbsup

EIDT: typos...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:

It would be a hassle once, but 24 times... I'm still a bit upset.

24?!?

24?!?!?

Quote:

do we need that "Rendering..." word appearing every time I strike a key

No. It is only supposed to pop up when rendering is taking a long time. However, I haven't gotten around to the timing part yet. I actually meant to turn it off by default in this version, but I forgot.

You can turn it off by setting use-rendering-feedback = no in settings.txt as per the customization instructions on the web page. (Or download v. 1.10.)

Quote:

the cost for the "extra skill point" is increaased from 8$ to 10$.
Why? With 10$ you can buy a Skill giving not only +1 but also the "double Clues effectiveness on this skill", so 8$ seemed a cost more apt.

That was also my original assessment (obviously). However, skills are random, whereas an extra skill point can be applied exactly where you want it. Also, the official going rate for specific special "items" like this seems to be $10, even though some of them are clearly not worth $10 in terms of their game value.

I could still be convinced to go back to $8, though.

Quote:

-) maybe Exhibit Items should cost 5$?

My impression of them was that they are slightly more powerful than Unique items, on average. So I set the random cost at $6. Later on, I decided to add them as fixed items as well. But they don't have list prices, so I assigned them list prices based on the existing cards.

Afterwards, I calculated the average value of a random card from the Exhibit deck and I got exactly $6!

Quote:

-) you provide the option to rasie (or lower) the Foucs based on how weak (or strong) the special skill is. Yet doing so automatically labels the sheet as "unbalanced".

The sheet will not be marked as unbalanced if you choose Wilson or Rita's special ability from the drop down list. (Or, if you set trust-balance-adjustments = no then it will never mark it as unbalanced unless use-strict-validation = yes).

Quote:

So, why offering the option if it can't be used?

Nothing about being marked as unbalanced prevents a sheet from being used. It just serves as a warning to anyone using the sheet that the program couldn't verify that the character is fair. Whether or not you find this useful depends on whether you trust the place you got it from and whether you care if the characters are fair.

Here is the scenario I had in mind when I added the "UNBALANCED" mark:

You like to play with new characters, but you are not interested in power gaming: you want nice, balanced characters based on interesting concepts. But you don't want to add up the skill points and inventory value of every character you see, either.

If the character was made in SE, then as long as "UNBALANCED" is not written on it, you don't have to. You only have to check the special ability to see if it is reasonable. If it does say "UNBALANCED", then you know you have to look a little closer.

Now, if nobody ends up using the feature this way, I have no problem with turning it off or making it optional. But once I do that, there is no turning back: you can't trust characters in the way described anymore.*

* Actually, there is a way, but there is no point going into it at the moment.

In the meantime, I have lightened the "UNBALANCED" stamp in v. 1.10 so that it is much less obvious.

Quote:
Is there a way to change the defeault directory? If not, could it be implemented in future?

Yes: download v.1.10 from the web site. It will remember the last directory for each file dialog.

Quote:
Could the files be "front_NAME", "back_NAME", etc. (where NAME stands for the name of the character and thus of the .zip file)?

Sure. I have added this to v. 1.10 as well.

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
thelric wrote:
24?!?

I had several ideas, but no skills with Photoshop or the like. Your program was what I needed to transform notes on paper into "real" sheets. With 16 new characters and 8 new AOs, I've now some extra variety (after the 100th play, you start to crave for it ).

thelric wrote:
I have added this to v. 1.10 as well.

Thank you again, both for the tool itself and for the support of it (and the answers, of course! ).

Have fun! meeple (... I know I will!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.